D&D 5E Paizo AP for 5E?

Ackbladder

Explorer
Has anyone heard or seen any discussion about Paizo producing one of their AP's for the 5E rule set? Given the ugly history that led to the creation of Pathfinder, I imagine this is a long shot, but I'm going to keep hoping anyway.

mgshamster

First Post
If you head over to the Paizo messageboards and check out the sub-forum "D&D 4th Edition and Beyond" there are several discussions about converting some of the APs to 5e.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I've been converting them myself. 5E is pretty easy to write material for. I do prefer the Paizo APs to the WotC modules so far, though I'm having fun running Out of the Abyss.

S'mon

Legend
Paizo won't do this, but converting 3e/PF material to 5e is very easy. If in doubt just halve the numbers (AC, Difficulty Class, etc) over 10, eg 20 > 15, 30 > 20, 40 > 25.

Grimstaff

Explorer
While I don't think we'll see a "Pathfinder" AP for 5E, it's not outside the realm of possibility for Paizo to co-produce one for WotC, as with Sasquatch, Kobold Press, and Green Ronin.

pogre

Legend
While I don't think we'll see a "Pathfinder" AP for 5E, it's not outside the realm of possibility for Paizo to co-produce one for WotC, as with Sasquatch, Kobold Press, and Green Ronin.

I know this sounds bizarre, but I think there is a large segment of the Paizo fanbase that would view this as some sort of betrayal.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I know this sounds bizarre, but I think there is a large segment of the Paizo fanbase that would view this as some sort of betrayal.

You think so? I would view it as a business decision and a smart one. Make money on Pathfinder and D&D. I figure WotC would never contract Paizo because of the odd business situation they're in with Pathfinder basically being D&D 3.75+ and WotC starting a new edition. I don't think WotC would want to contract with a company that basically continued their game system splintering their PnP RPG market between an older edition and a newer edition.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't think WotC would want to contract with a company that basically continued their game system splintering their PnP RPG market between an older edition and a newer edition.

If that's the case, it'd have to be higher-ups at Wizards that still held that kind of grudge. I seriously doubt anyone in the D&D department itself holds any ill-will towards Stephens and Mona and the rest of them. They're all just gamers making games. The politics around it are looked at and internalized much more stridently by the fans than the designers themselves.

So if it made business sense for Mike to offer an AP to the Paizo designers, and for Lisa to sign off on it and assign a few of her employees to do it, then I see no reason why they wouldn't. Especially considering the one main positive that would come out of it would be to finally hammer home the idea to the gamer fanbase that the two companies *do not* in fact hate each other (which the fans of both individual companies both seem to want to believe is the case.)

Remove ads