Periapt of Health

FCWesel

First Post
Okay...

Periapt of Health: The wearer of this blue gem on a silver chain is immune to disease, including supernatural diseases.

Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, remove disease; Price 7,500 gp.

...lets say a character in the group has one of these thar things.

If they are in the sewer, and a diseased rat bites someone else in the group, the bearer of the item can't take it off and give it to someone else and they suddenly become un-diseased correct? Or do they?

FCWesel

First Post
Nope, that's exactly how I had done it and had planned on continuing to do it, but I always like to get a few other GM's opinions or find out if there's errata or changes somehwere I missed.

Thanks guys.

Scion

First Post
You could have it act something like a delay poison spell. They are immune to it but still have it. So it'll give your guy more time to resolve the issue, but they still have to do something about it.

Similarly, if someone was immune to poison for whatever reason, and could lose that ability somehow then I would keep track of how much poison they had been exposed to within a certain time frame. That way if they lost the ability I would know what to do about it.

Same thing really. Party member becomes infected with disease, give them the item so that the disease will not cause any harm for a period of time, go and get disease cured. Seems fine to me ;) If you dislike this greatly you could always houserule the item to take 24 hours of continuous wearing to acclimate the magic to your body. Which then you could rule that either the item thought the disease was just part of you naturally and wouldnt fix it, or that it would suppress the badness (after already having one set of penalties possibly).

Artoomis

First Post
Real-world example.

Get the flu (no symptoms yet).

Get a flu shot (immune to the flu).

Get sick with the flu.

Not really the same, but close enough.

Ferret

Explorer
Don't you exhibit flu/what-you-are-vaccinated-against symptons when vaccinated anyway? Or is that Innoculated? Anyway that could be cool ingame feature; get a bad sneeze for a week after or get boils around the chain?

Last edited:

zztong

Explorer
If they are in the sewer, and a diseased rat bites someone else in the group, the bearer of the item can't take it off and give it to someone else and they suddenly become un-diseased correct? Or do they?

I'm usually very generous with this kind of thing. If I haven't already edited the monster to get rid of the disease attack, I usually put off any disease effects until dealing with downtime or long periods of travel. A fast-incubating and growing disease would be a plot element for me.

Agamon

Adventurer
Think of it this way:

If the item made you immune to magical damage, and your PC buddy just got hit by a mundane sword and a Fireball, would giving him the item heal his Fireball damage?

Remove ads