PF2: Spells!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yea, just read those comments. Looks like component will be more of a hook to hang class distinctions on, then (like the bard with the violin example). Makes sense.

It’ll also potentially inform what you can cast when - can’t perform somatic components of your hands are bound, can’t perform verbal components in a zone of silence, can’t perform material components if you don’t have the materials.

I do hope they list some materials for spells within material components. I know they rarely come up, but they’re a nice dash of flavor.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
They’ve already been shown to work this way in the glass cannon podcast. Each component takes one action to perform, which is the reason different spells cost different numbers of actions. Even in the article, the heal spell lists it’s effects (which we know to cost 1, 2, and 3 actions respectively) by the components required to cast them.

Then I stand corrected and need to reread the article fully.

Thanks
KB

I really like this, tho they make the spell descriptions very convoluted - so much so that the blog initially had the heightened examples incorrect. It will be confusing to a fair number of people as evidenced by the questions in the comments.

I also agree that this is a totally different game, PF1 was all about backwards compatibility. PF2 had gone well beyond just fixing the problems of 3.x DnD and into its own system. Converting from PF1 or 3.x to PF2 looks like it will be a similar difficulty as converting to 5e

Then it would be just like Warhammer... well the limb chopping part. Warhammer has peg-legs though!

In Rogue Trader (for Warhammer 40k) I got possessed by a demon who activated a grenade and held it in his hand cackling.

I lost that arm, but got it replaced with, basically, a Transformer. It was an arm that could detach and fly around as a grapple hawk with stun claws.

Chopping off limbs is great!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
The idea of same spell being cast at different levels is MUCH better than having similar named spells to prepare/learn at different levels. (Glad PF & 5E are going this route).

I LOVE the idea of each component type being an action. It actually brings these often ignored components into to play. (We already trialled something similar with 5E).

Also, in 3E we sorted all divine and arcane spells into 3 groupings: Simple, Advanced?, Exotic (much like weapon proficiencies and a cue from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed). We also borrowed and expanded Monte's idea of spell descriptors. EVERY spell had 1+ descriptor. This meant we no longer had to track every class's individual spell list. (Something I do NOT like in 5E). For eg. A Druid got access to Simple Divine Spells and added spells with certain descriptors to their list. These were usually a choice (for example 6 of the following - where 12 nature-type descriptors may have been listed).

In a nutshell, I like modular spell lists that can be easily expanded upon, rather than just adding to every class's list. A big problem in 5E for divine casters that therefore have no limit to spells 'known'.

If PF adopts something like the above with its spell groupings, I am all for it. (Looking at discussion in the blog re spell groupings).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Also noticed the necromantic spell did not specify a saving throw. I am sure this is just an error - or is there something funny going on with saves too?

Kaodi

Hero
I like this in general. I am just slightly worried about how non-casters are supposed to keep up when even cantrips level up.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I like this in general. I am just slightly worried about how non-casters are supposed to keep up when even cantrips level up.

It’s a little unintuitive, but it actually works. By insuring casters’ at-will options remain relevant at higher levels, it lessens the burden on high level spells to pull a spellcaster’s weight. With casters no longer reliant on an extremely limited pool of appropriately leveled spells, the developers can tone those high level spells down a bit. 5e does the same, and it’s probably the second most balanced iteration of D&D in terms of casters vs. martials.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I liked the bit about Material, Mental, Spiritual, and Vital spell lists in the comments on the blog.

Same. If those are the 4 lists they mention on the front page of playtest website, and casters get access to 1 or 2 of the lists each, I think that's a pretty cool system.

The fact that the spells have strong keywords in the top-left of their description make me thinking that granting access to spells by keyword is also going to be a thing. Maybe some class have one list, but certain feats/archetypes grant you access to all spells with a certain keyword from any list.

Remove ads