Patron Deity Listing

yennico

First Post
IMC PCs do not need a patron deity but most of them choose one because of the benefits.
Without a patron deity the chance to get a raise dead or resurrection will decrease.
After the death of PC the patron deity decides where the soul of the PC stays. Without a patron deity the soul stays in the Void.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Most of the games I'm in don't require one but everyone seems that it's only fitting for, especially clerics, to have one.

If you play in the Forgotten Realms world, you have to have one or face harsh punishment upon death.

Crothian

First Post
Buddha the DM said:
I was wondering if anyone has a rule in their campaign that all pc's must have a patron deity.

Not so much a rule, but it is encouraged. I have a system that allows for a type of divine intervention for people who donate to the church and who are faithful. If you have a patron diety and donate and live by his teachings the chance is even better. So, the rules encourage it but I don't forve the PCs.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The house rule I use for my homebrew is quite what it is like to play a Forgotten Realms character. Having a patron deity ensures that you go to your final reward, whereas not having one means you wander the plane of souls in spirit form for eternity or until you are enslaved by the powers of hell.

Gez

First Post
In the Forgotten Realms, it is pretty much required.

IMC, it isn't. Basically, it has to do with afterlife.
If you follow one of the gods from the pantheon, then your soul goes to the godworld (the moon).
If you followed one ot the fiendish cults, then your soul is torn away from reality and used as construction material to create a new world for the fiends. Yay!
If you were animistic or faithless, then your soul stays around a little bit and reincarnates in something else. This is what happens to animal souls, for example.

As a result, it's easier to resurrect deists (followers of a god) than animists or atheists, because the latters' souls will, after a short time, be back in a new existence, while the bulk of former are stored within gems in some deity's hoard... (Only truly exceptional individual are allowed to "live" on the Moon, otherwise there would be overpopulation problems.)

Remove ads