D&D 5E Planescape, Bigby, Phandelver and the Deck of Many Things: Covers & Details Revealed!

The covers of the upcoming D&D books — including Planescape, Glory of the Giants, and the Deck of Many Things have been revealed.

• August 15th -- Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants ($59.95)
  • August 15th -- The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons ($39.95)
  • September 19th -- Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk ($59.95)
  • October 16th -- Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse ($TBA)
  • November 14th -- Book of Many Things ($TBA)

IMG_9191.jpeg

bigby.jpeg

Coming August 15th with two variants. Lore about giants, 76 stat blocks, feats, and a giant subclass.

IMG_9192.jpeg

3 hardcovers in a boxed set-- 96 page guide to Sigil, 64-page bestiary, and 96-page adventure, along with a poster map and DM screen. Coming October 16th.

IMG_9193.jpeg

224-page adventure for levels 1-12, poster map, 16 new monsters. Coming September 19th.

IMG_9194.jpeg

66 illustrated cards, 192-page book with lore, character options, magic items, and monsters, 80-page card reference guide, all in a slipcase. Coming November 14th.​

Last edited by a moderator:

My inclination/fear is that Planescape 5e is not going to answer any of the cosmological questions, e.g. Is the Great Wheel still around, or does the World Axis model take precedence? At least anymore than the existing 5e books do.
The Great Wheel is in the 2014 DMG - it's been explicitly brought up as the official cosmology as recently as Keys from the Golden Vault.

They certainly may leave the possibility for alternate cosmologies open, but I don't think the Great Wheel is going anywhere.

BovineofWar

Explorer
The Great Wheel is in the 2014 DMG - it's been explicitly brought up as the official cosmology as recently as Keys from the Golden Vault.

They certainly may leave the possibility for alternate cosmologies open, but I don't think the Great Wheel is going anywhere.
Wasn't aware of Golden Vault references! It's been a while, but I thought the DMG had everything, Great Wheel, World Axis, World Tree, etc.?

My point isn't that WotC is going to erase anything, just the new format is here is a bunch of tools/ideas to make your own campaign as opposed to here is everything for this campaign setting pre-established. See Spelljammer or Ravenloft. I don't think we're going to hard lore in the 2e or Pathfinder style.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Wasn't aware of Golden Vault references! It's been a while, but I thought the DMG had everything, Great Wheel, World Axis, World Tree, etc.?

My point isn't that WotC is going to erase anything, just the new format is here is a bunch of tools/ideas to make your own campaign as opposed to here is everything for this campaign setting pre-established. See Spelljammer or Ravenloft. I don't think we're going to hard lore in the 2e or Pathfinder style.
It does have those alternate cosmologies in it I believe, but they are optional changes to the official Great Wheel. Below is 5e DMG page 44.

"THE GREAT WHEEL
The default cosmological arrangement presented in the Player's Handbook visualizes the planes as a group of concentric wheels, with the Material Plane and its echoes at the center."

Vincent55

Adventurer
That's what I was afraid of. It's not going to be Planescape, it's going to be Sigil and a very small portion of the planes. And I bet Sigil will receive the same few pages that The Rock of Bral got. I will not be bilked out of money for this one like I was for Spelljammer. I'll buy again when they produce an actual quality setting.
I hear you man, i have my stuff from back in the day when they put out all those box sets a wealth of information and materials there. They will never put that kind of thing out again that is for sure. I can use that stuff and run it as if the mechanics are not affecting all the fluff information from it.

IGN has a much fuller breakdown of Bigby's in this article:

The monster list is very interesting. If we're getting the old-school gargantua from 1e/2e, that means we'll be seeing Godzilla-type kaiju.

Lol we've been starved for info on upcoming products, and suddenly a huge info dump on one day. Just like waiting for a bus - none come by forever, and then suddenly a bunch at once!

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
IGN has a much fuller breakdown of Bigby's in this article:

The monster list is very interesting. If we're getting the old-school gargantua from 1e/2e, that means we'll be seeing Godzilla-type kaiju.

Lol we've been starved for info on upcoming products, and suddenly a huge info dump on one day. Just like waiting for a bus - none come by forever, and then suddenly a bunch at once!
If the gargantua do return, I'm gonna be so freaking happy!

Also, giant tick... shudders

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases