[pbp] Recruitment for SMACK: Seriously Munchkinistic Acts of Casual Killing!

DM_Matt

First Post
Right now I am thinking....

Akutenshi Template 3
Maho-Bujin 1
Maho-Tsukai 2 (frmr 1 Wiz, 1 Cleric (Time and Mysticism)
Psi War 6
Monk 1
Monte Ranger 1
Iajutsu Master 2

reapersaurus

First Post
Where does it state that getting the benefits of both the akutsukai AND akutenshi templates is only a +3 ECL?
(edit: ahhh... you read the akutsukai as +2 and the akutenshi as +1?
Problam: those are CR's, not ECL's.
There is a max of +4 ECL, and those would probably weigh in at about +15 ECL.)

BTW: what ECL list are you working from?
The DM guide lists a Half-Celestial as +3 ECL, for example.
Would that be OK?

Or how bout a WereTiger? What's the ECL of that?
4-armed Mutant Sahaugin? ;)

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Where does it state that getting the benefits of both the akutsukai AND akutenshi templates is only a +3 ECL?
(edit: ahhh... you read the akutsukai as +2 and the akutenshi as +1?
Problam: those are CR's, not ECL's.
There is a max of +4 ECL, and those would probably weigh in at about +15 ECL.)

Well, its never been ECL'd anywhere and its in a book full of stuff PCs can take, right after a pile of pres classes. PC-able templates (as in, those not in a monster section) tend to use CR and ECL interchangeably, such as Half-Dragons and Half-Cels...remember, this campaign from what I see above tends to intentionally ignore stuff like errata, so this is within the pale of insane lameness to allow. If the errata on the bladed gauntlets can be ignored, so can the rule changes that indicate that templates that give CR as Char level + X means anything but +X as a level equivalent.

Jeph

Explorer
ECL and CR are different, and the Akutsukai is pretty damn powerful. Id say an Akutsukai with 5 specials and 8 arms is +10 ECL. 4 arms and 3 specials might be +6 ECL. Over the limit either way. Sorry, man.

Hey, you can still get the Maho classes. That's one bit of insanely cheap silliness that I will allow.

Jeph

Explorer
reapersaurus said:

BTW: what ECL list are you working from?
The DM guide lists a Half-Celestial as +3 ECL, for example.
Would that be OK?

Or how bout a WereTiger? What's the ECL of that?
4-armed Mutant Sahaugin? ;)

I'll assume that you're serious.
Half Celestial: +3, as normal.
Were Tiger: The ability increases alone give +2 AC, +6 atk/damage, and +2 HP / level. That's at least the equivalent of a 6th level character. Now, the Natural Armor and extra attacks would give another +1 ecl. So I'd say +7.
4-armed mutant sahuagin: not that bad. Only about +3.

reapersaurus

First Post
DM_Matt said:
Well, its never been ECL'd anywhere and its in a book full of stuff PCs can take, right after a pile of pres classes. PC-able templates (as in, those not in a monster section) tend to use CR and ECL interchangeably, such as Half-Dragons and Half-Cels...remember, this campaign from what I see above tends to intentionally ignore stuff like errata, so this is within the pale of insane lameness to allow. If the errata on the bladed gauntlets can be ignored, so can the rule changes that indicate that templates that give CR as Char level + X means anything but +X as a level equivalent.
Look in the DMG, page 22 - that's core.
It is pretty clear that CR is not used when PC's take those monsters/creatures.
The Half-Celestial example - the DMG lists it as +3 for a PC to use, whereas it only increases the CR of a monster by +1 (MM, page 214)

Anyone know of a creature other than a mutant Sahaugin (or the Akutenshi) that has multiple arms?

Jeph

Explorer
Corlon's brother plays one in Corlon's campaign, I'll ask him what it is, and for the stats. They're some cat race. And hey, there's nothing wrong with a mutant Sahuagin.

DM_Matt

First Post
Well, darn.

Question about Mahos then. What do you rule regarding Maho metamagic and undead. Mahos can elect to use blood in their spellcasting and take Con damage rather than pay extra levels for metamagic. Do you rule that undead Mahos cant use that power (Which probably doesn't make sense because the PRC is more or less a preparation for the Aku templates), or that they can use it for free because they dont take con dmg.

If its the latter, can I still be ECL 0 as a type of undead with few or no special powers except type undead?

Or how about a weak Aku? Can you kinda itemize it? I dont need a ton of arms, but what will the Maho power give? Or weak stuff like wings or a tail? natural armor? DR that will absolutely never com into play in this campaign except against summon swarm?

hmmmmm....Perhaps
Maho-Tsukai 5 (Subsuming 1Cleric, 1Wiz,1Druid, 1Contemplative)
Incantrix 9
Archmage 1

Jeph

Explorer
Undead don't have con, so they can't use any abilities that require the use of the constitution score.

sorry, I want to stay away from house rules in this campaign. I wont make a psuedo-aku. Consider just taking the Half-Fiend template (+3 ecl).

By the way, where are you going with this character? please post more details on his smack tactics.

DM_Matt

First Post
I am not talking about a pseudo-Aku. Akus area power menu template, so I assume that the ECL will depend on how many powers said Aku has and which ones they are.

As far as the undead and con thing...

Firstly,

All Maho's use a little bit of their blood in every casting.
Aku's are undead
Aku's can take an ability that gives them extra Maho spellcasting
----------------------------------
Therefore, undead with blood can use it in their spellcasting

Now the description of the ability:
"by draining blood, the Maho-Tsukai can enhance her spells without using a higher-level spell slot. The cost is a number of points of temporary constitution damage equal to the level of the metamagic spell."

The act is using more blood than usual in the casting to make the casting more effective. The drawback is that it deals Con damage. Undead are immune to Con damage. Ergo, they can use this ability.

As far as tactics, the beauty of a caster with access to all spell lists and ridiculous amounts of metamagic can pull off any of the many high level caster no-superDC based smackdowns. The idea is a foundation. But in a sense, he will have multiple different smackdowns prepared at any given time.

Last edited:

Remove ads