Pathfinder 2's Armor & A Preview of the Paladin!

It was a long bank holiday weekend here in the UK, and I sent most of it in the (rare) sun eating BBQ; there were two big Pathfinder 2 blog posts which went up in the meantime. The first dealt with armour and shields; the other was our first look at the new Paladin class!

It was a long bank holiday weekend here in the UK, and I sent most of it in the (rare) sun eating BBQ; there were two big Pathfinder 2 blog posts which went up in the meantime. The first dealt with armour and shields; the other was our first look at the new Paladin class!

20180507-Seelah_360.jpeg

• Armor now affects Touch AC; each has a different bonus for AD and TAC.
    • Studded leather +2 AC, +0 TAC
    • Chain shirt +2 AC, +1 TAC, noisy
  • Armor has traits, such as "noisy".
  • Armor has a Dex mod cap to AC, penalties to STR/Dex/Con skill checks, a Speed penalty, and a Bulk value.
  • Potency Runes -- Items can be enhanced with potency runes.
    • Bonuses to attack rolls, increase on number of damage dice (weapons)
    • Bonus to AC, TAC, and saving throws (armor)
    • Example studded leather with +3 armor potency rune gives +5 AC, +3 TAC, and +3 to your saves.
    • Potency runes can be upgraded.
  • Shields -- requires an action to use and gain an AC and TAC bonus for one round.
  • Other gear -- gear has quality levels (poor -2, expert +1, master +2)
  • Interact -- this is a new action, used for grabbing objects, opening doors, drawing weapons, etc.

20180504-Gear.jpg

• Paladins! Apparently the most contentious class.
  • Core rules have lawful good paladins only (others may appear in other products)
  • Paladin's Code -- paladins must follow their code, or lose their Spell Point pool and righteous ally class feature.
  • Oaths are feats and include Fiendsbane Oath (constant damage to fiends, block their dimensional travel)
  • Class features and feats --
    • Retributive strike (1st level) -- counterattacks and enfeebles a foe
    • Lay on hands (1st level) -- single action healing spell which also gives a one-round AC bonus
    • Divine Grace (2nd level) -- saving throw boost
    • Righteous ally (3rd level) -- house a holy spirit in a weapon or steed
    • Aura of Courage (4th level) -- reduce the frightened condition
    • Attack of Opportunity (6th level) -- presumably the basic AoO action
    • Second Ally (8th level) -- gain a second righteous ally
    • Aura of Righteousness (14th level) -- resist evil damage
    • Hero's defiance (19th level) -- keep standing at 0 HP
  • Litanies -- single action spells, verbal, last one round.
    • Litany of righteousness -- weakens enemy to your allies' attacks
    • Litany against sloth -- slows the enemy, costing reactions or actions
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

zztong

Explorer
The paladin then tracks down the assassin, and finds the assassin on a rope bridge over a volcano with a new born baby on his back. What does he do?

I look for something that identifies who made the bridge. Clearly they're a very talented engineer with a diabolical mind. They could kill dozens. They're the greater evil. By the way, screw my Paladinhood. I never could understand the code anyways. It's a fighter's life for me. :)

Because people are typically subject to the laws of their surroundings. The paladin doesn't suddenly become exempt from this by virtue of class selection.
No, they become exempt from this by virtue of alignment selection. "People are subject to the laws of their surroundings, right or wrong" is a norm pretty specific to lawful neutral (and perhaps lawful evil, in a twisted way). The clue lies in the word "neutral".

As a side note, the 5E book you quote from does not presume a particular alignment for Paladins.
Fine, make me dig out 3E: "...paladins swear to follow a code of conduct that is in line with lawfulness and goodness... Paladins need not devote themselves to a single deity---devotion to righteousness is enough". This game has been pretty consistently clear that the "law" a paladin follows transcends the mundane laws of kings and queens, or even sometimes gods.

And all screwdrivers are the same right?
Was I using that analogy to claim that all paladins are the same? Have I at any point in any way claimed that all paladins are the same?

(But actually, it is pretty hard to mess up "one part vodka, one part orange juice".)

So lest I risk misunderstanding, are you agreeing with my understanding of your framework and conclusion? 1, 2, and 3, and always lawful good? If so, I have indeed erred, as both components of the paladin's alignment would be more properly labeled as vestigial since there is no set of actions the paladin could take which would alter or affect their alignment in any way.
"These three actions are lawful good, therefore there are no actions that are not lawful good"? Come on, dude, you have to know that logic doesn't hold water.

A few actions which are not lawful good:
  • Undermining the authority of a just monarch or government
  • Indifference to a sincere plea for help
  • Accepting a bribe to subvert one's duty
  • Shoplifting
  • Butchering random people in dark alleys

Last edited by a moderator:

Just to continue the scenario...

The kid turns out to be an assassins in disguised, who poisioned the queens bath water. The queen is now dead because the paladin chose to ignore the law.
The king tells the paladin to hunt down and kill the assassin at all cost.

