• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Play-by-Post] Tips & suggestions

Torillan

First Post
I've been considering starting up a play-by-post game, most likely using Scarred Lands. My question is this: what's the best way to approach this? I realize that it involves a lot of work, and will be slow, but any suggestions on how to proceed would be helpful.

P.S. - I have read the Dragon mag article that appeared recently, but wondered what other peoples impressions were.

Douane

First Post
Did you check out our "Gaming Action" forums, especially "Talking the Talk" for Out-of-character discussion and "Playing the game" for the actual games?

There's also the indispensable Play by Post FAQ.

Hope this helps!

Folkert

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Consider that you'll need much less combat and much more roleplaying, since combat takes forever, and roleplaying can be left alone with minimal DM interuption, if the players are willing to take amongst themselves.

Also, enjoy how much thinking time you have! And just go for it.

Storminator

First Post
Tallarn said:
Consider that you'll need much less combat and much more roleplaying, since combat takes forever, and roleplaying can be left alone with minimal DM interuption, if the players are willing to take amongst themselves.

Also, enjoy how much thinking time you have! And just go for it.

This is only true for RPing between PCs once you throw an NPC into the mix, it's just a slow as combat.

The one thing that worked best for me: hand pick your players very carefully. Don't just throw open a call for anyone interested. Send private emails to those you want in the game, and only take on those that are really interested. You're going to be talking to these folks a LOT, and you'll be dealing with them for a long time. So make sure it's enjoyable.

If that's taken care of, it's easy to run a game.

PS

Remove ads