• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phyrric Legacy - Shackled City IC Thread

Land Outcast

Explorer
Picking up after the thugs, and picking up the thugs themselves, he hauls up his back the body of the unconscious man with ease, and asks to Ruphus, the priest "Shall we be moving to the House of St. Cuthbert?"

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dowlee nods as she looks at Ruphus for his response, "Yes, we should make sure you arrive back there safely."

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
The broad-chested man recovers the thug's blade and stores it, along with the pouch, in his backpack. (Positioned so that it doesn't rip it).

He points at the other fallen weapons "We should remove them" he points at the two fallen thugs "and them" .

Followup, the man looks at the headless thug, then at the unconscious one, and before hauling him up over his shoulders he looks at the motley group here reunited... his lips show a broken smile smiles and he proceeds to say "Well met in this dark night fellows... Remen's the name"
As he makes his return to the alleyway, Remen stows away the detained thug's short sword in his pack, along with the man's coin pouch. A quick search of the two fallen enemies reveals similar gear to the first. Remen gathers the weapons and coin pouches of these thugs as well (The three pouches contain a total of 10 silver pieces and 21 copper pieces). As he introduces himself, he hoists the sprawled form of the unconscious thug over his shoulder, and prepares to depart the alleyway. (OOC: Land Outcast, please update Remen's character sheet with the loot he gathered.)

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Arak looks at the captured thug after hearing the cleric's tale.

"I think your suggestion is a great one. We can certainly go talk to the Watch about why you were assaulting a man of the cloth for daring to visit the orphanage. But let's let there be no confusion about who you are when we do."

He pulls up the hem of the man's garment and wipes the make-up off his face.

"If I were a man of violence like you, as you accuse me to be, you'd not be able to draw breath now to form the accusation.

"I am Arak of House York, called Oathsworn for my devotion to St. Cuthbert, and I do not go weak in the knees when threatened by a rabid sewer rat."

((And, oh yes, Intimidation roll against the thug.))
The thug grimaces as Arak wipes the makeup from his face, with a none-too-gentle touch. The thug, sensing that this is an argument he isn't going to win, falls into a surly silence, glaring about and awaiting his fate.

Jdvn1 said:
"Well," Dowlee considers, "Should we take these guys to the watch or to St. Cuthbert's? I'm sure the priests would be interested in hearing the thugs' side of the story too." She has a slight smile on her face, but quickly wipes it away.

As the introductions are being made, Dowlee introduces herself, "Dowlee," and holds out a hand to anyone who'll take it (other than the thugs, of course).

Her statue is small, but her white skin and silver eyes make her presence quite obvious.
Legildur said:
"Flannad," the young whisper gnome says simply as introduction and he gives up on watching the alley mouth.
stonegod said:
Now that the thug has stablized, the well dressed man stands up and dusts off his clothes. Making sure the priest can stand on his own, he turns to the others, pressing a hand to his chest. "Jon Talnbalm. Scholar and traveller. Pleased to greet you."

"As for these criminals... I suggest we let the Watch deal with them, unless Initiate Laro has something to say about that?"
Ruphus gazes about at each of his rescuers in turn, and nods and smiles at each one, expressing his gratitude for the assistance provided. To Jon he replies, "Yes, this matter is certainly best left in the hands of the proper authorities. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a patrol after the noise of the fight, I should think."

Land Outcast said:
Picking up after the thugs, and picking up the thugs themselves, he hauls up his back the body of the unconscious man with ease, and asks to Ruphus, the priest "Shall we be moving to the House of St. Cuthbert?"
Jdvn1 said:
Dowlee nods as she looks at Ruphus for his response, "Yes, we should make sure you arrive back there safely."

The motley assembly prepares to depart the alley, when footsteps and voices herald the arrival of yet more newcomers. Ruphus' words prove to be quite apt, as a patrol of five town guardsman enters the mouth of the alley. They wear breastplates emblazoned with the town emblem, a watchful eye wreathed in flames. They are well armed, with halberds, short swords and shortbows. At the head of the group, the sergeant steps forward, surveying the bloody scene. "What's going on here?" he demands, in a voice that suggests he expects a quick answer.

Your response?

(OOC: Thanks for giving me another chance, everyone! I'm glad to be back at the helm.)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Jon steps in front of the gathered gang, putting his hands in a warding gesture. "Be calm, watchful sir. My companions and I answered the call of distress from this officer of the Church"---gestures at Initiate Laro---"to find ourselves accosted by these thugs. What you see here is the result of defending the Initiate and our lives. It is good you have arrived so that we may properly dispense with these ruffians."

[OOC: Yes, that's Diplomacy]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Arak steps forward, nodding in greeting to the guards.

"I am Arak of House York. This individual and his companions were assaulting a man of the cloth, in violation of the laws of gods and man. We remand him into your custody and pray the gods give you the wisdom to see justice properly dispensed."

Land Outcast

Explorer
We remand him into your custody and pray the gods give you the wisdom to see justice properly dispensed.

At this, Remen drops the body in front of the guard in a most unceremonious fashion.
In an undertone he adds at Arak "The church might want to question the still-standing scoundrel" For certain I want to question him

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
Flannad stays at the rear of the party, using the others to shield his small frame from the view of the guardsmen as best he can without being too obvious about it. (OOC: Hide +16)

Malvoisin

First Post
stonegod said:
Jon steps in front of the gathered gang, putting his hands in a warding gesture. "Be calm, watchful sir. My companions and I answered the call of distress from this officer of the Church"---gestures at Initiate Laro---"to find ourselves accosted by these thugs. What you see here is the result of defending the Initiate and our lives. It is good you have arrived so that we may properly dispense with these ruffians."

[OOC: Yes, that's Diplomacy]
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Arak steps forward, nodding in greeting to the guards.

"I am Arak of House York. This individual and his companions were assaulting a man of the cloth, in violation of the laws of gods and man. We remand him into your custody and pray the gods give you the wisdom to see justice properly dispensed."
The watch sergeant pays attention to the words of Jon and Arak, even as he surveys the carnage in the alley. He shakes his head slightly as he regards the dead thug. To Ruphus he says, "Is this true, Cuthbertine?"

Ruphus answers, "It is as they say, Sergeant. I was making my way from the Lantern Street Orphanage to the church when these men..."

With an upraised hand, the sergeant cuts the priest off. His eyes widen with recognition as he approaches the third thug, standing between Arak and Remen. In disbelief he shouts, "Nilas?! What are you doing here? Are you responsible for this?"

The 'thug' lowers his eyes and answers in a low voice. "Someone from the Last Laugh offered 25 gold pieces each to me, Hylum and Kerlen to put a scare into this priest, so the Cuthbertines would quit poking around into this business with the missing orphans. It's not like they wanted us to kill him or anything, so we said yes. I didn't think it would end like this, with Hylum dead..." he trails off slowly.

The sergeant seeems enraged by this revelation. "What?! Nilas, you are a disgrace to the town guard, and a traitor to the city! Wait until Captain Skellerang gets his hands on you!"

Land Outcast said:
At this, Remen drops the body in front of the guard in a most unceremonious fashion.
In an undertone he adds at Arak "The church might want to question the still-standing scoundrel"
"Oh, don't you worry friend," replies the sergreant. "He'll be questioned all right."

(OOC: I'll pause here to allow the PCs to jump in with comments/questions if you like...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads