permanent spell

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
Is permanent spell for divine as well as for arcane spells?

Can you have a Wiz/Clr PC with the necessary levels to cast permanent of a divine spell, even if he have research it?

Can a divine spellcaster research or does he just ask for a spell from his god?

(official rules only please, if you can state book/page)

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Simple. Divine casters cannot cast Permanency. Not on their spell list. Though I'm not sure about limiting a multiclass character to only permanent arcane spells. You should be able to do it if you cast both. But in the end, you have to be able to cast permanency anyways, something divine magic users cannot do.

Just reviewed Permanency much more closely. I don't think you can apply it to divine spells because they didn't list any divine spells in the examples under the description. Kind of makes sense too.

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you talking about the spell 'Permanency'? (p234 PHB)
If it's Permanency, it's an arcane spells, so clerics can't use it.

doesn't include any divine spells, what ever

Magic Fang (druid/ranger spell), Comprehend languages (Cleric), Detect magic (its on EVERY caster list except Paladin and Ranger), Alarm (ranger, though its on all the arcane lists too), Invisiblity (trickery domain), Prismatic Sphere (Sun domain), Phase Door (Travel domain), Read magic (its on EVERY caster list), Resistance (Only list its not on is Ranger), Symbol (Cleric), Tongues (Cleric), and Wall of Fire (Druid and Fire domain).

Wait a minute isn't that about every last spell on the permanecy list? Yes it is.

Considering that Magic Fang is ONLY, i repeat ONLY the Druid and ranger list the ONLY way to perm it is to be multiclassed or have use magic device skill.

MythandLore

First Post
Considering that Magic Fang is ONLY, i repeat ONLY the Druid and ranger list the ONLY way to perm it is to be multiclassed or have use magic device skill.
Hmm...
This is intresting.
So you HAVE to be multiclassed to do some of thos spells, that can be pretty rough.

bret

First Post
MythandLore said:

Hmm...
This is intresting.
So you HAVE to be multiclassed to do some of thos spells, that can be pretty rough.

...or blow a Limited Wish to cast the spell. The XP cost for that is less than multiclassing can cost.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Actually, by my reading, you don't need to multiclass or cast Limited Wish.

If you want to permanently Magic Fang the monk, you get the druid to cast the MF, and the wizard to cast Permanency.

Same goes with Symbol - cleric casts the spell, wizard makes it permanent.

The spell description states that, in the case of a personal spell, "You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the Permanency spell." This makes sense, since nobody else can cast a personal spell on you, and since that list of spells can only be made permanent on the caster of Permanency.

For spells on other creatures, or spells on objects or areas, it doesn't specify that the caster of the desired spell must be the caster of the Permanency.

-Hyp.

Remove ads