• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paridon Book II: A Taste For Power (IC)

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

Rhiannon covers her mouth and turns away, suppressing the urge to expel her breakfast this morning. She stepped back a moment, gagging outside the room where she waited a few moments before speaking.

"How often does this happen in this job...?"

"Violent dismemberment is, sadly, pretty common," Ru admits, taking a step back from the sight, "Though I do believe this is the first time I've encountered it in a nobleman's privy."

Skyler's face takes on a grim countenance, and a bit of color leaves his features. "How could this of happened?" he asks, turning to face the other constables that had been on the job longer than her. "It surely can't be poison...and no normal assassin could have done this. A demon then, or something beyond the ken of man?"

"I don't know who the killer was, but I believe we're still looking at the weapon, or at least its progeny," Ru says, pointing to the writing mass. "Paridon is full of maggots, but not even they could descend on a corpse this quickly. I don't know what they are, but I'm sure someone back at headquarters does--or knows the proper book to reference to find out."

The monk's eyes quickly survey the room for anything that might act as a strong, sealable container. If he finds nothing, he'll empty his scroll case for use, knowing he can seal it with the wax in his pack.

"If someone has a means of sedating the worms, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm not keen on finding out if they're still hungry."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Let me handle it. Eugene produces empty vials and takes samples of meat, blood, worms and any other such 'items of interest' including d'Marosso fingers. This looks more like he is dead for days or weeks and that we talked with shapeshifter. If not for the sound of this happening I'd say that is what happened.

I hope those eels aren't mothers of these worms, I ate one alive."

Eugene smiles grimly.

He takes samples of food on the table, water and wine and when Mrs. Camilla revives:
"I apologize for asking you at such moment, but we need to know: did Lord d'Marosso change his behavior in last few days? Any change you could notice could be important so hold back nothing. We'll be discreet, whatever you tell us."

OOC: everyone gets +2 to listen spot search and initiative
OOC2: if alchemy or one of knowledges apply here, please roll for me.

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"May Ezra give justice to his soul." Mercy is not really in Father Berman's vocabulary.

Father Berman inspects the disgusting scene, trying to determine if the gore is fresh and racking his brain for anything he might know of that could be related to this.

[sblock=ooc]heal +11, knowledge (religion) +9, spellcraft +9, spot +5 (w/bonus), search +3 (w/bonus)[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
At Eugene's words about the eels, Skyler frowns. Then he breathes a sigh of relief. "I chomped and chewed my way through the eel. I don't think they were the source of these maggots."

Theroc

First Post
Rhiannon was in the hallway, trying not to lose her breakfast currently.

"Well... it seems I'll need a way to... improve my fortitude when it comes to this sort of thing... I've seen dead people before... just... not like that..." She grimaced, making sure not to look back into the room lest she be overcome by the sight and hurl. Whoever did this had to be brought to justice, or the children of Paridon would never be truly safe...

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Eugene pulls out a series of vials, and he and Ru start gathering samples of the worms, food, and anything else they can find.

The worms overrun the fingers, and erupt into a boil.

37533402_de8597eb97.jpg

The worms form a boil.

Fr. Berman looks over the worms, and at first, thinks they might be Mordivermi cardiophagus, more commonly known as rot grubs. Indeed, as Eugene tries to take a sample, the worms attempt to burrow into his flesh--thankfully, quick hands and an alert mind thwart the opportunity.

Yet even with this behavior in mind, these do not react like typical rot grubs--they seek out the heart of the victim, and do not congregate in these numbers in the appendages.

The others look around, trying to find other exits. The windows are a little small for someone like Gustav to fit easily, but they would be wide enough for someone else. However, they are all shut, and their locks are in place. Furthermore, the privy has only the one entrance through the secret door, without exit.

Fr. Berman then notes that any killer or victim, Gustav or else, would have been dripping blood or worms throughout the bedroom, should anyone try to cross it after the event in the privy. Yet the bedroom remains pristine. In addition, there is not enough meat, whether worms, blood, or gore, to account for all of the magistrate.

No, someone or something would have to exit the privy room, and not through the entrance. Fr. Berman and Eugene realize that the only other way out from the privy is down the toilet.

[sblock=credits]
Photo by Synaptic Impulse.
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
As Eugene and Berman come to their conclusions, Skyler strokes his clean-shaven chin and ponders. "The privy opening is somewhat small, but I suppose killers come in all shapes and sizes. I wonder if there is perhaps sewer access from this manor? If not, we should find the nearest entrance and see if we can find any evidence below."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads