Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder Bestiary 2 Preview

Paizo has shared the Table of Contents and some descriptions of Grendel, Morlock. Ravener, and Serpentfolk from Bestiary 2, which releases on May 27th.

More than 300 menacing monsters and fearsome foes await within a compendium of creatures from the world of Pathfinder! From classic adversaries like giants, dragons, and the jabberwock to potential allies and servants suitable for summoners of every alignment, this must-have expansion to the Pathfinder Bestiary seethes with enemies to challenge characters of any level.

toc1.png

toc2.png

toc3.png

Higgs

Explorer
PF2 is my favourite system by leaps and bounds. When I recently played a PF1 game, it was shocking what a step back it was for me.

Oh yay, wow, looks almost exactly like one of my PF1 bestiaries. Just rebuying the game all over, no thanks. Should have stuck with PF1 and not try to compete with 5e. Sad Paizo went the route WotC did with 4e

Yeah but then I wouldn't be able to play my favorite game, Pathfinder 2nd Edition. So I am glad things went down as they did; PF1E fans have a complete ruleset, D&D 5E fans have a complete ruleset, and now PF2E fans can have their optimal ruleset that is not too crunchy and not too lite...it's just right.

qbalrog

Explorer
Looking forward to having twice as many critters!

As for the 2E skeptics, loving the system. Only real problem is that its competing with a decade of 1E content but the new stuff is rolling out. It's certainly not a 4E digression (which I played and enjoyed well enough- 2E is more like 3.0 after AD&D2).

MaskedGuy

Explorer
I'm in the camp that really feels 2e versions of same monsters from 1e tend to be mechanically more interesting than 1e. Like in 1e lot of monsters are just "they either cast spell or five foot step and full attack" while 3 action economy allows some monsters to have really nice flow and combos in their abilities that make them feel different from just "attack with same attack thrice". Not that those monsters don't still exist :3

Higgs

Explorer
I'm in the camp that really feels 2e versions of same monsters from 1e tend to be mechanically more interesting than 1e. Like in 1e lot of monsters are just "they either cast spell or five foot step and full attack" while 3 action economy allows some monsters to have really nice flow and combos in their abilities that make them feel different from just "attack with same attack thrice". Not that those monsters don't still exist :3
You know, I hadn't even really thought about it in this context before, but you are absolutely correct.

qbalrog

Explorer
I definitely find the critters tougher than 1E. I did a session with 2 1st level PCs, partly expecting the extra hit points at first level to round things out. A second level skeleton nearly wiped them. Granted, they weren't optimized for battle but still...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases