Spelljammer Planetar, solar, . . . what other 'celestial-object-plus-ar' could we make angels out of?

briggart

Adventurer
Also, what about Sednoidar? A celestial that spends most of its existence performing dangerous mission in the Lower Planes and rarely, if ever, gets to bask in the holy light of the Upper Planes.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There are always the various types of astronomic "lunar month": Synodar, Sideriar, Tropicar, Draconar, and Anomalar.

Given these things rarely all coincide at the same time, perhaps it is considered an omen--either profoundly good or profoundly bad--for there to be a gathering of all five types in one place.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd always wondered where the Solar & Planetar choice had come from, thinking it might have something to do with the Platonic view of the solar system. If someone has knowledge why the names were chosen, I'd certainly like to hear it.
Dante‘ Paradiso (third part of the Divine Comedy) - Dante refers to the nine spheres of Heaven as The Sphere of ~ Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Moon, the The Sun (Sol), The Stars and finally Empyrean (Imperial Heaven) each of these Sphere were associated with a layer of the Angelic Hierarchy.

I’m guessing that Gygax or Mearls used this as a base and made up the word Planetar

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The Empyrean Ark of the Zodiac:

Sagitar, Cancar, Geminar, Leorar, Virgar, Cantauriar, Piscar, Aquariar, Scorpinar, Taurar, Ophiuchar, Aeriar, Librar.

aco175

Legend
All the common ones are taken already, so I'm left with this.

1698407007725.png
1698407036486.png

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Dante‘ Paradiso (third part of the Divine Comedy) - Dante refers to the nine spheres of Heaven as The Sphere of ~ Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Moon, the The Sun (Sol), The Stars and finally Empyrean (Imperial Heaven) each of these Sphere were associated with a layer of the Angelic Hierarchy.

I’m guessing that Gygax or Mearls used this as a base and made up the word Planetar
It is not "imperial" heaven. It is em-pyre-an heaven. The heaven of the celestial flame. What Tolkien poetically referred to as the "flame imperishable" or the "secret fire." The concept ultimately derives from Aristotelian cosmology, where the final heaven was the heaven of fire--hence ἔμπυρος, "in or on the fire." In the Renaissance Christian re-interpretation, it is associated with the incorporeal pure Light of the first day of Creation, the dwelling-place of God the Father (as opposed to Jesus or the Holy Spirit). The empyreal heaven was thus held to be beyond proper mortal understanding, having become so in tune with God's fundamental nature as to be transfinite and indescribable apart from weak circumlocutions.

"Empire" is a Latin word that has to do with having the power to command, e.g. an "imperative" verb is a command. It comes from the Latin verb impero, "I command," etymologically derived from the prefix in-, in this case most likely meaning "by way of," and the existing verb paro, "I arrange, order, contrive, design; I provide, furnish, prepare"

Remove ads