Paladin's mount NA

hong

WotC's bitch
ConcreteBuddha said:
Just to clear this up...

The mount's AC in the SaF, page 67 reads:

"AC 21 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 masterwork studded leather barding, +8 natural)"

And the mount is not equipped with any magic items and none of the paladin's items have anything to do with his mount's NA.

Yeah, well, given S&F's reputation for silliness unbounded, I wouldn't take any examples from it as authoritative. :)

Artoomis

First Post
True. It looks like they can fly with 1/3 of what they can carry, so you could adjust from there.

Also, don't forget to use the appropriate slower progression for the mount from DotF, which tells you how many paladin levels is "costs" for the mount.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
ConcreteBudda noted
The mount's AC in the SaF, page 67 reads:
"AC 21 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 masterwork studded leather barding, +8 natural)"
And the mount is not equipped with any magic items and none of the paladin's items have anything to do with his mount's NA.

and Artoomis asked
Can you quote DotF please?

p.46-47
"Jumdish Dour: Male human Pal9 ... Warhorse mount, HD 8d8; hp 45; AC 20 ... masterwork scale mail barding"
Breaking this down:
AC 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 masterwork scale mail barding, +6 natural)
which corresponds to overlap rather than stacking.

-RedShirt

Artoomis

First Post
RedShirtNo5 said:

p.46-47
"Jumdish Dour: Male human Pal9 ... Warhorse mount, HD 8d8; hp 45; AC 20 ... masterwork scale mail barding"
Breaking this down:
AC 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 masterwork scale mail barding, +6 natural)
which corresponds to overlap rather than stacking.

-RedShirt

Actually, +6 Natural AC is just plain wrong.

At 9th level, the Paladin gets 4 for Natural AC of his mount, and the horse has a Nat AC of +4, thus it should be either +8 or +4 Nat AC, not +6.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Artoomis said:
Actually, +6 Natural AC is just plain wrong.
At 9th level, the Paladin gets 4 for Natural AC of his mount, and the horse has a Nat AC of +4, thus it should be either +8 or +4 Nat AC, not +6.

?

My PHB printing has:

Paladin Natural
Level Armor
5-7 4
8-10 6

reapersaurus

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
One of my players said exactly that they were keeping a war horse in mind when making the paladin's mount rules, so instead of a +X like familiars, they made a progression that started with the normal value of a war horse's natural armor. He would agree with CRGreathouse.
under that supposition, the listed NA value would REPLACE the mount's NA, right?

There's no way I'm gonna use a half-celestial mount that loses NA when he becomes a paladin's mount.

Basically, i think it's absurd that it wasn't stated explicitly in the rulebooks.
But it is my belief that it is rather clear that a paladin's mount is intended to be harder to hit than a non-paladin's mount.
Divine grace being applied to the paladin's mount, to further the diety's cause and all...

Does anyone dispute that impression?

A paladin mount with a natural AC bonus of +4 won't live long, unless you buy it a cloak of displacement and really good magical barding. Not like in 2e where paladin mounts were just smart horses.

This shouldn't even have to be discussed. Don't just look at the table, look at the text, where it says a bonus to natural armor (my emphasis). The exact same type of bonus that a half-dragon gets. Look at the half-dragon template in the Monster Manual, then look at the base creature and you will see what I'm talking about.

They just weren't totally clear about it, that's all. Also, SaF seems to have different conflicting examples, and we all know it just full of errors (Halfling Outrider, do we still trust them?). I don't know about DoF.

Remove ads