Paladin's mount NA

Lichtenhart

First Post
Does the natural armor improvement that comes with mount's special abilities stack with the natural armor a creature already has?
Is it clearly written anywhere?

hong

WotC's bitch
Lichtenhart said:
Does the natural armor improvement that comes with mount's special abilities stack with the natural armor a creature already has?
Is it clearly written anywhere?

Bonuses of the same type essentially never stack. A light warhorse mount for a 5th level paladin has a natural armour bonus of +4, not +8.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
I thought so, but the PH doesn't state this is a natural armor bonus. It says
Natural Armor: The number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount.
It could be clearer.
Can I assume they don't stack without problems?

BeauNiddle

First Post
to quote:

'Natural Armor: the number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount.'

explicitily explained in the text under the chart - its an IMPROVEMENT. [at least thats what it says in the first printing of the PH]

Wolf72

Explorer
ala familiar

iirc the + should be added to the creatures Nat Armor, it doesn't stack, but increases that much. so if a Horse had +4 from natural armor, then gained +5 because it was a Paladin's horse it would have a total of +9.

I believe it is the same for familiars

Lichtenhart

First Post
Couldn't they call it simply AC's improvement?!

As I said, it could have been clearer.
Is there another ruling about it somewhere? Errata? Clarification? DotF?

Wolf72

Explorer
Sage ... somewhere. Also check T&B for the familiar and Natural Armor stuff.

yes should have been clearer.

(would look for ya, but I get goin!)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I posted this same question a while back. I never really got a consensus, but the bonus does not stack in the character generator. I have ruled that it it does not stack.

Artoomis

First Post
It stacks, no question.

It's not a Nat Armor bonus, it's an improvement to the mounts AC. You ADD it to the mounts Natural Armor bonus to arriuve at the actual Natural Armor bonus of the mount/servant/familiar.

Natural Armor: The number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount. .

From Blackguard:
Natural Armor: This is a bonus to the servant’s natural armor rating.

From Familiars
Natural Armor: This number improves the familiar's AC.

Looking at all three od these together, it's pretty obvious the same thing is stated three slightly different ways and I think it becomes obvious that this is not to be taken as a non-stacking Nat AC bonus.

This has been clarified by the Sage, too, if I remember correctly.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Artoomis said:
This has been clarified by the Sage, too, if I remember correctly.

Yes, and he diagrees with you.

Defenders of the Faith also disagrees - the sample paladin warhorse uses "replaces" instead of "adds to".

Familiars have "+1" or some other value, whereas warhorses have "4" or another value - the "+"makes a difference.

Remove ads