Painting minis; getting started

MGibster

Legend
I just wanted to give you an example of layering. The base color you see on the pants is Dark Golden Brown by Pro Acryl and it’s the same base color I painted on for the fleshy bits. When I’m done, I’m hoping for pants that look like distressed leather.

9A447251-9EC5-4A60-BDF7-6C04C85E7F3E.jpeg

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just wanted to share a pic of the first minis I painted back in spring of 2020 (though the pic is from later). I figured lizardfolk would be a good and easy place to start, and sometimes I get the urge to strip and repaint them with the skills I have acquired since, but I also like looking at how far my work as come.

1663448341308.png

MGibster

Legend
I just wanted to share a pic of the first minis I painted back in spring of 2020 (though the pic is from later). I figured lizardfolk would be a good and easy place to start, and sometimes I get the urge to strip and repaint them with the skills I have acquired since, but I also like looking at how far my work as come.
If you ever strip them, keep a few around as a reminder of how far you've come.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Behold Sharkenbear!
20220918_121125.jpg

I'm really not happy. All those white spots are driving me nuts. I'm trying hard to get them all. I keep working at this one. I've never tried to strip paint off before. What should I do if I decide to go there with him?

MGibster

Legend
I'm really not happy. All those white spots are driving me nuts. I'm trying hard to get them all. I keep working at this one. I've never tried to strip paint off before. What should I do if I decide to go there with him?
That is a ridiculous miniature and I'm sad I don't own it. Consider priming in black. It's a cheap and easy way to avoid having those white spots show up. Alternatively, make sure you apply multiple thin coats of your base color to ensure complete coverage.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
That is a ridiculous miniature and I'm sad I don't own it. Consider priming in black. It's a cheap and easy way to avoid having those white spots show up. Alternatively, make sure you apply multiple thin coats of your base color to ensure complete coverage.
I probably should have primed in black. This is the one I tried painting black then brown. So some of the spots were missed when applying two different colors. 😖

You too can have your very own sharkenbear and with a $3 off coupon. It's a nifty little set. Everything has 5e stats and lore. And I insist on pictures to be posted of any and all paint jobs.

Wildspire Fantasy Minatures w/ Huge Dragon for DND Miniatures Monsters DND Accessories 28mm Bulk Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures D&D Miniatures & DND Minis Tabletop Miniatures Figurines DND Figures https://a.co/d/89aiZKI

Remove ads