D&D 5E PC Quicklings (another try)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve tried to build them before, as a subrace of gnomes.

I wonder, though, what if we start with only 3 things.
  1. Small Size. Average 2-3 ft.
  2. Fastest race in 5e D&D
  3. Fey
    1. Speak Sylvan, some manner of resistence to magic

So, with those being the things that have to be part of the race, let’s tinker!

How fast do y’all figure we can make ‘em? 40ft with a bonus action Dash built in? More?

Are there other ways we can model their speed? Perhaps they can cast blur? Perhaps opportunity attacks against them always have disadvantage?

How are they noticeably Fey? Do they have advantage on checks to avoid or escape grapples and being restrained? Cast Freedom of Movement?

Any thoughts? I also have ideas on tinker fairies, which can wait a day or two.

doctorbadwolf

Well I’m not gonna give them penalties. Just doesn’t fit 5e, and it makes races wonky and harder to use.
Advantage on initiative?
Advantage on any save/check involving Dexterity?
-2 STR, +2 DEX
I like advantage on initiative. Advantage on saves against magic that target Dex could work.
must use Small weapons?
I don’t think I’d restrict them beyond other small folk.
I like Advantage on Initiative. Permanent Uncanny Dodge fits too.

-4 STR for starters. Tiny weapons too - small weapons would be two-handed.
Uncanny dodge is really powerful, but perhaps something similar…

Amros

Explorer
As a Gnome subrace, how about:

QUICKLING
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity Score increases by 2.
Live Fast. Your base walking speed increases to 35-40 feet, and you can take the Dash action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Blurred Movement. When you take the Dash action (as an action or bonus action) on your turn, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against you.
Extra Language.
You can speak, read and write Sylvan.

The name of the features are partialy taken from the MM stat block. Size and Magic Resistance (kind of) are already codified in the Gnome race. Maybe I'll add something to replicate the mischievous fey 'Mischief, Not Murder' part, giving proficiency in Deception or Sleight of Hand, but I don't know if it will be too much.

doctorbadwolf

As a Gnome subrace, how about:

QUICKLING
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity Score increases by 2.
Live Fast. Your base walking speed increases to 35-40 feet, and you can take the Dash action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Blurred Movement. When you take the Dash action (as an action or bonus action) on your turn, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attack rolls against you.
Extra Language. You can speak, read and write Sylvan.

The name of the features are partialy taken from the MM stat block. Size and Magic Resistance (kind of) are already codified in the Gnome race. Maybe I'll add something to replicate the mischievous fey 'Mischief, Not Murder' part, giving proficiency in Deception or Sleight of Hand, but I don't know if it will be too much.
That is really good. It does feel like too much, but we can work with it.

First, it's gotta be Dex+1, right?

I'd prefer 40ft, dash as a bonus

Blurred Movement is great.

Extra Language is great.

Mischief, Not Murder: How about we steal from the dragonmarked races, and make it a +d4 on checks with Deception, Sleight of Hand, or checks to create a disguise?

doctorbadwolf

If I were to give them anything negative, it would be something very fluff, like disadvantage on checks to interact with other creatures if they don't have their mask on, because they are very shy and fearful without the mask. But I'd rather leave that as fluff.

Actually....what if their masks are magical, and allow them to cast disguise self 1/day, taking the form of any small or smaller animal, fey, or humanoid? maybe that's a Quickling Magic feat, instead? Let them cast Longstrider at-will, and get like a limited wild shape type ability that lets them take the form of a small or smaller creature but keep their speed and mental stats? IDK something like that. Lotta trickery possible with that.

Just ideas.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd prefer 40ft, dash as a bonus
I understand why you'd want to cap their movement at 40' as the Barbarian and Monk classes get an extra 10' of movement at points in their class progression so I guess this would keep things "even". Personally I'd give them Haste 1/long rest. Limiting them to 40' takes the Quick out of Quickling IMO.

doctorbadwolf

I understand why you'd want to cap their movement at 40' as the Barbarian and Monk classes get an extra 10' of movement at points in their class progression so I guess this would keep things "even". Personally I'd give them Haste 1/long rest. Limiting them to 40' takes the Quick out of Quickling IMO.
I mean it’s faster than any other race.

Remove ads