permanent spell

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Now, if the description of Permanency were "Target : One Spell", again I would have no hesitation. It is a little confusing in that it's described as "Target, Effect or Area : See text". It would seem logical to me that the Target of Permanency is the spell you're affecting. But it's not listed that way in the stat block, so... it's debatable.

I agree completely, both with the ambiguity of the entry, and the probable implication of the entry. Though, since it's so vague, I'm still scratching my head...

Right now, I'm visualizing a wizard who's cast Levitation on himself, just before got criticaled with a lucky arrow. And now his lifeless body is floating 15 ft off the ground.

kreynolds

First Post
Hyper, don't forget about the researching problem. How would you handle that? Personally, I won't let you research it unless you can cast it yourself. I can't think of any other way, but I'm open to ideas.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Right now, I'm visualizing a wizard who's cast Levitation on himself, just before got criticaled with a lucky arrow. And now his lifeless body is floating 15 ft off the ground.

Hmm.

I can't find anything that states that a non-concentration spell ends with the death of the caster.

But, when a summoned creature returns to its own plane, any spells it has cast end.

So I could see a case for death having the same effect.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hyper, don't forget about the researching problem. How would you handle that? Personally, I won't let you research it unless you can cast it yourself. I can't think of any other way, but I'm open to ideas.

Well, the inclusion of Magic Fang in the list of allowable spells is a sign that it's not limited to Sor/Wiz spells.

I think if the arcane caster were able to observe a divine caster casting the spell repeatedly during the research period, he might be able to figure something out.

Any research is at DM's discretion anyway, so you're welcome to put whatever restrictions on it you feel comfortable with.

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Any research is at DM's discretion anyway, so you're welcome to put whatever restrictions on it you feel comfortable with.

-Hyp.

I suppose so. I guess I was just hoping for something more solid. I try to be arbitrary as little as possible.

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

A wizard can only make a Personal spell permanent on himself, and a cleric can only cast a Personal spell on herself.

So there isn't really any way for a wizard to permanence a cleric's personal spell.

On an object - as far as I'm concerned, sure, no problem, as long as the spell is on the list of allowable spells.

Any spells not on the list must be okayed by the DM.

-Hyp.

Thank Mystra, that's the answer I was looking for in the first place :)

'o Skoteinos

First Post
New question

There was already a thread about Permanecy, so I figured I'd use this one, instead of creating another. I too have got a question about Permanency:

Why the hell would you ever research other possibilities (with the research times and cost et all) instead of just Trial and Error? I mean, it's not like you're gonna blow up your whole party or somehting (ok, the same DM's that screw players who word their wishes wrong might do so, but I hope they're exception)...and, the way I understand it, you don't lose XP for the spell you Permanency and fail to keep around. So what, exactely, is stopping you?

And, compared to Incarnate, why do I feel Permanecy got the shaft :)p)? I mean, the benefit of making spells of 5th+ level permanent does not outweight the penalty of dispelability...and then I don't take into account the researching of *possible* application... Would it be terribly unbalancing to replace Permanency with Incarnate? Or should Wizards have an edge over Psionics on this field?

kreynolds

First Post
Re: New question

'o Skoteinos said:
...and, the way I understand it, you don't lose XP for the spell you Permanency and fail to keep around.

Researching a spell for Permanency is just like researching a new spell, as stated in the spell description of Permanency. Even if your research fails or the spell is not applicable, you still lose the time, XP, and gold.

'o Skoteinos

First Post
No, what I meant was: "...and, the way I understand it, you don't lose XP for the spell you cast Permanency on *that is not on the list, without having done the research*, and fail to keep around"

In other words, what's stopping you from trial and error methods?

kreynolds

First Post
But you do lose XP if the spell is not on the list, no matter what. Maybe I'm just not getting what you are trying to say. Try wording it in a completely different manner.

Remove ads