• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of the Damned, Pt. 1: Through the Drakwald

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Initiative
53 Falandror (helpless)
48 Wolves
44 Hans
32 Winifred
27 Ottokar (NPCed for this round)

Round 3
The wolves continue to snap and growl as Granny continues chanting. As her chanting reaches a crescendo, they bear down again. Two of them attack the woodsman, both hitting, and the other bears down on Ottokar, also connecting. Hans practically loses his right arm, collapsing from the shock, and Ottokar receives a paw to the head [1 wound]. Right about this time, Winifred rushes Granny again, to little effect. A split second after Winifred's last pass, Granny stops chanting, and a large winged creature with an evil visage bursts from the fire and takes to the skies. The wolves disappear back into the aether, and the old woman collapses.

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winfred drags herself up from where she has fallen and clambers over to Granny, "What did you do?", she looks at the greviously wounded Hanns and dying Falandror, "Sigmar help me, if you have any ounce of power left within you, you shall heal my friends or I shall toss you into the clensing fire myself."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar tries to shrug off the last attack from the wolf and rushes toward Falandor. Seeing the severity of the wound, he gasps yet his hands dig into the wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

"This is beyond my skill. There is nothing I can do."

Despite his words, Ottokar continues trying.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry about the delay. Thanks, Kajamba Lion, for taking over. Ottokar will attempt a heal roll. Heal Roll: 56 (failure). Ottokar will spend a Fortune Point and try again. Heal Roll: 74 (failed again).[/sblock]

Old Fezziwig

Granny says nothing in response to Winifred's questions. Her eyes are glazed over and she has a slight smile on her face. She breathes raggedly for a few moments, and, then, with an almost imperceptible shudder, dies.[sblock=OOC for Insight]If I'm correct, you can spend a Fate Point to avoid death, if you like, although there would be some sort of cost. If not, and you'd like to continue playing, please feel free to make a new character. This adventure's just about done, and it'd be easy to introduce another PC in either Middenheim or as one of the refugees, if you liked.[/sblock][sblock=OOC for Lot]No worries. Somewhere along the line, I notice that I started referring to Ottokar by your screenname. Oops. :eek: Of course, now I'm mentally thinking of him as Lottokar. :p[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock]
Kajamba Lion said:
[sblock=OOC for Insight]If I'm correct, you can spend a Fate Point to avoid death, if you like, although there would be some sort of cost. If not, and you'd like to continue playing, please feel free to make a new character. This adventure's just about done, and it'd be easy to introduce another PC in either Middenheim or as one of the refugees, if you liked.[/sblock]
I'll just make a new character. What I'll do is hang out until this one is finished up completely, then make a new one. Maybe they meet him at Middenheim, or he's a refugee. I'll come up with something.
[/sblock]

Lot

First Post
Ottokar rises from his companion, unsatisfied with his efforts. Struggling to his feet, he goes to check on Hans. Looking at the man's ruined arm, Ottokar is reminded again of his lack of experience and ineptness. He briefly looks over to Winfred.

"This is terrible. What is happening to us?" he mumbles in near-despair. "Sigmar, give me stren-"

Ottokar pauses. His god did not have pity on the weak, but expected strength from his servants. Shaking off his self-disgust, Ottokar clenches his teeth in concentration and sees what he can do for Hans.

[sblock=OOC]Healing Roll: 16 (success)[/sblock]

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winifred silently curses her own helplessness and cradles the dying elf's head in her lap, "Do what you can Ottokar. No one can ask more."

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

[sblock=OOC for Insight]Works for me. :) Glad you'll stick with us.[/sblock]Ottokar: You very well may have saved Hans's life, as his breathing becomes more regular. [recovers 1 wound]

Winifred: Falandror quietly passes in your arms.

Schiller receives the news of the events of the night with reserved stoicism. "We'll find the children a home in Middenheim. Not a word to them of this." He sighs. "I am thankful to all of you. And sorry, too; your companion was just a stranger to us."

Quiet burials are arranged for Falandror and Granny Moescher before the caravan returns on to Middenheim. The rest of the journey is uneventful. As you get closer to the city, you see more military patrols, and the threats of the Drakwald seem to recede. At last you can see Ulricsberg, the great rock that serves as a foundation for Middenheim. The flags of the Emperor and Count Todbringer fly proudly from the battlements. Closing in on the city, you can see the devastation wrought by Achaon. Mass graves are everywhere, and the walls are pitted and scarred. Some half the city seems in ruin. It appears that life will not get any easier in the City of the White Wolf.[sblock=OOC for Everyone]And that brings us to the end of "Through the Drakwald." I'll be starting a new thread for the first part of Ashes of Middenheim, but in the meantime...

Experience Points
Ottokar...150 xp
Winifred...150 xp
[Insight's PC]...75 xp (start your next character with this much xp — that way he won't quite be starting from scratch)

Please annotate any changes you've made to your PCs in the OOC thread. I'll also take comments and criticism there. So far, I'm enjoying this a lot, folks. :)[/sblock]

Wilphe

Adventurer
As they enter the city, Winifred confides with Ottokar, "Well, we have a final task to carry out before that episode is done with. That relic must be returned as promised."

Remove ads