PC's Just Turned Paragon - Need New Adventures

Infiniti2000

First Post
The PC's in my campaign just turned paragon tier and defeated the BBEG of the heroic tier, accomplishing several major goals. We rotate DMs and therefore I have quite a bit of time in order to prepare the path through paragon tier. Currently, I have a homebrew world, but it's pretty much stock 4E rules and monsters. I'm looking for recommendations on what to do next. While I have still several potential plot hooks open, I can work anything in. The game is somewhat sandbox, but my group doesn't particularly like that style, so I'm actually more interested in a longer, but very focused goal (similar style to Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil). This is an in-person game around the table, so the material needs to be printable. Price is no obstacle. I'm a DDI subscriber and I've been scrubbing the Dungeon articles, but nothing really has caught my fancy yet. I might be willing to do a major 4E conversion if there's a really good suggestion (e.g., Banewarrens).

pre-thanks! :D
-- I2K

As an EN World subscriber, you should get access to War of the Burning Sky. I can't keep track of which posters have and haven't played it yet, but I think you should give it a look if you haven't.

Psikus

Explorer
Having just finished King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, I can say that it is a pretty good module, with interesting and varied locations, and some degree of freedom (though it still is, at its core, a dungeon crawl). It also succeeds in conveying the idea that the PCs are doing more important stuff than in heroic levels - Trolls are pretty rough monsters, and you do get to defend a town [sblock] including a really cool series of siege encounters [/sblock]

There's a catch, though: it's an old adventure with pre-MM3 monsters, so you'll want to do some heavy conversion work in order to pose a serious challenge to a paragon party. This includes all monster damage values, as well as some redesign for brutes and soldiers, and specially solos and minions. As much as this sucks, I wasn't able to find an adventure at these levels that actually featured more modern monsters, so I settled with this one, and decided to do the hard work myself. I've been compiling these updated stat blocks in an article series for my blog, but it's still a work in progress.

Infiniti2000

First Post
As an EN World subscriber, you should get access to War of the Burning Sky. I can't keep track of which posters have and haven't played it yet, but I think you should give it a look if you haven't.
As I noted, this is an in-person game, so a browser-based game won't work. Based on this thread, that's what WotBS is, so that's not really an option.

Riastlin

First Post
As I noted, this is an in-person game, so a browser-based game won't work. Based on this thread, that's what WotBS is, so that's not really an option.

Pretty sure you can print the modules for WotBS -- though others can verify this.

Anyhoo, some other ideas: I actually rather like Revenge of the Giants (though others have different opinions). Like Trollhaunt you would need to convert the monsters though since they are pre-MM3. I personally thought they had some nice encounters in there though and its a pretty decent mix of sandbox and goal oriented.

Also take a look at the Scales of War paragon adventures. The heroic tier of SOW is a bit of a mess in places but the path really takes off (imho) in paragon tier and it can easily be modified to give a nice, cohesive story. Again though, some mods would need to be made for damage and the like though. On a side note, one of the mods (and one of the best) was written by [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION]!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Pretty sure you can print the modules for WotBS -- though others can verify this.
If that's true, then the marketing for it is terrible. Looking at the main website, all I see are references to on-line, logging in, and the like. I tried to get the press release and got a 404. There's no useful information on the website, so I'm really turned off by it.

Riastlin

First Post
If that's true, then the marketing for it is terrible. Looking at the main website, all I see are references to on-line, logging in, and the like. I tried to get the press release and got a 404. There's no useful information on the website, so I'm really turned off by it.

I think that's the site for the computer game based on the Adventure Path by EnWorld. You can get the adventure path from EnWorld on this site. (I'm not a subscriber yet, so not sure of the exact link).

Edit to add: I think you can get to the WotBS path from here: http://www.enworld.org/ap/wotbs.html

Ha. This is an amusing misunderstanding.

E.N. Publishing released War of the Burning Sky as a series of 12 adventures for 3.5 edition D&D from 2007 to 2008, then did a conversion from 2009 to earlier this year. Some time in the interim, a company got the license to use the storyline and setting for a browser-based game which E.N. Publishing is pretty uninvolved with.

I suppose this means Russ and I aren't doing good enough of a job clarifying what the differences are. I think we assumed all the EN World folks already knew by now about the adventures that are available to subscribers.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I suppose this means Russ and I aren't doing good enough of a job clarifying what the differences are. I think we assumed all the EN World folks already knew by now about the adventures that are available to subscribers.

Well, until about now I was not interested in any other modules or adventure paths, and I'm still not interested in other campaign worlds. I plan on keeping mine and shoehorning in a decent level 11+ external work. So, because my interest changed, I'm now looking at it as a newbie, as it were, and thus am unfamiliar with the content. :) Certainly, the website using the name of the path doesn't help. I'd recommend asking them to at least put an info page with a link to the non-online game work.

I've done some researching and Trollhaunt Warrens currently wins out over Revenge of the Giants. I'll spend some time to look at the WotBS appropriate-level stuff. I hope it's not too dependent on the setting (a lot of Forgotten Realms stuff would be, for instance).

Remove ads