Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #2: Kyra, Human Cleric

It's time for the second of the six Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated characters I'll be sharing with you over the next few days. Thanks to Paizo, I have here Kyra, the human cleric! I was asked what order I was doing these in -- I'm going through them alphabetically (alchemist, cleric, fighter, etc...) Enjoy!

Here's what Paizo's Mark Seifter has to say about Kyra:

"Kyra ... has a bunch of different spells, including fire ray from her domain and a whole lot of heal from channel energy. You may have seen heal before in our Spells blog, but it’s worth looking again a just how flexible this spell makes Kyra at healing her allies, both in combat and out. And let’s not forget that Kyra’s scimitar has the forceful and sweep traits, allowing her to build up momentum as she dances like a dervish in sweeping motions."

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.46.10.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.33.44.png

Stay tuned tomorrow, as you'll be making the acquaintance of a delightful chap I like to call Valeros, the human fighter!
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

LazarX

First Post
Um, re-read the second sheet. She has cantrips, like always. Fire ray is a domain power which even in PF1 is only available a set number of times per day, usually based on Wisdom for clerics. There's very little change there.

The real change is in the major nerf to channeling.

HallowedError

First Post
Jester David;7462499 [I said:
Stabilise [/I]takes two actions and brings someone from 0 to 1 hp at range. It's neat that you can always bring someone back into the fight, but that seems like 5e wack-a-mole healing turned up to 11.

Actually in 2E healing someone does not immediately make them conscious. I unfortunately cannot remember exactly how it works but I think they still have to make a save to regain conciousness. Also in one of the playtests the GM ruled that it takes an action to pick up you weapon and another to actually stand up.
So even when they do regain consciousness they aren't at 100% on top of retaining the their spot in the 'dying' states if they go back down right away.

So, skills at first level cannot be "expert" "master" or "legendary" (Or whatever the grades of skill mastery are called. I don't remember at the moment)?As neither the cleric or the goblin have had any skills marked with mastery beyond "trained".

lightblade

Explorer
It looks like PF2 will be keeping the wizard and sorcerer breaking out the sling or light crossbow for at-will attacks.
I believe wizards and sorcerers will get attack cantrips worth using. It's possible that Clerics can get them as well, but Kyra is a more martially-minded cleric and between her reasonable melee (scimitar) and fire rays, they elected to fill her cantrips with standard stuff (Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize, and New Resistance is a pretty iconic set of cleric cantrips).
Given that Sorcerers can pick their spell list by choice of bloodline, I hope that each spell-list will have at least one attack cantrip.

Bill Elmer

First Post
Looks like a herolab/character-builder type app to print the text of spells, items, powers, etc will be really handy.

Yuck, Detect Magic looks really tedious to use. It needs options to restrict the area to line, cone, maybe a single square or item.

I get a DnD 4E vibe from the breakdown of the Feats, Powers, and Spells. I don't think it's actually that close, but I still feel it.

These previews have really helped me understand it's not the game for me. I appreciate that and hope it helps other find it for them.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I get a DnD 4E vibe from the breakdown of the Feats, Powers, and Spells. I don't think it's actually that close, but I still feel it.

I can see what you mean, I think. I don't get much of a 4e vibe at all from the mechanics themselves, but I am kind of getting a "game designers writing for other game designers" vibe from the way things are written up that 4e also gives me.

I actually like that vibe - mechanically PF2 is probably not going to be any of my tables' thing because it seems to lean heavily into the resource management game which the players at my main table are just not interested in at all, and it's "not D&D" which is the only thing that the kids I run games for want to play. But it's definitely looking like a system that I want to grok for the mechanical ideas that I might be able to steal.

Adso

First Post
I actually like that vibe - mechanically PF2 is probably not going to be any of my tables' thing because it seems to lean heavily into the resource management game which the players at my main table are just not interested in at all, and it's "not D&D" which is the only thing that the kids I run games for want to play. But it's definitely looking like a system that I want to grok for the mechanical ideas that I might be able to steal.

I could point out that all games are different forms of resource management, but that's an academic or philosophical point.

We are trying to limit the abundance of different types of long-term resource management that was often all over the play in P1. Resonance has a lot to do with that, wrapping up a bunch of similar mechanics in spell points is another way. Like nearly all playtests, what you see is a draft toward those design goals. Even those of us working on it are unsure how the final mechanics will be manifested. Names might change, the structure might change, maybe we need no worry, and everything looks fine. Hence, playtesting.

That said, we don't want resource management to burden storytelling. We would rather it be a cool and exciting part of storytelling without creating corner cases and exploits that foil storytelling.

Stephen
Pathfinder RPG Senior Designer and map guy

The Human Target

Adventurer
Looks like a herolab/character-builder type app to print the text of spells, items, powers, etc will be really handy.

Yuck, Detect Magic looks really tedious to use. It needs options to restrict the area to line, cone, maybe a single square or item.

Waiting around while someone detects magic over and over again square by square seems like the definition of tedious.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I can see what you mean, I think. I don't get much of a 4e vibe at all from the mechanics themselves, but I am kind of getting a "game designers writing for other game designers" vibe from the way things are written up that 4e also gives me.
I feel more like its too much of a "graphic design for other graphic designers". The constant rectangles and the blocky font are giving it too much of the "antiseptic" vibe that caused such consternation in 4e. You want the info the be usable, but you want a little messiness in the printed book to make reading the book feel more like exploration and less like research.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases