D&D General "Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender." (a poll)

"Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender."

• True.

Votes: 154 91.7%
  • False.

Votes: 14 8.3%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
True or False: "Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender."

This one is pretty straightforward. Do your players ever play characters of a different gender from themselves? Men playing women. Women playing men. Either playing non-binary or vice versa? Is that cool? Is that a problem?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
True for my group.

In particular, while everyone has played at least one character in the last 12+ years that was of a different gender from themselves, one player and myself often prefer playing characters of the opposite gender from ourselves (he likes creating and playing female characters, and I enjoy creating and playing male characters).

delericho

Legend
Yes.

For a very long time I had an absolute ban on it - I'd seen several instances where it had been horrible and no counter-examples, so that was that. That gradually fell by the wayside about fifteen years ago, largely due to leaving one group and forming another, and fortunately it hasn't been a problem since. (It's still not particularly common...)

Of course, the DM has always played characters of different sexes, genders, and indeed those with neither.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Absolutely.

Since as long as I've been playing actually, though I didn't until my first 4e character, purely for the fact that she HAD to be a cartoon cheerleader (out of spite for someone who said all tieflings had to be angstlords), but I'd done it lot since. Currently playing two women out of my four characters.

Sometimes, just sometimes we also play characters of a different species.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Dungeon fantasy, you say...
With my beer drinking gaming buddies...
i feel sick flu GIF

Remove ads