• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin's mount NA

Lichtenhart

First Post
Does the natural armor improvement that comes with mount's special abilities stack with the natural armor a creature already has?
Is it clearly written anywhere?

hong

WotC's bitch
Lichtenhart said:
Does the natural armor improvement that comes with mount's special abilities stack with the natural armor a creature already has?
Is it clearly written anywhere?

Bonuses of the same type essentially never stack. A light warhorse mount for a 5th level paladin has a natural armour bonus of +4, not +8.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
I thought so, but the PH doesn't state this is a natural armor bonus. It says
Natural Armor: The number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount.
It could be clearer.
Can I assume they don't stack without problems?

BeauNiddle

First Post
to quote:

'Natural Armor: the number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount.'

explicitily explained in the text under the chart - its an IMPROVEMENT. [at least thats what it says in the first printing of the PH]

Wolf72

Explorer
ala familiar

iirc the + should be added to the creatures Nat Armor, it doesn't stack, but increases that much. so if a Horse had +4 from natural armor, then gained +5 because it was a Paladin's horse it would have a total of +9.

I believe it is the same for familiars

Lichtenhart

First Post
Couldn't they call it simply AC's improvement?!

As I said, it could have been clearer.
Is there another ruling about it somewhere? Errata? Clarification? DotF?

Wolf72

Explorer
Sage ... somewhere. Also check T&B for the familiar and Natural Armor stuff.

yes should have been clearer.

(would look for ya, but I get goin!)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I posted this same question a while back. I never really got a consensus, but the bonus does not stack in the character generator. I have ruled that it it does not stack.

Artoomis

First Post
It stacks, no question.

It's not a Nat Armor bonus, it's an improvement to the mounts AC. You ADD it to the mounts Natural Armor bonus to arriuve at the actual Natural Armor bonus of the mount/servant/familiar.

Natural Armor: The number listed here is an improvement to the mount's AC. It represents the preternatural toughness of a paladin's mount. .

From Blackguard:
Natural Armor: This is a bonus to the servant’s natural armor rating.

From Familiars
Natural Armor: This number improves the familiar's AC.

Looking at all three od these together, it's pretty obvious the same thing is stated three slightly different ways and I think it becomes obvious that this is not to be taken as a non-stacking Nat AC bonus.

This has been clarified by the Sage, too, if I remember correctly.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Artoomis said:
This has been clarified by the Sage, too, if I remember correctly.

Yes, and he diagrees with you.

Defenders of the Faith also disagrees - the sample paladin warhorse uses "replaces" instead of "adds to".

Familiars have "+1" or some other value, whereas warhorses have "4" or another value - the "+"makes a difference.

Remove ads