Paladin and Lay on Hands.

mattdm

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
I'm sure this has probably been asked, but I can't find the answer.

Can a paladin use his Lay on Hands ability on himself?

Says target is "one creature", not "one other creature", so it seems like it, yeah.

Iku Rex

Explorer
I'll copy my post from the Core Handbook Errors thread. It should help explain why it's a valid question.

I'm confused by the paladin's lay on hands ability. It may need errata.

Target: One creature
Effect: You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.
(PHB 91)

What is a valid target for this power?

“Creature” or “creatures” means allies and enemies both, as well as you. (PHB 57)

So far so good. The target is one creature, you are one creature, you can target yourself. Simple.

The intent is not so clear. You regain no hit points from spending a healing surge, and then you gain hit points as if you had spent a healing surge. Wait, what?

The fluff description says that a paladin can "grant their comrades additional resilience with a touch of their hands and a short prayer". No mention of using the ability on yourself.

The Healing Hands feat says that when you "use the lay on hands power, the affected ally regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier". "Ally" doesn't include yourself in 4.0 so if you can target yourself with lay on hands this is an oddly worded feat.

And some powers, like the cleric's Cure Light Wounds or the wizard's Jump have "Target: You or one creature", which is unnecessary if "One creature" includes yourself.

Blackbrrd

First Post
My logic is as that "Target: one creature" part of the power is quite clear while the rest is ambiguous. Fluff text never trumps anything, it is often a bit misleading. I will therefore allow a paladin to heal himself.

I bet there will be errata for either lay on hands or healing hands, because they contradict each other to a certain degree. (as it is now you don't get the benefit from healing hands if you use lay on hands on yourself)

That jump or cure light wounds says "Target you or one creature" is probably just bad editing.

Sitara

Explorer
Both would work. Its pretty obvious, the rest is probably just bad editing.

Speaking of which a Dragonborn Paladin (the race is built for this class, its soobvious) is hard as heck to take down dcompared to tehother party members. I mean, being a dragonborn his surges grant 1/4hp + con mod; add to that the healing hands feat for another con mod to healing and then give him decent wis for wis mod to healing.

Wcked!

Paladins got the most love in this edition I have to say. plus, the paladin art is just gorgeous. (like the samurai influence)

Blackbrrd

First Post
I don't quite see how Dragonborn are "made" to be paladins. Half the powers are str based, the other half are cha based. You don't need both stats high. Keeping both cha and str high will make your other stats suffer, and you need wis for # lay on hands per day, con for hp and healing surges, dex or int for reflex defense.

Personally I think the the half-elf and halfling both make great paladins. (dump stating int/str).

Iku Rex

Explorer
Cha is really useful for some powers. Str is needed to wear plate and it also improves your pure damage powers. You want both. Then you need Con for plate armor and healing surges, and Wis for damage and lay on hands.

(My first test character for 4.0 was a dwarven paladin with a focus on defense and self-healing.)

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Iku Rex said:
The intent is not so clear. You regain no hit points from spending a healing surge, and then you gain hit points as if you had spent a healing surge. Wait, what?

I believe it's worded that (kind awkward) way because you are regaining the HP from the effect of Lay on Hands, not from the cost of casting it. For example, the way it's worded, if you use Lay on Hands on yourself, you could still use Second Wind the next round.

I absolutely agree it could have used rewording.

Remove ads