• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PC Quicklings (another try)

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
okay - umm...why. I presume the way people are posting that there has been a nuanced discussion on this point somewhere (in which case maybe just a link rather than a rehash) as it isn't obvious to me why this is an issue?
Its just not how any race has been built in 5E. If you start adding negatives, then its going to stand out against everything else in the game. Not really what you want if you want it to fit seamlessly in with everything else

The discussion's been going on since Volo's was released, and WotC went pretty hard on the "Yeah, negatives are bad" come Eberron's revised orc, with the Kobold getting the fix in some eratta. And kobolds were the ones we generally went "Well, the negative is bad, but their ability is that powerful it might balance it". Everything put out for the Quickling isn't really "Free advantage like every turn and a big everyone gets advantage like Grovel" or even Yuan Ti levels of broken, so I can't see any justification as to why we'd even consider negatives.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
okay point taken. I guess most of my experience has been with 1e and 2e, and have not been hugely aware of this issue except peripherally.
Yeah the shift actually happened with 4e, but it was one of the 4e elements that was well regarded even in the very anti-4e leaning DnDNext playtest.

aco175

Legend
I cold see a 1/rest power over an ability to keep the power down some. You can boost it at 6th level if you want.

Quick Defense: 1/rest as a free action, you impost disadvantage on an attack. You can use this power after the attack roll is made.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I cold see a 1/rest power over an ability to keep the power down some. You can boost it at 6th level if you want.

Quick Defense: 1/rest as a free action, you impost disadvantage on an attack. You can use this power after the attack roll is made.
Could be comperable to the defensive ability of the half-orc or goliath.

Remove ads