D&D 5E Planescape, Bigby, Phandelver and the Deck of Many Things: Covers & Details Revealed!

See the covers of all the upcoming releases!

The covers of the upcoming D&D books — including Planescape, Glory of the Giants, and the Deck of Many Things have been revealed.

• August 15th -- Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants ($59.95)
  • August 15th -- The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons ($39.95)
  • September 19th -- Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk ($59.95)
  • October 16th -- Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse ($TBA)
  • November 14th -- Book of Many Things ($TBA)

IMG_9191.jpeg

bigby.jpeg

Coming August 15th with two variants. Lore about giants, 76 stat blocks, feats, and a giant subclass.

IMG_9192.jpeg

3 hardcovers in a boxed set-- 96 page guide to Sigil, 64-page bestiary, and 96-page adventure, along with a poster map and DM screen. Coming October 16th.

IMG_9193.jpeg

224-page adventure for levels 1-12, poster map, 16 new monsters. Coming September 19th.

IMG_9194.jpeg

66 illustrated cards, 192-page book with lore, character options, magic items, and monsters, 80-page card reference guide, all in a slipcase. Coming November 14th.​

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Entire regions that can provide way more Adventuring than programmed in the Campaign. The same info got independent books in 2E with similar page count of Setting info and information, in little softcover books. It's a format difference.
Either it's the whole Realms or it's not. If it's not, then it doesn't matter what it contains, it's not the Forgotten Realms setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have you seen the map of the Realms? The whole thing? The Sword Coast is a fraction of the size of the world.
Yes, and so Europe is a fraction of Eurasia, let alone the whole world. I have, in fact studied many maps of the Realms: fictional geography is about as exciting to me as real geography, that's the kind of weirdo that I am. The Sword Coaat region covered in SCAG is the size of Europe. Baldur's Gate : Luskan as San Diego : Vancouver and there's plenty north of Luskan, and the map stretches hundreds of miles East to West. That there is a lot of world outside the Sword Coast area doesn't negate that it is very, very big on the scale of adventuring D&D characters.

I will note that I am referring to the 5E Sword Coast, which restored the original al Greenwoodian map scale from 1E/2E. 3E and 4E had a randomly shrunken Faerûn, but thatbeen retconned back to the accurate geographical scale.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Either it's the whole Realms or it's not. If it's not, then it doesn't matter what it contains, it's not the Forgotten Realms setting.
Setting material is setting.aterial: The FR books were Setting supplements, zoomed in on focused regions. That’s what we have seen with the big Campaign books: the Desserin Valley or Chult are very large, and the information for them can be used to build a lot of further material. I get that you do like thar format, but it exists.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, and so Europe is a fraction of Eurasia, let alone the whole world. I have, in fact studied many maps of the Realms: fictional geography is about as exciting to me as real geography, that's the kind of weirdo that I am. The Sword Coaat region covered in SCAG is the size of Europe. Baldur's Gate : Luskan as San Diego : Vancouver Ed, and there's plenty north of Luskan, and the map stretches hundreds of miles East to West. That there is a lot of world outside the Sword Coast area doesnnegate that it is very, very big on the scale of adventuring D&D characters.
I get that. It's not what a FR setting is, though. It doesn't matter that it's the size of Europe, because the players will want to go to Cormyr, Halruua or Kara Tur. I need ALL the world in a setting or it's simply not going to cut it. I don't railroad my players into staying in one or even more than one region.
I will note that I am referring to the 5E Sword Coast, which restored the original al Greenwoodian map scale from 1E/2E. 3E and 4E had a randomly shrunken Faerûn, but thatbeen retconned back to the accurate geographical scale.
Yeah. I unshrunk it for 3e. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Setting material is setting.aterial: The FR books were Setting supplements, zoomed in on focused regions. That’s what we have seen with the big Campaign books: the Desserin Valley or Chult are very large, and the information for them can be used to build a lot of further material. I get that you do like thar format, but it exists.
The thing with the 3e FR books is that they came out AFTER I got the entire world in one big book. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get that. It's not what a FR setting is, though. It doesn't matter that it's the size of Europe, because the players will want to go to Cormyr, Halruua or Kara Tur. I need ALL the world in a setting or it's simply not going to cut it. I don't railroad my players into staying in one or even more than one region.
Kara Tur is about as well covered in SCAG as it is the FRCS or any box set.

My experience running the FR is with people who haven't digested a lot of FR media from back in the day, so Advneturing in an area the size of Europe has not in fact, felt restrictive at any point. And of they wanted to leave the region, I have the FRCS and a ton of Wikis.
Yeah. I unshrunk it for 3e. :)
As is only appropriate: the one big "what were they thinking?" in the 3E FRCS.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The thing with the 3e FR books is that they came out AFTER I got the entire world in one big book. :)
Sure, and that was a cool book: but consider thar SCAG has been in print longer than the FRCS was, or 3.5 as an Edition, and is still ranking well on Amazon. It is meeting a lot of user's needs as a game product,as are the regional focused Advebture books.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kara Tur is about as well covered in SCAG as it is the FRCS or any box set.
Well, no. There's a rather extensive 2e boxed set that covers it quite well. In any case, that misses the point. The point is that I need everything covered to a decent(not extensive, though that's good, too) degree, because my players roam the world.
My experience running the FR is with people who haven't digested a lot of FR media from back in the day, so Advneturing in an area the size of Europe has not in fact, felt restrictive at any point. And of they wanted to leave the region, I have the FRCS and a ton of Wikis.
We just have different kinds of players I guess. :) Mine will suddenly be like, "Wait! We might be able to find this herb in the desert of Mulhorand. We should go there and see." even though all I said is that it can be found in desert regions and they are right next to the Anauroch. 🤦‍♂️
As is only appropriate: the one big "what were they thinking?" in the 3E FRCS.
(y)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, no. There's a rather extensive 2e boxed set that covers it quite well. In any case, that misses the point. The point is that I need everything covered to a decent(not extensive, though that's good, too) degree, because my players roam the world.
Sure, a boxed set...but not in the main box set. And it never did get any attention in 3E or 4E.
We just have different kinds of players I guess. :) Mine will suddenly be like, "Wait! We might be able to find this herb in the desert of Mulhorand. We should go there and see." even though all I said is that it can be found in desert regions and they are right next to the Anauroch. 🤦‍♂️
See,I'm the onlyone in my player circles who has much mental space invested in FR stuff, so they don't think like that. They do all sorts of crazy stuff, but wanting to do a full tour of Faerûn just doesn't occur to them.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads