D&D 4E Paizo and 4e.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I have no problem with targeted criticisms of 4e. But if the sole purpose of your post is to proclaim that WotC "fired" you or that you won't buy 4e, then your post adds nothing of value to the discussion and is disruptive and disrespectful to the other posters.

Am I correct in understanding that, in a thread focused on Paizo's relationship to the game, including (if not limited to) if and when Paizo will move to 4e, you feel that stating that there is a fanbase remaining for 3e "adds nothing of value to the discussion and is disruptive and disrespectful to the other posters"?

Because it seems very relevant to me.

Unless, of course, you'd rather drown out the voices of those who are not changing editions so as to get Paizo to switch over all the sooner?

Color me confused.

RC

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Am I correct in understanding that, in a thread focused on Paizo's relationship to the game, including (if not limited to) if and when Paizo will move to 4e, you feel that stating that there is a fanbase remaining for 3e "adds nothing of value to the discussion and is disruptive and disrespectful to the other posters"?

Because it seems very relevant to me.

Unless, of course, you'd rather drown out the voices of those who are not changing editions so as to get Paizo to switch over all the sooner?

Color me confused.

RC

My responses were in response to the "I hate 4e" stuff. The Paizo thread just seems to attract that sentiment more than the others. If you want discuss your joy at Paizo producing 3.5 products, by all means feel free. :)

I for one, won't be buying their 3.5 products. Its clear that Paizo has fired me as a customer. :p

The "go away, you're not wanted here" posts are nearly as annoying as the contentless "WotC is firing their customers! Oh noez!" posts. I think either excitement or grim defeat are fine either one as an attitude here in the 4e forum as long as the discussion is actually adding some real content and not just being emotive stream of consciousness.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Twowolves said:
This is funny, because I see the same exact behavior from the pro-4th ed guys, and not just in this forum but in the General Forum as well. Anything less than 100% agreement and/or fawning admiration for the changes being made draws some pretty snooty, elitist and unkind remarks.

If WotC came out and said the 4th ed core rulebooks were going to be printed on fruit roll-ups, there'd be 4 or 5 specific posters who would say things like "Finally!" or "We've been transcribing our rules onto fruit roll-ups for years now!" or "I for one welcome our new Fruity Masters!"

And don't forget, "If you don't like fruit roll-ups, then you just aren't the target audience for 4th ed. Adapt or perish!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!! That is all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grog

First Post
Melan said:
There is also another emotional element: the way some 4e fans (pre-fans? :uhoh: ) talk about 3e is nothing but infuriating and inhuman.
Inhuman??

Dude. D&D is a game. I really think you need to get some perspective here.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Grog said:
Inhuman??

Dude. D&D is a game. I really think you need to get some perspective here.

Regardless of the specific example here, I think that some people need also to understand that for many people, D&D is much more than a game. Many gamers have played the game for decades. They've invested a lot of time and passion into it. They ran games. They painted minis. They drew maps. They created characters. Created, experimented, dreamed with the game.

That has NOTHING to do with them being "unrealistic", "overreacting", "creepy", "psychologically unbalanced" or anything else like that. They love the game. Plain and simple. And basically what's being told to them more and more is simply "who gives a flying f*** about your love for the game?! Go post elsewhere! Go play another game."

That kind of answer makes me sick.

Last edited:

helium3

First Post
Frozen DM said:
This is my biggest fear. The fact is, message board posters represent only part of a company's audience (and a small one at that). I've noticed many of the most vocal posters on Paizo's boards are strongly anti-4e (because their changing rules, canon, or anything at all).

Yes. Let no one forget what happened to Snakes on a Plane. Internet Buzz does not equal actual market opinion or interest.

Grog

First Post
Odhanan said:
Regardless of the specific example here, I think that some people need also to understand that for many people, D&D is much more than a game. Many gamers have played the game for decades. They've invested a lot of time and passion into it. They ran games. They painted minis. They drew maps. They created characters. Created, experimented, dreamed with the game.
Yes. I've done all those things myself. And you know what? Even given that fact, I've never for a moment lost sight of the fact that D&D is still just a game. If D&D completely disappeared from the planet tomorrow, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would I miss it? Sure. But life would go on.

Changes to D&D will not kill anyone. Changes to D&D will not make anyone homeless. And voicing an opinion about changes to D&D, positive or negative, does not make anyone "inhuman."

So I repeat my suggestion for people to get a sense of perspective about this.

Jim Hague

First Post
Odhanan said:

That has NOTHING to do with them being "unrealistic", "overreacting", "creepy", "psychologically unbalanced" or anything else like that. They love the game. Plain and simple. And basically what's being told to them more and more is simply "who gives a flying f*** about your love for the game?! Go post elsewhere! Go play another game."

That kind of answer makes me sick.

Er, this is not only getting overheated, but definitely weird. It's a crime against humanity now to change a game's edition? It's killing people's right to dream or something? If you're investing that much in a game, I think you need to seriously reprioritze...because it is just a game, and I say this as a gamer of 20+ years.

It is unrealistic, overreacting and unbalanced. When you go into histrionics over things like this, it goes beyond love of the game and being a fan. It goes into fanatacism. Not good.

That kind of response doesn't make me sick, it makes me worried.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Jim Hague said:
That kind of response doesn't make me sick, it makes me worried.

We also all need to remember we're reading posts on a message boards. Not that they are irrelevant. Not that they make no sense. They do. But surely, posting rants on message boards is certainly NOT the same thing as being suicidal, and is certainly NOT an indicator of whether someone is psychologically balanced or unbalanced. Who do you think is overreacting or reading too much into someone else's post, in this instance?

Remove ads