D&D General "Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender." (a poll)

"Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender."

• True.

Votes: 154 91.7%
  • False.

Votes: 14 8.3%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Oh yeah, all the time. My main D&D gaming group is all-male, and I'd say about 1/3 of all of our characters have been female.

In my wife's D&D gaming group, I'm the only male player. And in that campaign, the characters are a 50/50 split between both sexes.

EDIT:
Woops, I just noticed that this poll is asking about gender, and not sex. So in that light:

Oh yeah, all the time. My main D&D gaming group is all cis-het male, but I'd say that less than a quarter of our characters are also cis-het. We commonly have characters of a gender that doesn't match that of the player: opposite-gendered characters, nonbinary characters, even a genderfluid eladrin.

In my wife's D&D gaming group, there are two nonbinary players and three cisgender players. Our characters are mostly gendered female, except for a nonbinary elf.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Heh. Does "player" include the DM?

Every DM is gender fluid! ;)
I once played a hunter game with a dude who refused to RP women. Every woman we tried to interact with went entirely third person novel in their response, so it'd be like:

We meet a dude:

"Hello there. I am Theodore T Dude, and I have a whole backstory and quirks and a voice!"

We meet a lady:

She looks at you and says a greeting. She does not want to talk to you farther. Said in a dull monotone.

So obviously, I had to go visit my heretofore unknown mother and five sisters for character reasons, just to see what happened...

Stormonu

Legend
One of my longest played characters, Kalli Bloodblade, did not match my gender. I have run into games though, where the gamemaster was uncomfortable with someone not playing their gender, and wouldn't allow cross-gender play, and I respected that.

I mean, as a DM, I have to do it all the time as NPCs. Why can't I trust my players to be able to do it too as the single character they're running? Also, none of the players in the group are elves, dwarves or whatnot, so why is being a different race not a problem, and gender is?

The real problem for me always seems to be remembering someone isn't playing their gender.

Medic

Neutral Evil
Dungeon fantasy, you say...
performance artist.jpg

Remove ads