Picard Season 3

Honestly if this is her and Picard's son (which seems likely),
I hope not, that is just bad soap opera writing. He had sex with her 20+ years ago and used no 24th century protection and then she got pregnant and kept it a secret somehow.

And it's an annoying retcon. So she would of had to of had sex with Picard near the end of season 1? It's not like the Picard/Crusher relation ship gets any advancement in season 1. Does Picard just wander over after the "Neutral Zone" epsiode and say "lets do it!"

But then she would have to leave the ship near immediately and..somehow hide it at Starfleet Medical...or what beem the baby out of her and put it in a womb? Then leave it for ten ish years, from season 3 to 3rd next gen movie?

I, myself, hope he is the son of one of them candle demons from that 7th season episode....

I've enjoyed Strange New Worlds significantly more than Picard, likely for this very reason.
I mean, to be fair, Strange New Worlds is literally the best Star Trek since the 1990s, so it's hard to compare anything to it. It's like we came straight in at Season 2 or 3 of a 1990s-era Trek with all the boring episodes cut out and with 2020s era special FX. It's not better than good TNG or DS9, but it's certainly better than middling episodes of those, or even the best stuff from VOY and ENT. Already. In Season 1. Madness I tell you! Hopefully it gets at least 5 seasons (I mean Discovery did and whilst Discovery is sometimes unfairly maligned, it ain't great).

But then she would have to leave the ship near immediately and..somehow hide it at Starfleet Medical...or what beem the baby out of her and put it in a womb? Then leave it for ten ish years, from season 3 to 3rd next gen movie?
I think it's more likely the actor is just playing a slightly younger character and if so she became pregnant in or after Season 7 (or the movies) sometime - which would mean no elaborate shenanigans.

It could also be a massive misdirect but honestly I feel like soap opera might be preferable to a massive misdirect because misdirects tend to be associated with annoying mystery box naughty word which we could do with less of.

I think it's more likely the actor is just playing a slightly younger character and if so she became pregnant in or after Season 7 (or the movies) sometime - which would mean no elaborate shenanigans.
I guess she could have hooked up with some random person around 20 years ago and had sex and had a baby. Seems a bit unlikely, but guess she could have gotten off the Enterprise E and said "I need to bang something right now".

Of course, the real twist, will be that the Other Parent is not a biologicaly born male.....Supprise! And they "beamed" DNA together or something to make a son.

Just wait for Picard to say"Beverly's Son? Who is your Other Birth Parent?(as Picard is senscity enough to never just say "how is your father?" just because he, sort of, knows maybe Beverly might be the mother).

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I was taken aback by just how many score callbacks there were. It felt like Trek score fan service, and it was all too obvious, but I can't fault them for taste.

This first episode felt middling to downright bad to me. I feel like nothing happened. Even when a building got transported a block over and 10 40 stories up, the sound of 100s of people screaming in the background almost made up for the writers giving no investment in the building or the people in it.

7's situation and couple of story beats were the most interesting bits.

I'm sure it will get better. A lot of first episodes feel clunky.

Ryujin

Legend
I guess she could have hooked up with some random person around 20 years ago and had sex and had a baby. Seems a bit unlikely, but guess she could have gotten off the Enterprise E and said "I need to bang something right now".

Of course, the real twist, will be that the Other Parent is not a biologicaly born male.....Supprise! And they "beamed" DNA together or something to make a son.

Just wait for Picard to say"Beverly's Son? Who is your Other Birth Parent?(as Picard is senscity enough to never just say "how is your father?" just because he, sort of, knows maybe Beverly might be the mother).
I'm going with a more simple explanation, as likely. Crusher adopted him, some time during the 20 years she was away. That way he could have been, say, 15 years old or something when she became his mother.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I did and you're reading a hell of a lot into that to see it as "absolutely miserable", which again, is a high bar.
I didn't read his comment as there being any kind of comment. I figured he was just saying that his wife and kid are probably glad he's gone because everyone needs time away sometimes, especially some alone time with the kids. That's not a bad thing at all.

I can respect his grumpiness to Riker. He doesn’t like Rikers style, doesn’t like the legacy he left on “his ship”. And now his ship is being pulled away for some bs PR stunt (according to the cover story). So I can understand that dynamic.

But to ADMIRAL Picard, oh hell no. Retired or not, any captain that gives half a damn about their career is going to give an admiral all the courtesy they can muster. Admirals have friends in high places, a few comm calls and suddenly this captain is transferred to some do nothing station in the middle of nowhere.

He might still have told Picard no, but he should have been much more diplomatic about it.

He has a good reason to hate Picard I hear, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I've enjoyed Strange New Worlds significantly more than Picard, likely for this very reason.

The fact that each Picard season is basically one LONG episode means, IMO, that there's just too much packed in and, as you say, no time at all to decompress.

Yeah, I don't think the "every season is basically one long episode" format of most modern trek has really served Star Trek well, for a variety of reasons. One of them is simply that even a pretty solid Star Trek story doesn't generally merit being made into a spawling 8 hour epic. Another is that Star Trek was founded on developing characters and relationships week to week in a variety of different high-concept sci-fi scenarios, but with a fundamental stability of location, goals, etc, and while television drama doesn't need to be made that way, trying to be Star Treky fights against trying to structure it other ways. If I've only ever seen a character under one or two unusual sets of circumstances I hardly feel like I know who they really are, vs. a character who I've seen navigate even a half dozen wildly different alien worlds, subspace anomolies, and holodeck catastrophes.

But I remain optimistic that Picard season 3, having both characters who we already know well (or at least knew well), and whose reunion goes a fair way to justifying the season-long-mega-episode format, will do better than other modern trek with not getting bogged down by the format.

Remove ads