D&D 5E Pedantic pet peeves

neobolts

Explorer
I only heard the American pronunciation recently.

But it’s “Mine-oh-tore”. I find out recently you people say “Minn-uh-tARR”.

I don’t know how you say Satyr. I say “Sat-ear”. I guess you say “Sate-uuuurrr” or something?

Pretty much. min-uh-TARR and SAY-tur.

MiraMels

Explorer
"Skill checks"

There's no such thing as a skill check in 5th edition. They are ability checks, and anyone can make them whether or not you're proficient in whatever skill is attached. (Which is a distinction worth making for my table, cause I play with a lot of folk who only played 3rd and 5th, and 3rd had all sorts of rules surrounding skill checks that no longer apply.)

To a lesser extent, but far more pedantic, leaving the ability off of the ability check. It's a 'dexterity (stealth) check', not a 'stealth check'.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I only heard the American pronunciation recently.

But it’s “Mine-oh-tore”. I find out recently you people say “Minn-uh-tARR”.

I don’t know how you say Satyr. I say “Sat-ear”. I guess you say “Sate-uuuurrr” or something?

I'm American and I pronounce them "Min-oh-tore" and "Say-tur."

Then again, I also spell colour, behaviour, etc. with a u, which I've been told is the spelling used in UK English.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I want to scream every time someone uses "dice" as a singular. "Roll one dice." No!

(I've never seen the rulebooks do this, thankfully, but players do it all the freakin' time.)

A pet peeve of mine used to be when people would spell rogue as rouge but now when I see it I just sit there feeling superior.
As a linguistic anarachist, and a critic of English's inconsistencies, it warms the cockles of my heart to see people changing the English language before my very eyes.

:D

EDIT: Reading beyond the first page, this goes for a whole lot of things mentioned on this thread!

Last edited:

Remove ads