The paladin then tracks down the assassin, and finds the assassin on a rope bridge over a volcano with a new born baby on his back.
The paladin can cut the brige, sending both the assassin and baby to their doom, or let the assasin escape (the assasin will cut the bridge when he reaches the other side).

He has to act fast before the assassin escapes again. He can kill both, or let the asssassin escape. What does he do?
Given the escalating absurdity of the circumstances, the paladin soon deduces that he is in fact in a hypothetical scenario rather than a real world. He makes a sincere and heartfelt plea to you, the hypothesizer, not to kill and endanger hypothetical innocents just to score points in an internet debate.

S

Sunseeker

Given the escalating absurdity of the circumstances, the paladin soon deduces that he is in fact in a hypothetical scenario rather than a real world. He makes a sincere and heartfelt plea to you, the hypothesizer, not to kill and endanger hypothetical innocents just to score points in an internet debate.

PSSSH! Clearly the paladin uses his charismatic skill to convince the lava not to hurt the baby.

No, they become exempt from this by virtue of alignment selection. "People are subject to the laws of their surroundings, right or wrong" is a norm pretty specific to lawful neutral (and perhaps lawful evil, in a twisted way). The clue lies in the word "neutral".

"People are subject to the laws of their surroundings" has literally nothing to do with class or alignment. What it means is that if there is a law of the land, and you are in that land, the normal expectation is for you to follow those laws. Characters of differing alignments may have differing feelings regarding adhering to that norm, but their alignment doesn't exempt them from the expectation.

It is interesting, though your choice of the phrasing in "alignment selection." It's been my interpretation, thus far, that alignment is intended to describe how others view the actions of the character; these "others" may be characters in game, or the players and DM at the table. If the assumption here is that it's really how the character sees themselves, I see better where you are coming from. There would still be problems (I suspect most people and D&D creatures would see themselves as basically lawful and basically good, at least within whatever context matters to them), but I'd understand better the basis.

Fine, make me dig out 3E: "...paladins swear to follow a code of conduct that is in line with lawfulness and goodness... Paladins need not devote themselves to a single deity---devotion to righteousness is enough". This game has been pretty consistently clear that the "law" a paladin follows transcends the mundane laws of kings and queens, or even sometimes gods.

You really needn't have. If we're already debating whether a new ruleset should restrict the alignment of the class, I don't know what would make you think that a reference to another ruleset in a different system is likely to be persuasive.

That said, if there is this "transcendant law" that paladins are required to follow, it's pretty important to specify what/where it comes from (as the presence of this transcendant lawful force..or whatever.. should have some kind of cosmological implication on the world) and whether it is written down (as following an unrecorded "transcendant law" just means you're lawful because you say you are lawful).

Was I using that analogy to claim that all paladins are the same? Have I at any point in any way claimed that all paladins are the same?
Perhaps not that particular analogy, but basically everything else you've said would seem to line up with that conclusion. But I'm willing to step back a bit. Are you meaning to say that a character is a paladin because they are lawful and good, or that a character is lawful and good because they are a paladin. Or are you saying some other, third thing (For example, if you contend that a chaotic or neutral good paladin are possible, then we're probably just talking past each other).

"These three actions are lawful good, therefore there are no actions that are not lawful good"? Come on, dude, you have to know that logic doesn't hold water.

A few actions which are not lawful good:
  • Undermining the authority of a just monarch or government
  • Indifference to a sincere plea for help
  • Accepting a bribe to subvert one's duty
  • Shoplifting
  • Butchering random people in dark alleys

I'm assuming you just didn't read the list, I'm not really sure what actions they fail to describe.

1. Follow and enforce the laws
2. Follow and enforce the "spirit of the law."
3. If the "spirit of the law" sucks too, ignore/break the law.

Conclusion: If a paladin does any of these, they are lawful good.

Perhaps I should have added "actively subvert or rebel against the laws" in order to cover the complete range of activity, but it didn't really seem necessary at the time. (Note, these bullets only presume the existence of laws, not the morality of those laws and reflect my understanding of the ways you feel a paladin may act and your conclusion that they are in all cases to be considered lawful good).

S

Sunseeker

If nothing else, these last few pages demonstrate exactly the problem with an LG paladin: nobody can agree on what LG actually means without a code of behaviour to define the alignment. And if we have a code of behaviour to define the alignment, shouldn't that be what Paladins follow? Which in turn would make them Lawful Good? Instead of wandering around not knowing their hinie from a hole in the ground?

LOL. Escalating absurdity...hypothetical scenarios. We can agree that 100% of RPGs are hypothetical scenarios, right? And that fantasy RPGs in particular have near limitless potential for absurdity?

I know your point here is that you don't really feel like addressing elaborate hypotheticals.

It's just kinda funny that, by this logic, gods, monsters, and magic all get a pass, but a situation that imperils the oath of a paladin is just ridiculous.

"People are subject to the laws of their surroundings" has literally nothing to do with class or alignment. What it means is that if there is a law of the land, and you are in that land, the normal expectation is for you to follow those laws. Characters of differing alignments may have differing feelings regarding adhering to that norm, but their alignment doesn't exempt them from the expectation.
If you're just saying that the people who enforce the law expect them to follow it and might arrest them if they don't, then sure, that's true of every character. But I'm not sure how that proves anything. As you say, characters of differing alignments can feel differently about following the law, and there's nothing to indicate that a lawful good character should feel obliged to follow a law that is not good. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but their convictions are not neutral on the whole "is it good?" question.

It is interesting, though your choice of the phrasing in "alignment selection." It's been my interpretation, thus far, that alignment is intended to describe how others view the actions of the character; these "others" may be characters in game, or the players and DM at the table. If the assumption here is that it's really how the character sees themselves, I see better where you are coming from. There would still be problems (I suspect most people and D&D creatures would see themselves as basically lawful and basically good, at least within whatever context matters to them), but I'd understand better the basis.
It's a bit of both, really. A character decides what ideals to espouse and what actions to perform. A paladin, in particular, chooses to swear an oath to behave in a specific way. That's what I mean by alignment selection. But the label we give the character's ideals and actions is from us, the players. A character who works as a professional assassin for a criminal cartel but sees themselves as "basically good"... isn't.

That said, if there is this "transcendant law" that paladins are required to follow, it's pretty important to specify what/where it comes from (as the presence of this transcendant lawful force..or whatever.. should have some kind of cosmological implication on the world) and whether it is written down (as following an unrecorded "transcendant law" just means you're lawful because you say you are lawful).
Again, paladins swear an explicit oath. Other characters who follow a higher law rather than the laws of society, like archetypical monks for instance, might evince their lawfulness implicitly by acting in a rigorous and consistent manner.

Are you meaning to say that a character is a paladin because they are lawful and good, or that a character is lawful and good because they are a paladin. Or are you saying some other, third thing (For example, if you contend that a chaotic or neutral good paladin are possible, then we're probably just talking past each other).
I don't even understand the question. Not all lawful good characters are paladins. Perhaps not all paladins are lawful good, but it's the lawful good ones who are relevant to this discussion. And certainly not all lawful good paladins behave the same way. Depending on the campaign setting, they may or may not all swear the same oath, but even those who do swear the same oath are different characters with different backgrounds, personalities, and outlooks.

By virtue of all being lawful good paladins, however, they do share some common traits. They all frown upon butchering random people in dark alleys, to give a trivial example.

I'm assuming you just didn't read the list, I'm not really sure what actions they fail to describe.

1. Follow and enforce the laws
2. Follow and enforce the "spirit of the law."
3. If the "spirit of the law" sucks too, ignore/break the law.

Conclusion: If a paladin does any of these, they are lawful good.

Perhaps I should have added "actively subvert or rebel against the laws" in order to cover the complete range of activity, but it didn't really seem necessary at the time. (Note, these bullets only presume the existence of laws, not the morality of those laws and reflect my understanding of the ways you feel a paladin may act and your conclusion that they are in all cases to be considered lawful good).
Where do I come to the conclusion that they are in all cases to be considered lawful good? I have given no less than five cases in which they are not to be considered lawful good. Your choosing not to regard the morality of the laws is causing you to miss the point entirely.

A paladin who follows and enforces the law is lawful good... if and only if the law is good.
A paladin who follows and enforces the spirit of the law is lawful good... if and only if the spirit of the law is good.
A paladin who ignores or breaks the law is lawful good... if and only if the law is not good.

So if there is a law that abolishes slavery, then a paladin who follows and enforces it is lawful good, and an alleged paladin who ignores or breaks it is not lawful good. But if there is a law that allows slavery, then an alleged paladin who follows and enforces it is not lawful good, but a paladin who ignores or breaks it is lawful good.

In short, lawful good = wants good laws. I am not sure what part of this is getting lost between me and you.

Derren

Hero
One problem with the D20 line of RPGs is that somehow they got the idea that a dexterous guy without armor should be equally well protected than someone with heavy armor. This is not only nonsense, it also makes armor inherently inferior because it is not worn all the time and also saddled with other penalties.
I with people would get away from that and make heavy armor the best protection there is with very good Dex only able to achieve a medium level of protection.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
One problem with the D20 line of RPGs is that somehow they got the idea that a dexterous guy without armor should be equally well protected than someone with heavy armor. This is not only nonsense, it also makes armor inherently inferior because it is not worn all the time and also saddled with other penalties.
I with people would get away from that and make heavy armor the best protection there is with very good Dex only able to achieve a medium level of protection.

Historically heavy armor is only the best under very specific combat conditions. Like everything, it has its ups and downs.

Remove ads

Remove ads