D&D General Players' Poll: Which Alignment(s) Have You Played?

Players: Which Alignment(s) Have You Played?

• Lawful Good

Votes: 89 78.1%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Lawful Evil

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 101 88.6%
  • True Neutral

Votes: 76 66.7%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 67 58.8%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • Unaligned/Other/I'm a DM/Etc.

Votes: 44 38.6%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Looks like Alignment is a hot topic once again in these forums, and so I wanted to dust off a poll idea that I had a few months ago and never got around to posting.

This is a quick poll for players only: check the box on every alignment that you've played for at least one of your characters, for at least one whole adventure from start to finish. (No DMs allowed...so don't vote for any DMPCs, or NPCs, or monsters...this is for player characters only.)

So with that in mind: check every box that applies.
I can't remember ever having played a NE character, so I voted for all but that one.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My issue with evil PCs is most players just play them as "really selfish", which IMO is NOT actual evil.

The one time in college we played an "evil" campaign, after about 3 sessions I felt sick to my stomach and during the 4th session I just had to stop. It was getting into the realm of real evil and not comfortable at all.

I don't even enjoy playing truly evil villains as the DM, so I can't image anyone who really wants to play evil PCS at this point. Power-hungry, murderous evil is one thing, sadistic is truly another IME. shudder :(

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Recent;y played a LE tiefling fiend-tome warlock who was in a succubus/incubus MLM and adventured as a way to cash out the scheme. He was evil because he'd steal soul in every town.

Playing evil in a long term campaign requires putting constraints on the PC that isn't easy to keep up.

Yaarel

He Mage
As DM, I have played every alignment, including Unaligned.

I have a clear understanding what each ethical alignment means.

• Good: altruistic
• Evil: predatory
• Lawful: group-oriented
• Chaotic: individual-oriented
• Neutral: mix

The resulting nine alignments describe an "ethical" worldview.

To be "Unaligned" means to have a mind that is unable to process the concept of ethics. Normally this means a beast creature type that has an Intelligence of 5 or lower. But there can be other examples of Unaligned, such as a golem, or so on.

Heh, I have to admit, as a player, my go-to alignment seems to be Neutral Good. It optimizes between group expectations and individual freedoms, whatever seems to accomplish the most good.

aco175

Legend
I limited the poll for the last several years, since over 40 years I have tried everything once. Basically all the goods and LN a couple times. Lately I have just been using a generic 'good'.

jgsugden

Legend
I've been here 40 years, so I've played everything at one time or another, including homebrews without alignment (which is something I did for a long time), homebrews with lip service to alignment (which is what I currently do - it is there in theory, but hardly ever has a game impact), and systems where they added additional spectrums between law/chaos an good/evil (such as faithful/atheist, honorable/dishonarable, and serious/silly).

My belief, at the end of the day, is that the mechanic does not provide sufficient value and should be excluded. In the place of it should be a decision by the DM on whether the underlying target of divine magics that currently rely upon alignment would be approving or disapproving of the life choices of a target - making it specific to that deity's interpretation (as lignment usually comes up in the context of divine magic).

Shiroiken

Legend
Only counting chosen alignment (since AD&D had ways to force an alignment change), I've still played every alignment multiple times. In my early days my favorite alignments were LG, NG, and LN, but as I've gotten older I prefer CG and TN, since I no longer feel the need to be the "perfect" hero type.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I can't remember ever playing LN. Otherwise, sure.

My go-to alignment is definitely NG. I just like characters that want to do the right thing, regardless of the trouble they might get into doing it.

The greatest party my group ever played is our all-arcane Evil party. The trick is to think of them as people, not as characters. We put more thought into these character's personalities than any other characters we have ever played (as a group effort). They are terribly faulted, but they still have hopes, dreams, loves, and friends. Y'know. Like people do. They're just ultimately too power-hungry and willing to do whatever it takes to get their goals to be good.

I played everything and my favorite alignment is still Lawful Good. I played a few evil campaigns as a player and I can play evil to the core. Some were surprised at what someone who do so much charity work could do as evil. I always told them that it was easy. Do everything that I abhor and here I go.

There are very good reasons why I have a no evil rule in my games. I know too well where a well played evil character can go and do. No one should have to play this, no one should enjoy playing this.

Remove ads