Picard Season 3

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Not to forget Lower Decks, which I'd place above both Discovery and Picard.

Yeah, easily above!

While there have been a few duds on Lower Decks, most of the episodes have been great.

And Lower Decks take on starfleet actually being good and effective AND its take on the "badmiral" trope were both excellent.

Last edited:

Hades#2

Explorer
I might be in the minority here but I enjoyed the 1st season of Picard. It might be because I've been a huge fan of the Romulans since Balance of Terror.
The 2nd season had a few good moments but overall it was below average. I am hopeful for season 3. I haven't seen Discovery or Progidy but enjoyed Lower Decks a lot.

MarkB

Legend
True, but I was sticking to live action only. LD is great, and I have to try Prodigy again, kinda bounced off it first time.
I had a similar experience with Prodigy, a lot of the earlier episodes feel very formulaic in the "focus character has to learn an important lesson" kind of way. But it becomes less episodic and more interesting as it progresses.

Ryujin

Legend
I had a similar experience with Prodigy, a lot of the earlier episodes feel very formulaic in the "focus character has to learn an important lesson" kind of way. But it becomes less episodic and more interesting as it progresses.
I it quite a bit, but to me it had a definite "Star Trek made for Star Wars fans" vibe.

Vael

Legend
I might be in the minority here but I enjoyed the 1st season of Picard. It might be because I've been a huge fan of the Romulans since Balance of Terror.
The 2nd season had a few good moments but overall it was below average. I am hopeful for season 3. I haven't seen Discovery or Progidy but enjoyed Lower Decks a lot.
I've enjoyed every season of Picard ... but I don't think they've ended well.

S1 Picard was off to a strong start, I loved Picard on the vineyard with the two retired Romulans looking after him. I just thought the show started to meander in the second half and then I found the season finale was just not the best way to wrap up the story.

S2 Picard had an even better start. Admittedly, I was hoping for a continuation of S1, but I did like seeing Rios in charge of the Stargazer, found it interesting to see where all the characters had ended up. But, again, the show lost its way around the second half of the season, and aside from some terrific acting between John Delancie and Patrick Stewart, I didn't care much for the finale. (And I'll be honest, I was hoping they were teeing up a spin-off with Rios and the other new characters, much like Discovery S2 tee'd up SNW with Pike, Una and new Spock)

So, this is why I'm being more guarded here in S3. Was it an exciting introduction to a new story and was I glad to see everyone? Yes. But I didn't like seeing Laris get bussed off the show and I've gotten burned twice now ...

They actually added something about Romulan culture and made them more interesting with that.
The stuff they did with the XBs and the crippled Borg Cube was also quite interesting.
And the Fenris (?) Rangers they introduced (even though we didn't really see much of them) was also interesting. The idea that some Federation do-gooders refuse to be constrained by the Prime Directive and do their own thing in "lawless" is appealing, and it kinda counter-balances the Maquis (who might think of themselves as do-gooders and might have reasonable grievances against the Cardassians and the agreement between Federation and Cardasssia. But in the end, they're fighting for themselves, not others).

Remove ads