D&D 5E Paladin just committed murder - what should happen next?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Exhibit B as to why subjective morality fails. Human Sacrifice was moral and could one day be so again.
Dude. All you're doing with these posts is digging yourself in deeper. You're repeatedly showing not how subjective morality fails, but how you fail to understand what subjective morality is.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It is moral if that's your perspective on morality. It's not moral to you and me. It is moral to them. Morals are entirely subjective.

Why not? Can't I just decide to believe that killing those that disagree with me and human sacrifice are good things? Then doing those things would be moral for me no?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why not? Can't I just decide to believe that killing those that disagree with me and human sacrifice are good things? Then doing those things would be moral for me no?
Go for it. There are Americans out there that agree with them. You won't be the only one.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But it would be moral for me to do those things right?
Sure, but it wouldn't matter. Perhaps you forgot what I said at the beginning of this conversation. Morality is determined by society. So while it might be moral for you individually, society would still condemn you as immoral. At least western society.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure, but it wouldn't matter. Perhaps you forgot what I said at the beginning of this conversation. Morality is determined by society. So while it might be moral for you individually, society would still condemn you as immoral. At least western society.

But now you are saying it's determined by the individual. Make up your mind!

Yardiff

Adventurer
With metagame knowledge of knowing you rolled well and the dragon still comes back with, "okay, give me the NPC and you can live" I think it's justifiable for the player to believe the situation is a no-win situation

In the fiction with no metagame knowledge the Paladin's acts are definitely unjustified IMO. He still had some negotiating and persuading to do before giving up.

I think this split between what the metagame tells us being different than what the fiction tells us is the cause of a lot of the disagreement.
People keep adding the bolded part when that wasn't what the OP posted. THe only thing the OP posted was that after this strong persuasion roll the dragon said 'give the NPC. I hunger.' That's it there wasn't any this else posted of what the dragon said.

Remove ads