D&D 5E Persuasion - How powerful do you allow it to be?

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] - I'm only seeing fragments of this conversation, but the following quotes seem to focus on the core of it:

As a general proposition, I would suggest that the best way that to find out that some NPC is not amenable to being persuaded of something is in virtue of the check failing. That is, it is an output of resolution, not an input into it.
Narrative games use strong themes and genre tropes as rails for what fiction can be plausibly established in game. So, yes, your example could be true, but only in a game where it's established that the PCs can credibly jump over oceans. Then, the size of an ocean that hasn't already had its size established could be determined by how far an ocean-jumping PC jumps.
That results are incoherent? This only occurs if you make the same error that you do with your ocean example -- that the play doesn't follow the establish fiction and be within the rails of that established fiction and the genre and theme of the game. But, these are actually a must. Frex, in a game of godly powered PCs your ocean example actually works -- it doesn't violate established fiction and it fits within the genre logic and theme of the game. In fact, godly persons establishing the size of an ocean with a leap is pure thematic gold in that kind of structure. No, instead you treat the games like someone that has read the rules but not fully grasped how they're intended to be used.
Leaping is interesting, because there is an excellent RPG text - Maelstrom Storytelling (Hubris Games, 1997 I think) - that uses exactly that example. I don't have my copy ready-to-hand, but handily the relevant passage is quoted by Ron Edwards here:

A good way to run the Hubris Engine is to use "scene ideas" to convey the scene, instead of literalisms. ... focus on the intent behind the scene and not on how big or how far things might be. If the difficulty of the task at hand (such as jumping across a chasm in a cave) is explained in terms of difficulty, it doesn't matter how far across the actual chasm spans. In a movie, for instance, the camera zooms or pans to emphasize the danger or emotional reaction to the scene, and in so doing it manipulates the real distance of a chasm to suit the mood or "feel" of the moment. It is then no longer about how far across the character has to jump, but how hard the feat is for the character. ... If the players enjoy the challenge of figuring out how high and far someone can jump, they should be allowed the pleasure of doing so - as long as it doesn't interfere with the narrative flow and enjoyment of the game.

The scene should be presented therefore in terms relative to the character's abilities ... Players who want to climb onto your coffee table and jump across your living room to prove that their character could jump over the chasm have probably missed the whole point of the story.​

So in the game of godlings that Ovinomancer describes, then we might have an ocean that is known to have been only leapt once, by so-and-so the strider when in pursuit of the stolen fruit of immortality. And the difficulty would then be framed at an appropriate level for such an epic feat. And if the PC succeeds, in virtue of the player's successful check, we have a new footnote to the ancient legend.

A slightly different approach is set out in Marvel Heroic RP. Like all abilities in that system, Leaping is rated by die size which has both a mechanical meaning - ie the size of the die in the pool when the ability is used - and a fictional meaning - the in-fiction scope of the ability. Here is some of the relevant text (from p OM78):

Movement Powers (Speed/Flight/Swingline/Airwalking/Burrowing/Leaping/Swimming)

Movement power traits are usually used in action dice pools.

Movement powers confer the ability to move at greater than human speed. . . .

*At [smallcaps]SPEED D6[/smallcaps], you can run as fast as the world’s fastest humans; [smallcaps]FLIGHT D6[/smallcaps] is the speed of a hawk or news chopper.

*At [smallcaps]ENHANCED SPEED D8[/smallcaps], you can run at the speed of a horse; with [smallcaps]SUBSONIC FLIGHT D8[/smallcaps], you can fly as fast as a missile or passenger airliner.

*At [smallcaps]SUPERHUMAN SPEED D10[/smallcaps], you’re faster than a bullet train; with [smallcaps]SUPERSONIC FLIGHT D10[/smallcaps], you can fly as fast as a jet fighter.

*At [smallcaps]GODLIKE SPEED D12[/smallcaps], you can travel around the world in moments; [smallcaps]SPACE FLIGHT D12[/smallcaps] permits swift interplanetary travel.​

Other Movement powers appear in Power Sets, too. . . . [smallcaps]LEAPING[/smallcaps] describes traveling large distances with mighty bounds or spring-like steps.​

The Hulk is statted with Leaping d10, reflecting has well-established ability to leap across the countryside at a speed comparable to a plane. This equally conveys the fact that he couldn't leap across an ocean in a single bound - that would be Leaping d12. If the Hulk's player tries to declare a leap across an ocean the GM is obviously obliged to declare that it can't be done - at least not without some sort of stunting or asset to make it possible (eg maybe he has a jet-pack to enhance his leap; and with his Godlike Durability d12 and Godlike Stamina d12 is able to endure the rigours of the resulting low-level spaceflight and atmospheric reentry).

Conversely, if we have a lake in the fiction and it's not established exactly how wide it is, and the Hulk's player declares a leap across it, then (depending on further details of context and resulting mechanical resolution process; most likely this would be to eliminate a Scene Distinction or Complication that has been established at an earlier point during play) the GM is entitled to call for a roll; and if s/he wants to emphasise how hard the lake is to jump across can add dice from the Doom Pool to the opposition dice pool. If the check fails, the GM is entitled to narrate the failure as consisting in the fact that the lake is too wide for the Hulk to cross - and if the right resources were expended could impose an appropriate comlication, like Floating in the Middle of a Lake or even Mired in Mud at the Bottom of a Lake.

A similar approach, although with less mechanical apparatus involved, could be used in an epic tier skill challenge in 4e D&D if the appropriate flavour and fictional context had been established in play.

If we turn to social resolution rather than leaping, we can still apply similar considerations. For instance, the difficulty of any check would reflect the pre-established fiction. The bonus on a check and the possible outcomes would reflect established fiction also, including the established fiction about the PC. For example, in MHRP (pp OM101, 102) we're told that:

*A Menace Expert is the equivalent of a drill sergeant at basic training or an experienced interrogator.

