Platinum Knight/Vassel of Bahamut

NemesisDragon

Explorer
Hi there, just wanted to throw this at a few folks and see what the consensus is. I love the idea and premise between the two PrC's Platinum Knight and Vassel of Bahamut. However, I think they are each fairly weak. So with that being said, as I like to get opinions on some things I do, I decided to mix them up and see how that would work. I really like the new stuff, I just want to make sure it's not overpowering. On that note, I will post it here, and I would simply like some opinions on this, and I would surely take opinions on the original classes as well. Here we go.

Well, I suppose here is my rundown on this. I am a DM most of the time as well, so that part is not of worry at the moment lol. Keep in mind a few minor things may need adjusted, think I got the right progression for saves etc. Anyways here goes it:
Champion of Bahamut
Self-explanatory, j/k add flavor later, follower of the deity of good dragons who gains special abilities to combat evil.
Requirements
To qualify to become a Champion of Bahamut, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful Good
Race: Any
Sex: Any
Craft (Armorsmithing): 5+ ranks
Diplomacy: 5+ ranks
Knowledge (Arcana): 4+ ranks
Feats: Dragonfriend
Language: Draconic
Special: Must of single-handedly slain a Red Dragon of Juvenile or higher age.
Class skills
The Champion of Bahamut class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Int), Concentrate (Con), Craft (armor) (Int), Craft (Weapon) (Int), Diplomacy (Chr), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Chr), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nobility/Royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis).
Skills Points Each Level: 2+Int
Class features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Champion of Bahamut gains proficiency with Simple and Martial Weapons. Also gain proficiency with light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, and all shields (including tower shields).
Hit Die: d10.
Class Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spells per Day
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Craft Platinum Armor, Immune to Frightful Presence, Smite Evil Dragon 1/day
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Dragon Senses, Imperious Aura, Hoard +1 Divine casting level
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Combat Feat, Platinum Scales
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Dragonwrack, Smite Evil Dragon 2/day +1 Divine casting level
5th +5 +4 +2 +2 Bahamuts Grace, Hoard
6th +6 +5 +2 +2 Combat Feat, Dragon Senses +1 Divine casting level
7th +7 +5 +2 +2 Dragonwrack, Smite Evil Dragon 3/day
8th +8 +6 +2 +2 Platinum Scales, Dragon Senses, Hoard +1 Divine casting level
9th +9 +6 +3 +3 Combat Feat, Charisma Bonus
10th +10 +7 +3 +3 Dragonwrack, Smite Evil Dragon 4/day, True Seeing +1 Divine casting levels
Spell Progression: Champion of Bahamut gains a Divine caster level every even number level which adds a level to any existing Divine spell casting class, if the Champion of Bahamut has one.
Platinum Armor: you may forge armor out of the scales of a slain Red Dragon of at least Juvenile age. When completed, the scales change to platinum. You may only have one suit of Platinum Armor at a time & it corrodes away if anyone but you wears it. The armor has the following statistics: Armor bonus +8, max Dex bonus +4, Armor check penalty –1, 20% Arcane spell failure, no loss of movement, 25 pounds, considered Masterwork
Immune to Frightful Presence: The champion of Bahamut if Immune to the Frightful Presence of Dragons.
Smite Evil Dragon: The Champion of Bahamut may smite evil dragons (with any normal attack) 1/day beginning at first level. The champion of Bahamut gains more smite abilities as they level and can smite evil dragons 2/day at 4th level, 3/day at 7th level and 4/day at 10th. The Champion of Bahamut adds his Charisma Bonus to the Smite attack and his Champion of Bahamut levels to damage. This does stack with Paladin levels.
Dragon Senses: At 2nd level, The Champion of Bahamut will begin to develop Draconic Senses. At 2nd level the Champion gains low-light vision (2x as far as human), and Darkvision 60’. At 6th level the Champion gains 2x normal vision as human, low-light vision (4x as human) and Darkvision 120’. At 8th level the Champion gains Blindsense out to 30’.
Imperious Aura: At 2nd level the Champion gains Imperious Aura. This aura grants the Champion of Bahamuts Class level to Charisma checks when dealing with dragons and draconic creatures.
Hoard: The character is granted a pile of platinum coins from Bahamuts lair on Mount Celestia. The pile is equivalent to 200x Champions Character Level at 2nd level. 500x Champions Character Level at 5th and 800 x Champions Character Level at 8th. The character cannot spend this coin frivolously. (Basically used for good causes which include upgrading gear etc).
Combat Feat: At 3rd, 6th and 9th level the Champion gains access to a bonus feat derived from the Fighter Feat list and Draconic Feat that may be used to combat Dragons. The Champion still has to qualify for the feat normally.
Platinum Scales: The Champion skin becomes tougher and takes on a platinum sheen. At 3rd level the Champion gains a Natural Armor bonus of +1, or its existing Natural Armor improves by +1. At 8th level, the Natural Armor bonus is a total of +2.
Dragonwrack: Starting at 4th level the Champion gains the Dragonwrack ability. At 4th level whenever a Champion succeeds in striking an Evil Dragon, the dragons takes an additional +2d6 damage. Whenever an evil dragon strikes the Champion it will take 1d6 damage. Half of this damage is permanent hit point drain. At 7th level the damage increases to +3d6/1d6. At 10th it is increased to +4d6/2d6.
Bahamuts Grace: At 5th level the Champions gains a bonus to his saving throws equal to his Charisma Modifier when making saves against Evil Dragons. This does stack with a Paladins Divine Grace Ability.
Charisma Bonus: At 9th level the Champion gains a +2 Charisma Bonus
True Seeing: At 10th level the Champion gains True Seeing useable 1/day. Once activated, the effect last for 1 hour or until deactivated.

I personally like it alot. I have seen a few attempts online at this and if anybody thinks this is overpowering, you should have seen those ones. Things to keep in mind is that the earliest this could be taken is level 8, and yeah we got some nice stuff on here but by time you max out you'd be 18 at earliest and with that in mind, not to bad at all.

The one thing I took out requirement wise was the have two vows from BoED. I know it represented the dedication to Bahamut, but it was a little much. Dragonfriend is enough IMO to show dedication to the cause. The feat selection is a little more broad as well as most feats in BoED are not great, and I figured as it seems a little more combat oriented that the fighter/draconic feats would work better.

I also contemplated changed the slaying of dragon thing, to any chromatic of young adult or older (even it out for reds) but I like the idea that reds are supposed to be the epitome of chromatic, hence the greatest enemy and a greater test.
Anyways, go from there lol :D

NemesisDragon

Explorer
Absolutely no takers at all? I would really appreciate a little input if anybody has time, I guess if I don't see anything in a few days this thread is obviously dead lol. A pre-emptive thanks though.

cooperflood

First Post
Since this thread has been necroed I thought I might give some PEACH.

First the prereqs:
You said it can't be entered untill 8th level, but the prereqs only require you to be 2 level. I know slaying a Juv Red Dragon is pretty much impossible at that level, but still. Personally I would add back in a BAB requirement. +7 BAB if you want to restrict it to Fighters/Paladins or +5 if you want to leave it open to Clerics.

Actual Class:
I don't think it's too strong, simply because the vast majority of it's abilities are only good against a fairly specific foe. That said I do think some of them are boring. I don't like the Hoard ability (never have). How about something a little more interesting like this:

Draconic Casting: At 2nd Level the Champion of Bahamut adds Feather Fall, Jump, Resist Energy and Fly to his Spells Known. Additionally he cast a spell learned through Draconic Casting as a swift action 1/day. This increases to 2/day at 5th level and 3/day at 8th level.

Remove ads