• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Intro Set

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm not too sure this adds anything from what Paizo telegraphed at this past Gencon.

We knew then they were in advanced planning stages for an intro set. By which they were understood to mean that "Yes -- we really are going to do this but we don't really yet know what form the package will be or what will be in it."

Nothing has changed in the intervening two months, except that "Yes, when we said we really are going to do this, we really meant it. But we still don't know what is going to be in it or what packaging form it will take".

I don't expect that I will purchase the product, other than to perhaps give one to my 11 year old son (and even then - I'm not sure exactly why I would do that *shrug*).

I think that we should all accept that we are not the target audience for this product, but that the product should aid and assist Paizo in broadening the reach of the game and in their marketing efforts to obtain new players. If it works -- great. If it doesn't, I hope that Paizo does not lose money on the product. That would not be a good thing.

Perhaps the best thing Paizo could do is offer some very interesting map in that box which is of high quality and is an exclusive. Something that is available nowhere else and which frankly, can't be very effectively pirated via .pdf. That approach would ensure that the product will ALSO be purchased by a portion of Paizo's existing fanbase, such that there will be a significant portion of hardcore subscribers and other fans of the game who will purchase it immediately upon release to defray the mftring costs and make the cost of carrying this inventory more palatable if it is not as successful as Paizo hopes it will be. Given the elevated costs for the REST of the package, it will not attract interest from every Pathfinder /Golarion GM. But it will attract interest from the hardcore among them -- and that's the point of bundling such a map with the box.

This would go some way towards ensuring that Paizo will not take a major hit on the product if it fails among non-fans of the game and will allow Paizo to recover most of its manufacturing costs via the subscriber base on product ship -- or at the least, put a sizeable dent in that "cost of goods sold".

I would suggest Paizo put a 32 panel world map of Golarion in that box (as distinct from a map of the Inner Sea region). That would go a long way towards covering their bets and ensuring that a well-intended product does no harm to the company in the event a worst case scenario comes to pass.

Otherwise, this could be the most expensive product that Paizo manufactures -- and far worse -- one where the subscriber base which usually allows Paizo to recover most of its upfront mftring costs out of the gate won't be there to defray those costs from the get-go.

Call it a prudent investment in strategic product bundling, if you will.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Perhaps the best thing Paizo could do is offer some very interesting map in that box which is of high quality and is an exclusive.
Best idea yet (regardless of piracy).

And considering the topic of the new announcement it should have a miniature. Of an inquisitor. Who is fearsome, and surprising, and possesses ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion. And a nice red uniform.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Perhaps the best thing Paizo could do is offer some very interesting map in that box which is of high quality and is an exclusive. Something that is available nowhere else and which frankly, can't be very effectively pirated via .pdf.

I would suggest Paizo put a 32 panel world map of Golarion in that box (as distinct from a map of the Inner Sea region). That would go a long way towards covering their bets and ensuring that a well-intended product does no harm to the company in the event a worst case scenario comes to pass.

I would almost certainly make this purchase if such a map were included - and this is the first suggestion that's been made that would lead me to consider buying it. I love Paizo and Pathfinder, but would have no personal use for an intro set otherwise.

IronWolf

blank
Steel_Wind said:
I'm not too sure this adds anything from what Paizo telegraphed at this past Gencon.

We knew then they were in advanced planning stages for an intro set. By which they were understood to mean that "Yes -- we really are going to do this but we don't really yet know what form the package will be or what will be in it."

Nothing has changed in the intervening two months, except that "Yes, when we said we really are going to do this, we really meant it. But we still don't know what is going to be in it or what packaging form it will take".

It is one thing to say it in a session at GenCon or to say they would like to do one, but it is another to announce it on the Paizo Blog as something they are going to do. I listened to the GenCon sessions from your podcast of course and to me, announcing it on the Paizo Blog and getting Jason talking about it in public forums is much more confidence building that it is going to happen than possibly pie in the sky talk in a forum such as the smaller GenCon session.

Steel_Wind said:
I don't expect that I will purchase the product, other than to perhaps give one to my 11 year old son (and even then - I'm not sure exactly why I would do that *shrug*).

I on the other hand will most likely purchase multiple copies. IronPup definitely gets one, I would likely get one for my shelf as a collector bit and quite likely I have other age appropriate relatives that I can purchase one for as a gift. One of my big things is that its hard to give a Core Rulebook as a gift to a new RPG player as it is just too overwhelming. But a box set that acts as an intro the game? Perfect!

Steel_Wind said:
I think that we should all accept that we are not the target audience for this product, but that the product should aid and assist Paizo in broadening the reach of the game and in their marketing efforts to obtain new players. If it works -- great. If it doesn't, I hope that Paizo does not lose money on the product. That would not be a good thing.

Yeah, probably not target audience, but in my case certainly a likely purchaser so I can give it to people in the target audience. I support any efforts to get more folks playing RPG games and would definitely like to see more people get started on Pathfinder. The Intro Set has the potential to be a great vehicle for that.

With many folks clamoring about the set both here and in Paizo forums (granted an audience already hooked on the game) I don't suspect them having trouble selling this thing, especially if they fall into a ballpark product spec that Hyrum's already mentioned on the blog. It hits on a lot of points - both from an Intro standpoint and possibly even a rules-lite standpoint.

Steel_Wind said:
Perhaps the best thing Paizo could do is offer some very interesting map in that box which is of high quality and is an exclusive. Something that is available nowhere else and which frankly, can't be very effectively pirated via .pdf. That approach would ensure that the product will ALSO be purchased by a portion of Paizo's existing fanbase, such that there will be a significant portion of hardcore subscribers and other fans of the game who will purchase it immediately upon release to defray the mftring costs and make the cost of carrying this inventory more palatable if it is not as successful as Paizo hopes it will be. Given the elevated costs for the REST of the package, it will not attract interest from every Pathfinder /Golarion GM. But it will attract interest from the hardcore among them -- and that's the point of bundling such a map with the box.

I don't see what a 32 panel world map of Golarion brings to an Intro set other than watering down what it is supposed to be. It will increase the cost to put the set together and not even be serving the likely target of the set. Now I would love a 32 panel world map of Golarion, but in an Intro set? It doesn't make sense to me.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I don't see what a 32 panel world map of Golarion brings to an Intro set other than watering down what it is supposed to be. It will increase the cost to put the set together and not even be serving the likely target of the set. Now I would love a 32 panel world map of Golarion, but in an Intro set? It doesn't make sense to me.
Good point on the cost, but otherwise I'm not really seeing what you mean by this. Why would having a map make it less suitable for beginners? Or do you mean that because people other than beginners could use it more they'd have to buy the set, which they might not need, to get it?

IronWolf

blank
Good point on the cost, but otherwise I'm not really seeing what you mean by this. Why would having a map make it less suitable for beginners? Or do you mean that because people other than beginners could use it more they'd have to buy the set, which they might not need, to get it?

I think there are several things that would be of more value in an Intro set than a 32 panel map if they are to keep the price low. There are lots of things I would like to see in an Intro set, but to be viable the price needs to be reasonable as well.

Last edited:

What I think, first off the rules should be real rules not a new game

2 books a players and GM book
*a few races {elf,human,dwarf and halfling seem the faves]
* Basic classes {fighter,rogue,wizard,cleric seem best}
*1-3 levels maybe 1-5
*Small list of feat
* small skill list maybe
* small spell list
*Limited magic items and gear
* Some monsters

*Dice
*A map or 2, does not need to be dry erase
*Tokens that can be punched out
*char sheets
* Maybe some pregens

Tamlyn

Explorer
What I think, first off the rules should be real rules not a new game

2 books a players and GM book
*a few races {elf,human,dwarf and halfling seem the faves]
* Basic classes {fighter,rogue,wizard,cleric seem best}
*1-3 levels maybe 1-5
*Small list of feat
* small skill list maybe
* small spell list
*Limited magic items and gear
* Some monsters

*Dice
*A map or 2, does not need to be dry erase
*Tokens that can be punched out
*char sheets
* Maybe some pregens

Sounds an awful lot like the 2000/2001 D&D 3.0 Adventure Game. Which is what got me into gaming to begin with. And I have a huge soft spot for products like this.

pawsplay

Hero
The level range probably needs to be 1-4 or 1-6 in order to hit some of the signature abilities (Weapon Specialization, 2nd or 3rd levels). I think Sorcerer is a good idea because it might be more appealing than a wizard to someone who finds Vancian magic odd.

Remove ads