• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of the Damned, Pt. 1: Through the Drakwald

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Hans finds the trail easily, and your group makes its way back towards the crossroads, before turning towards the ruins of Fahndorf. After two hours, you reach the destroyed town. In an empty field, you can see a huge bonfire, circled by dark animal shapes. Chanting drifts across the air as the flames dance. A shadowy shape is tossing things into the fire, causing it to change colour from red to blue to green. Magic is in the air.

Hans blinks. "Granny?"

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred looks at the tracker, "Hans, did you know Granny to be a magician?".

If the answer is "yes", then she'll stay where she is, however if the answer is "No" then:
"Then stick together, I don't like this in the slightest.", she draws her sword and edges her horse foward towards the fire

Wilphe

Adventurer
[sblock]Hope that everyone else is with me...

We'll, she'll get close enough to find out what the animals are, and if that is indeed Granny dancing around the fire[/sblock]

Old Fezziwig

[sblock]I'm going to do an opposed Ride/Perception test for you and Granny to see how close you can get. (It's a test of your horsemanship, really, IMO, to get your mount to not clippity-clop too loudly.)[/sblock]Winifred: Granny turns at the sound of your horse, continuing her incantation, but making a quick gesture towards you. The dark animals, which you recognize as wolves, attack.[sblock]Initiative from everyone. Please let me know what you're going to do for two rounds.[/sblock]

Lot

First Post
Ottokar looks with horror and the magics at work, not understanding what to do when faced with such a display of chaos. When the wolves move to attack, Ottokar feels his blood rush but also a sense of relief, for here is a danger he can understand. Moving forward with his hammer and shield, Ottokar engages the first wolf he can get to.

[sblock=OOC]Initiative: 27

Round One:
Attack: 60 (miss)
Parry: 89 (fail)

Round Two:
Attack: 29 (hit), Damage: 8
Parry: 66(fail)[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
Falandror, bow at the ready, fires at the closest wolf.

[sblock]
Init 1d10+50=53
1d100=71 vs BS 41... MISS.
[/sblock]

Once the wolves close in, Falandror draws his Longsword and Dagger and attacks.

[sblock]
1d100=36 vs WS 33... MISS.
Man, I suck!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred is slightly slow to react as the wolves head towards her, but she is resolved to ignore them, kicking her horse foward towards Granny. If the horse tramples any wolves on the way then all to the good. Her intent is to run down the crone with the her horse, if this works good, however even if Granny does get out of the way or the horse shies it should break her concentration on whatever she is trying to do.

[sblock]
Init = 32

I have no idea how to resolve this in the rules, maybe it's a charge attack using the horse as a weapon?
Anyway.
Here's a Ride Check = 56 FAIL
Retry with Fortune point = 24 SUCCESS (No point being Lucky if you don't use it)

That's only one round's actions, because I've no idea what might happen through trying this. The horse might bolt with her on it
or Throw her
or a wolf might leap up and bowl her of it

If it goes according to plan, she'll knock Granny over. However, there are several things that can go wrong with this plan.

Rolls:
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?u=Winifred&limit=on
[/sblock]

Old Fezziwig

Initiative
53 Falandror
48 Wolves
44 Hans
32 Winifred
27 Lot

Round 1
Falandror opens the battle with a quick arrow shot at the nearest wolf, missing. The three wolves leap at Hans, Falandror, and Lot, their teeth bared. Only the one attacking the woodsman connects, but Hans's tough leather bracers keep the wolf's fangs at bay. Nearby, Hans has no more success than the elf did.

Winifred spurs her horse through the melee, galloping past the wolves and the rest of you, and towards Granny Moescher. The horse bears down on her. She turns just as Winifred gets there, and the horse clips her left shoulder, dislocating it, and spinning the old woman like a top. [4 wounds] Somehow, she keeps chanting and gesturing, however, and the ritual continues. Back at the melee, Lot swings his hammer at a wolf and misses.

Round 2
Discarding his bow and drawing his blade, Falandror lunges at his combatant, yet misses again. The wolves attack again, and this time, they connect with Falandror and Lot. The elf takes a vicious body shot [12 wounds, Ulric's Fury: confirmed; Extra damage: 8 wounds; Critical Hit +6: 7], and falls to the ground, helpless, his entrails exposed, while the Sigmarite is bitten on the right forearm [8 wounds]. Hans hits his wolf, however, slashing it with his enormous axe. You can all hear a satisfying crunch.[sblock]We'll leave it there while I wait for Wilphe's next move. Note: Falandror has a 20% chance of dying each round because of the critical hit (heavy internal bleeding). I just wanted to put that out there, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it did happen. Also, Lot currently has 4 out of 12 wounds.[/sblock]

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred's eye's narrow as she sees the elf fall and she tries to rally her remaing comrade, "Leave the wolves, kill the witch and whatever foul magic commands them will surely die with her." <At least I hope that's the case, or we are pretty much screwed>

She wheels her horse around and makes another pass at Granny, her attack goes wide.

OOC:
[sblock]Charge attack: = 66 v 43, miss http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=572325

Next actions:
Jump off the horse and grapple the woman. In the sense of jump off the horse AT the woman.
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=572333 = 94, not my best idea ever, still
[/sblock]

Remove ads