D&D 5E Glory of the Giants, Book of Many Things and the Phandelver Campaign have all been delayed, no new 5e content until mid-August.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Technically, yes; but most people IME generally tend to see "fall" as beginning the day after Labour Day, when school starts and things move back into the not-summer routine.

Same way many tend to see "winter" as beginning right after US Thanksgiving, even though the solstice is roughly 4 weeks later.
Also, the solstices and equinoxes mark the transitions between the astronomical seasons, but don’t usually line up with the meteorological seasons, which are much more relevant to most people’s actual experience.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Meteorologically that makes sense. Also this is how most children's books work. Astronomical seasons are quite useless for actually describing your surroundings.

Also going by the old germanic feast of middwinter, asteonomical seasons are 1.5 month late. As midwinter is now the start of astronomical winter.
Because, true to their names, astronomical seasons are based on the position of Earth in its orbit around the sun, whereas meteorological seasons are based on yearly temperature changes. The former is irrelevant to most people’s lives, where the latter is pretty significant to most people. Of course, the latter also varies a great deal depending on where you live, whereas the former is true everywhere on Earth, so it’s a more convenient touchpoint when communicating with people from other parts of the world.

S'mon

Legend
UK Met Office: The seasons are defined as spring (March, April, May), summer (June, July, August), autumn (September, October, November) and winter (December, January, February).

I'd actually never heard of seasons starting with solstice or equinox, the solstices being commonly known as Midwinter & Midsummer. According to

The Definition of a “Season”​

Here is more explanation about how astronomers and meteorologists define seasons differently:

• The astronomical start of a season is based on the position of the Earth in relation to the Sun. More specifically, the start of each season is marked by either a solstice (for winter and summer) or an equinox (for spring and autumn). A solstice is when the Sun reaches the most southerly or northerly point in the sky, while an equinox is when the Sun passes over Earth’s equator. Because of leap years, the dates of the equinoxes and solstices can shift by a day or two over time, causing the start dates of the seasons to shift, too.
  • In contrast, the meteorological start of a season is based on the annual temperature cycle and the 12-month calendar. According to this definition, each season begins on the first of a particular month and lasts for three months: Spring begins on March 1, summer on June 1, autumn on September 1, and winter on December 1. Climate scientists and meteorologists created this definition to make it easier to keep records of the weather, since the start of each meteorological season doesn’t change from year to year.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm guessing shipping is still a tangled mess? Or have they cite any (other) reason for the delay?

I'm still waiting for a free-standing copy of the Dragonlance boardgame.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
UK Met Office: The seasons are defined as spring (March, April, May), summer (June, July, August), autumn (September, October, November) and winter (December, January, February).

I'd actually never heard of seasons starting with solstice or equinox, the solstices being commonly known as Midwinter & Midsummer. According to

The Definition of a “Season”​

Here is more explanation about how astronomers and meteorologists define seasons differently:

• The astronomical start of a season is based on the position of the Earth in relation to the Sun. More specifically, the start of each season is marked by either a solstice (for winter and summer) or an equinox (for spring and autumn). A solstice is when the Sun reaches the most southerly or northerly point in the sky, while an equinox is when the Sun passes over Earth’s equator. Because of leap years, the dates of the equinoxes and solstices can shift by a day or two over time, causing the start dates of the seasons to shift, too.
  • In contrast, the meteorological start of a season is based on the annual temperature cycle and the 12-month calendar. According to this definition, each season begins on the first of a particular month and lasts for three months: Spring begins on March 1, summer on June 1, autumn on September 1, and winter on December 1. Climate scientists and meteorologists created this definition to make it easier to keep records of the weather, since the start of each meteorological season doesn’t change from year to year.
This was new to me as well. So who does use astronomical seasons? I guess USA, but who else?

Quickleaf

Legend
Here in New Zealand, the season starts on the first of the month. So springs starts on September 1st, summer on December 1st, autumn on March 1st, and winter on June 1st. Keeps it simple, I guess.
Yeah but you have a highly venomous spider on your postage stamps! At least you still use feet and inches, so it's not totally backwards. ;)

Have some dignity, people! At least argue about each season's alignment!
Well, I can't see any season actually being Lawful. I mean in the desert summer might be, but then we get the monsoons, and they are pure chaos.

Winter's mild, so Neutral Good around here. But certainly, in some places it's more Chaotic Neutral.

Spring, well that chaos everywhere but their no malice in it, so Chaotic Neutral it is.

As I said, summer is close to lawful, and its hot as hades around here so Neutral Evil no doubt. But I can image places where it could be Neutral Good.

And that leaves Autumn. Maybe this season might actually be Lawful good for a bit, but the beginning and end can certainly be marked by storms and chaos so True Neutral it is!

I guess USA, but who else?
No, not in the USA.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm guessing shipping is still a tangled mess? Or have they cite any (other) reason for the delay?

I'm still waiting for a free-standing copy of the Dragonlance boardgame.
Shipping is significantly more clear across the board, based on my day job experience, but announcing a release window so far in advance was certainly still risky.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah but you have a highly venomous spider on your postage stamps! At least you still use feet and inches, so it's not totally backwards. ;)
I think you might be getting NZ confused with Australia. Everything over there is highly venomous! And NZ doesn’t use feet and inches. It’s all metric.

Remove ads