• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Base Classes You'd Like to See

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
This thread is to list some ideas for base classes you'd like to see from either Paizo or 3PPs. Feel free to add to it and offer suggestions for class features etc. If you think something would be better as a prestige class, feel free to say so as well. And if something out there already offers it, please let us know!

I would really like to see a Gypsy base class. Perhaps part ranger, part rogue, maybe some spell casting ability. Something with the ability to see hints of the future.

Edit: Here's a list of 3PP Base Classes I know of (not sure if it is complete):

Adamant Entertainment
Tome of Secrets
Artificer
Knight
Priest
Shaman
Spellblade
Swashbuckler
Warlock
Warlord

LPJ Design
Lost Classes of Fantasy
Blooded Noble
Illusionist
ThiefAcrobat

Tripod Machine
Adventuring Classes: A Fistful of Denarii
Beastmaster
Bounty Hunter
Corbie
Corsair
Gladiator
Hunter
Knight
Martial Artist
Scholar
Scout
Spy

Otherworld Creations
The Genius Guides
Archon
Death Mage
Dragonrider
Magus
Shadow Assassin
Shaman
War Master
Witch Hunter

0one Games
The Great City: Player's Guide
Cultkiller
Ghostblade
Guttermage
Neopagan
Urbanist

4 Winds Fantasy Gaming
Paths of Power
Anti-paladin
Gladiator
Samurai
Voyageur
Witch

Wordcasting Entertainment
The Pugilist Class and NPC
Pugilist

Last edited:

Dredan

First Post
I wish there was a Pathfinder workup of a Warlock. I know I seen some threads that someone is working on it or already has, I just can't find it. Plus I would like to see the designers at Paizo give it a try to see what they would do. Too bad the Warlock is not OGL. You can't use the exact mechanics of the original Warlock due to copyright issues. But still call it a Warlock and spin it! That I would like to see.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Have you looked at the witch? It has a similar vibe (without the "most likely evil" of the Warlock).

I wouldn't mind a spell-casting martial artist class, with a narrow selection of spells. In fact, I may make one (ideas spinning in my head :p). A Dex-based fighter type would be nice, but with the way the Fighter class is layed out, making a specific base class for it would be unnecessary.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Tome of Secrets from Adamant Entertainment has a Warlock base class. They can choose some of their class abilities based on the eight magical schools, so there is room for variation.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I generally hate new base classes, but I think there are three important archetypes crying out for the full 20 level treatment:

1. Swordmage/gish/mage blade/etc. (Unearthed Arcana's "battle sorcerer" comes the closest.)
  2. Leader. Basically a magicless bard. Think 3e marshal that doesn't suck or 4e warlord. A martial character that can buff and enhance allies, and maybe screw with enemies. Lots of immediate and swift actions, movement related abilities and reroll mechanics.
  3. Shapeshifter/Protean. Basically take the druid wildshape ability and go nuts over 20 levels. (For implementation, take a look at TrailBlazer's handling of polymorph/shapechange etc.)

HatedRogue

First Post
would love to see mimic, class something like a Jack of all traits
or marksman who can use any ranged with bonuses
or a Rake would be nice as well
perhaps a pugilist that dont involve anything with a monk that would be real nice
as far as casters classes i would like to see an Adept class that cast only buff spells and touch spell but does so faster then other casters so that it can get good in combat.
or some faith class that uses channel energy as its everything much like the old warloc class

degobi

First Post
i would like to see a pugilist fist fighter class as a alternative to the monk class, maybe have a few options for what style you possess, like boxing, street fighting, kung fu or master of kicks. a good addition to the class would be able to cast touch spells to add to there damage like burning fist or vamperic touch.

ruemere

Adventurer
A class which is not a redesigned fighter (looking at you, cavalier), rogue, cleric or wizard. A class which follows standard progressions of abilities established for other classes (no unique spell lists), yet presents a new approach to abilities. A class which does not multiple new systems (Eidolon).

Sadly, it is hard to make such class, however... off the top of my head:
- Warpsmith - a bardish character specializing in building large wards (to protect whole buildings from astral travel), extradimensional security systems, sort of planar rogue capable of both warping space, building space influencing items and exploring far realms
- Alchemist - another bardish class, this one into crafting items blending magic and alchemy, like clockwork constructs, gunpowder weapons, flying machines, reusable wand guns, mills

Regards,
Ruemere

MerrikCale

First Post
Here are some

1. Shaman: not a spell caster but gets supernatural powers from totems and spirits. The Super Genius version for Pathfinder really fits the bill

2. Gish: My preference would again be a class that does not cast spells. The best I have seen is Monte Cook's Runeblade. But some class that casts enchantments or engraves runes to self buff and whatnot their blade.

3. Noble: Skill monkey 8+ Int. Add some noble talents like the Green Ronin version but I would also take elements of the swashbuckler, i.e, the insightful strike feature

All three classes would bring into play new types of base classes that are not seen in other classes. New mechanics = new base classes to me

Two others are versions of the warlock and artificer that also make use of new mechanics like the eldritch balst

Remove ads