PbtA Games: Sell One Well +

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've enjoyed playing Classic Traveller over the past few years, in a style inspired by Apocalypse World. (Each of the subsystems is, in effect, an AW -style move.)
threadbust alert

Can you share anything you care to about your CT inspired by AW? (perhaps in another thread or DM me)

/threadbust
If they exist, what are good PbtA games for the following genres:

Zombie Apocalypse
Baroque Space Opera
Abercrombie grimdark fantasy
Gonzo Post Apocalypse
Whatever genre it is Neil Gaiman writes
Zombie Apocalypse: Zombie World is probably your best bet - in fact a lot of people seem to feel that Zombie World is one of the best onramps to PbtA

Gonzo Post Apocalypse - you mean like Mutant Crawl Classics or Gamma World?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Has anyone played Urban Shadows? That's one game I really want to try
I've been waiting for 2e (in print) before I kick off a game. But definitely want to play. It supposedly delivers on the promise of certain parts of WoD better than the actual game mechanics of WoD (any edition). Specifically the inter- and intra-necine wars of supernatural groups; the intricate balance of debt and favor between individuals; and the urban-ness of the setting. I don't think it delivers much around the superpowers of supernaturality - you don't get 5 dots in Potence for example...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've been waiting for 2e (in print) before I kick off a game. But definitely want to play. It supposedly delivers on the promise of certain parts of WoD better than the actual game mechanics of WoD (any edition). Specifically the inter- and intra-necine wars of supernatural groups; the intricate balance of debt and favor between individuals; and the urban-ness of the setting. I don't think it delivers much around the superpowers of supernaturality - you don't get 5 dots in Potence for example...
Teasing apart the different things WoD can allegedly do into more focused games is probably the right way to go.

Terrifying predators? Go to Undying. Scheming ancients? Urban Shadows is right this way.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
There was a kickstarter called "Broken World" in the first generation of new PbtA way back in 2014. It funded, but myself and 355 of my never-yet-met friends did not receive anything for it - except maybe a first draft pdf

In thinking about Gonzo Post Apoc, I'm wondering what are the player archetypes that can make strong playbooks?
In fact, what are the cultural touchstones for this type of game beyond other RPGs?

Going to go out on a limb, but for a PbtA to work well, feels like it needs to be grounded in some very clear cultural touchstones so that the moves can emulate those touchstone tropes very clearly. Beyond mutations, what else does Gonzo Post Apoc have that say, Mad Maxian post apoc (emulated by AW) doesn't have? In other words, could you just play AW, but add mutations? If not, why not? Hmmmm

Remove ads