*A Menace Master has either a lifetime of threats behind him and the muscle to back it up, or the kind of fearful presence that makes world leaders recoil in terror. . . .

*A Psych Expert is the equivalent of a postgraduate in psychology, communication, or sociology. She’s a skilled negotiator, interviewer, or orator.

*A Psych Master understands the human mind and emotions better than most; she can reliably assess and correct many psychological or behavioral problems…or
make them worse.

*Psych stunts include hypnotic suggestion, reflective listening, calming words, or inspirational quotes.​

In 4e D&D we would look to the established fiction about the PC - including from theme, paragon path and the like as well as the tiers of play and what has gone before - to work out what it makes sense to declare as an action. 5e seems to have fewer of those sorts of fiction-hooking cues - there's just a bare skill bonus built out of mechanical elements like training, expertise etc - but the GM can still set the DC as seems appropriate to what is being attempted. I see zero reason to suppose that this would lead to outcomes that are at odds with established fiction. (And of course this approach takes it as a premise that there is no secret fiction already "established" but known only to the GM, against which the action declaration will be measured before deciding whether or not to frame a check.)

S'mon

Legend
5e seems to have fewer of those sorts of fiction-hooking cues - there's just a bare skill bonus built out of mechanical elements like training, expertise etc - but the GM can still set the DC as seems appropriate to what is being attempted.

For me I find the 5e skill system works really well, maybe because it's basically the same as how I treated skill use in 4e. I like the DC 30 "Nearly Impossible" and working down from there - most PCs can't achieve such feats, but maybe the Rogue with +17 Persuasion actually can seduce the high priestess of the goddess of marital fidelity, or the Barbarian throw open the gates of Hell.

pemerton

Legend
For me I find the 5e skill system works really well, maybe because it's basically the same as how I treated skill use in 4e. I like the DC 30 "Nearly Impossible" and working down from there - most PCs can't achieve such feats, but maybe the Rogue with +17 Persuasion actually can seduce the high priestess of the goddess of marital fidelity, or the Barbarian throw open the gates of Hell.
What's your approach to retries? As a general rule - and not thinking specifically about 5e D&D - I'm not the biggest fan. Eg if the rogue fails that check I prefer to resolve it as the high priestess is not going to relinquish her vows rather than if you bat you eyelids just that little bit harder, you can have a re-roll.

My approach here is influenced heavily by Luke Crane's approach in Burning Wheel - and I remember some time around 2010 I think there was a Stephen Radlely-McFarland (I hope I've got that right) article for 4e suggesting something similar.

I should add - if the fiction changes significantly then rerolls can be opened up. What counts as significant change is of course table-dependent, but it can't be something too commmonplace given the game in question or the point of no-rerolls is lost. So simply boosting your skill bonus probably isn't enough; but getting a blessing from the god of seduction would be a different story.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
What's your approach to retries? As a general rule - and not thinking specifically about 5e D&D - I'm not the biggest fan. Eg if the rogue fails that check I prefer to resolve it as the high priestess is not going to relinquish her vows rather than if you bat you eyelids just that little bit harder, you can have a re-roll.

My approach here is influenced heavily by Luke Crane's approach in Burning Wheel - and I remember some time around 2010 I think there was a Stephen Radlely-McFarland (I hope I've got that right) article for 4e suggesting something similar.

I should add - if the fiction changes significantly then rerolls can be opened up. What counts as significant change is of course table-dependent, but it can't be something too commmonplace given the game in question or the point of no-rerolls is lost. So simply boosting your skill bonus probably isn't enough; but getting a blessing from the god of seduction would be a different story.

This all reads as a trap, some sort of way to frame (seems a favourite word) other DMs in a bad light. Some are not into the make-it-up-as-you-go-along style off play, it lacks integrity, for some, the multiverse is not in stasis until the PCs interact with it.

pemerton

Legend
This all reads as a trap, some sort of way to frame (seems a favourite word) other DMs in a bad light. Some are not into the make-it-up-as-you-go-along style off play, it lacks integrity, for some, the multiverse is not in stasis until the PCs interact with it.
I have no idea how what you have posted relates to the issue of retries.

I've checked through my files and the article I mentioned (by Stephen Radney-MacFarland - my error in the above post in mis-remembering his surname) was published by WotC in Dungeon 187 (Feb 2011) says the following about retries:

f you’re letting characters make multiple attempts to use the same skill in the same situation, stop. Various DM’s books make it clear that in many cases, a character gets one chance to succeed with a skill; if the first check fails, the task is beyond him for the time being. . . . Moving a boulder is a good example . . . No one should get more than one chance; either you can move it, or you can’t.

I have no idea what sort of "trap" you think that GMing advice is setting.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
How do you handle retries?
I'll answer that one: depends.

More completely, if I, as DM, ask for a roll in 5e, there's a consequence for failure. That consequence may or may not allow another attempt (also with consequence fir failure). The key for me is that the fiction changes after a roll and I'm not going to use a 100% rule for anything about hiw it may change.

But, this is because 5e uses resource attrition as it's primary dramatic driver. So, in D&D, it's often worthwhile to tax a resource on failure and allow for an addition tax than to foreclose tries. Resources include time, hps, abilities uses, exhaystion, etc.

In a different game, though, where tge primary dramatuc driver isn't resource expenditure, then, yeah, no retrues because I'm going to use the narration of the failure to remove that as an option. I may do this in 5e as well.

I don't see the "no retries" as a hard rule useful in D&D because so much of the game fiction plays against this. I mean, look at combat!

Remove ads