• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape Pre-order Page Shows Off The Books!

Take a look at the books, poster map, and DM screen!

You can now pre-order Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse from D&D Beyond. The set comes out on October 17th.

Scroll down through the comments to see more various peeks at the books!

• Discover 2 new backgrounds, the Gate Warden & the Planar Philosopher, to build planar characters in the D&D Beyond character builder
  • Channel 7 otherworldly feats, new intriguing magic spells & more powered by planar energies
  • Explore 12 new ascendant factions, each with distinct cosmic ideologies
  • Face over 50 unusual creatures including planar incarnates, hierarch modrons, and time dragons in the Encounter Builder
  • Journey across the Outlands in an adventure for characters levels 3-10 and 17
  • Adds adventure hooks, encounter tables, maps of Sigil and the Outlands & more to your game
This 3 books set comprises:
  • Sigil and the Outlands: a setting book full of planar character options with details on the fantastic City of Doors, descriptions of the Outlands, the gate-towns that lead to the Outer planes, and more
  • Turn of the Fortunes Wheel: an adventure set in Sigil and the Outlands designed for character levels 3-10 with a jump to level 17
  • Morte’s Planar Parade: Follow Morte as he presents over 50 inhabitants of the Outer Plane, including incarnates, hierarch modrons, time dragons, and more with their stats and descriptions

2321b38bdbc2d8e550f36556ba5a79e9_1920_KR.png

Stormonu

Legend
And another thing that got me excited about D&D back in the day is lost. I can't tell you how much fun I had reading the old Deities & Demigods, or Manual of the Planes, that made use of actual mythology. But I guess those aren't names they can copyright.
Deities & Demigods / Legends & Lore was the book that got me interested to read things like the Iliad & Odyssey, Beowulf and a lot of the other "classic" stories of myths and such. Not including them in modern D&D, is to me, a literary crime of omission.

I guess WotC is more interested into unlocking in the DMGuild to earn thanks the 3PPs.

In your game the lore is totally customizable, or even this can be intentional by the DM to avoid players knew too much thanks the wiki.

Today selling is not so easy. If you want to sell lore/background, this can be got freely from fandom wikis, and if you want to sell crunch, there are lots of rival companies. The adventage of D&D as brand is this can be used by Hasbro to sell different types of products.

* What elements from "Path of the Planebreaker" would you add to your own Planescape campaign?

* Now I am imagining a new demiplane, like a mixture of Ravnica, Sigil and Radiant Citadel, the shape is like a "hyperbolic helicoid". To imagine it better, something like a spiral staircase within a toroid spaceship, or one of those modern helicoid-spiral light bulbs. Or something like a "worm drive" with a circular shaft.

1690812421959.png

When it comes to slaad, they're so chaotic that any mind with any sort of order to them simply cannot comprehend them and just makes up an orderly set of them to perceive them. Each mind makes up their own set - but the chaos of the slaad is so insidious and powerful that when one person hears/sees/reads about them, they only comprehend slaad as the set their mind has creates for them. So, for example, while I may believe they are red, blue, and green frogs, you might believe they are striped, polka-dotted, and plain flatworms. But even if I tell you they're frogs, you'll hear "flatworms" instead, and if you write to me that they are flatworms, I'll read "frogs". Even if we meet one together, we'll see it differently. Every individual in the multiverse has their own personal image of the slaad, and there's no way to communicate that with others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's the maddening part of their sloth. The work has already been done and done quite lavishly, in fact. All they would have to do is update the number crunching and some tertiary and quaternary elements of various planes of existence and their inhabitants to merge smoothly with the latest incarnation of D&D. Some 85-90% of the lore could be transferred to the new edition without changing a thing.

Small investment, big payoff--what's not to like from a corporate and a TTRPG community perspective?
Well, they want something that will sell better than 2E Planescape, which was financially a dud.

They are still selling thar, anyways, on the DMsGuild. You can buy it anytime.

The Chaos in D&D is not more like in Warhammer or Michael Moorcock's fiction, but more like Wyld from World of Darkness cosmology.

Dysnomia (deity) - Wikipedia

Have you watched "the Walking Dead"? In serious crisis the groups need a right order for the best cooperation, this is totally necessary to save lifes. Even when we are playing we are obeying the game rules. A happy hippy comune couldn't survive a raid of orcs or gnolls.

And the "chaotic" organized crime has got its own rule system, for example the silence about the criminal actions, the "omertá".

Can't you understand the necessary discipline and hard work to be a profesional artist? It is not like little children drawing.

My own interpretation of "chaotic aligment" is different.

Incenjucar

Legend
"Chaotic" in D&D traditionally disdains governments and chaotic neutral is explicitly associated with anarchy. Chaotic groups typically only stick together long-term because of personality cults or force (Robin Hood's Band of Merry Men, etc.), and will fall apart once that nucleus is gone, where a lawful group would just shuffle the bureaucracy.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
On the whole though, I got sufficiently burnt by Spelljammer that I’m waiting for the reviews, ToC, and a flip through the book in the shop before I shell out money for this one. Fool me once etc.
Me, too.

All my friends from my old Planescape group are all-in to buy this, but I will wait and see after flipping through them before deciding if I want to buy them myself.

BB Shockwave

Explorer
Limbo is the plane of pure chaos. Being able to impose order on the inhabitants is in defiance of what the entire plane stands for. You have to be able to overcome the power of the whole plane to do something like that. It would be like Bahamut changing one of the layers of the abyss LG to force a sense of orderly goodness on that plane. It just doesn't work and isn't something a god has the power to do.
Well the point is, Primus did an experiment to impose order on Limbo, and it did not work. As far as I understand he did not create the Slaadi, they already existed. However they started to use the spawning stone to reproduce, and I think the theory is, the weird gemstones that are inside Slaad brains that can be used to control them, are only in the Slaadi who are created at the Spawning Stone. (Btw I often wondered what use these stones are, since y'know, you have to kill the Slaad to get it - so it is only useful if you kill the Slaad outside of Limbo, and then somehow happen to run into the same one again when they respawn on Limbo.

BovineofWar

Explorer
Well the point is, Primus did an experiment to impose order on Limbo, and it did not work. As far as I understand he did not create the Slaadi, they already existed. However they started to use the spawning stone to reproduce, and I think the theory is, the weird gemstones that are inside Slaad brains that can be used to control them, are only in the Slaadi who are created at the Spawning Stone. (Btw I often wondered what use these stones are, since y'know, you have to kill the Slaad to get it - so it is only useful if you kill the Slaad outside of Limbo, and then somehow happen to run into the same one again when they respawn on Limbo.
I kinda hate that they made that canon in 5e, I liked the traditional Planescape ambituity of maybe it was Primus, maybe it was something else better. More room to expand on, or more mysterious if you're not going to touch it.

I don't know if there's been much on the Slaad since the Great Modern March, but that adventure pointed out that the typical Slaadi are the way they are due to the interference of the Slaad Lords/Gods. Red/Blue/Green/Black Slaad are not 'true slaad', and don't represent the full chaos of Limbo.

Remove ads

Remove ads