D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Maybe. I don’t hear that complaint a lot anyway.

Mostly when I talk to people they often are surprised by what’s available at DMSGuild. Some of those folks have been authors who have things at DMSGuild. Some were even adepts.

I think it’s a combination of snowblindness or analysis paralysis and DMSguilds advertising not working well. Oh and not being in stores or in Amazon, strangely.

You've never had a DM say "Official sources only?"

That fan made Dragonlance book may have some awesome and balanced new stuff that WotC doesn't care to explore but that's just extra work for the DM to verify etc.

"Keep it simple" is a DMs mantra. Or should be.

darjr

I crit!
Alot of FR fans want an official, proper campaign setting book like Eberron got, not fan fiction.
The Dragonlance stuff on DMsGuild was every bit as official, blessed by the authors themselves. Maybe even more so than the WotC book.

There are great FR books by and contributed to and overseen by Ed Greenwood himself! I know he is his own fan but I think that’s as official as it gets.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Dragonlance stuff on DMsGuild was every bit as official, blessed by the authors themselves. Maybe even more so than the WotC book.

There are great FR books by and contributed to and overseen by Ed Greenwood himself! I know he is his own fan but I think that’s as official as it gets.
Per Chris Perkins, Greenwood's word is canon unless contradicted in a book.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You've never had a DM say "Official sources only?"

That fan made Dragonlance book may have some awesome and balanced new stuff that WotC doesn't care to explore but that's just extra work for the DM to verify etc.

"Keep it simple" is a DMs mantra. Or should be.
Exactly. When I run 5E I keep it official only. I don't want to have to police every 3PP thing that comes out or even every random 3PP bit of player-facing content that players will inevitably bring to me. If I miss something like a cantrip that does 10d6 damage or a race that long rests in 5 minutes it's going to be a whole to do at the table to remove that. If you want to play a different kind of catgirl, reskin the tabaxi. If you want to play a different kind of half-demon, reskin the tiefling. That said, I'm 100% fine with DM-facing home brew, DM's Guild, 3PP, etc.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Exactly. When I run 5E I keep it official only. I don't want to have to police every 3PP thing that comes out or even every random 3PP bit of player-facing content that players will inevitably bring to me. If I miss something like a cantrip that does 10d6 damage or a race that long rests in 5 minutes it's going to be a whole to do at the table to remove that. If you want to play a different kind of catgirl, reskin the tabaxi. If you want to play a different kind of half-demon, reskin the tiefling. That said, I'm 100% fine with DM-facing home brew, DM's Guild, 3PP, etc.
I go over 3pp content as I encounter it (whether on my own or through a player bringing it to my attention), review it, and add it to my all-emcompassing living document of Micah's houserules if I like it. Works out great, and it's fun besides.

Remove ads