Paladin's mount NA

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Well, actually just "4". The "+" is supposedly implied. :)

Basically, this is the operfect example of the ongoing debate that will never be resolved.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
In my campaign, I have a player who is running a tenth level paladin with a griffon mount. He has had plate barding specially crafted for his mount. If the nat armor is an INCREASEMENT, then the mounts ac will be 29 without any magical items. This is higher than any character in the party. WAY higher. So, sorry, this is not gonna fly in my campaign. It gets the increase only if it's higher than its current value.

Artoomis

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
In my campaign, I have a player who is running a tenth level paladin with a griffon mount. He has had plate barding specially crafted for his mount. If the nat armor is an INCREASEMENT, then the mounts ac will be 29 without any magical items. This is higher than any character in the party. WAY higher. So, sorry, this is not gonna fly in my campaign. It gets the increase only if it's higher than its current value.

Whatever works for your game. AC 29 is good, mind you, but you are the one that let him have a griffon and the plate barding.

Of course, it's arguable whether he could even fly with both a fully equipped paladin and plate barding - seems like a lot of weight!

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Well, its in the book - and he DID put off getting his mount for 5 levels, so I didn't want to shoot it down. He's just into a medium load, which is up to 600 pounds.

Deadguy

First Post
Plate-barded Griffons?

JRRNeiklot said:
Well, its in the book - and he DID put off getting his mount for 5 levels, so I didn't want to shoot it down. He's just into a medium load, which is up to 600 pounds.

Of course it's your campaign, so run it as you will, but per Table 1-1 Special Mounts (Defenders of the Faith, p13), the maximum weight that a Griffon can carry and still fly is 300 pounds. The 900 pounds is for a walking Griffon! He might need to consider very light Mithral chain instead.

Remove ads