• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players Who Are Too Smart?

Treebore

First Post
That is how I prefer to do it, but if I can't and allowing the player to continue will ruin the long term viability of my game, I just tell them to stop and why. Thats it.

I whole-heartedly agree with that article.. and having been on both sides of the screen when a plot suddenly got a short-cut to victory, I think its a good part of the game.

Does it make running a fun session a little difficult? Yup, but thats just part of the job of the GM.

Quick example, running CP2020 and one of my sneaky players had built up a skill at the stock market. Didn't think anything of it. Game time was based on a published module that followed the standard line of infiltrate bad guy corperation to get a widget...
Widow, bless her heart, ran a hostile take-over on the company and then walked in as a CEO and told her new company to give the widget to her. Planned 6 hour session, module complete in 1.5 hours...
Of course, the rest of the game centered on the various responses to the hostile take-over.. it turned out okay. I ended up banning the skill and allowed a reallocation of Widow's skill points.

Zen

First Post
Still, the answer given in the column was, in short, 'be a smarter DM', which is good advice to give but hard to follow.

--Z

Wraith Form

Explorer
Yeah. I'm not a smart guy by any stretch, and I have 4 intelligent and often creative players, some who are excellent tacticians.

That's why I visit these boards, where there are 1,000 excellent tacticians. ;)

I think the thing I've walked away understanding is that, it's better to cut the game short and say "Yes, you can do that" and have the players "win" than to say "No" and crush them underfoot. I'll just have to stop the game early (if needed) and think up something else to challenge them with.

Harmon

First Post
I have a Player that is lots smarter then me (graduated from SJSU in the top 90 odd % with a CS degree), he sees through a lot of plots.

A good GM can work with smart player, work on the fly and keep them entertained- that is the hard part, but a flow helps.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I like how the example is of "Creative thinking without understanding the rules or, well, life."

Not sure really how that, in particular, applies to a player being smart.

Brad

Agent Oracle

First Post
Three approaches i have for dealing with my powergamer / brilliant tactician players.

1. Early in the game: Challenge Every Possible Skill. Within the first two game sessions of my current campaign, I had gotten players to jump (across a mud pit), balance (on a shaky old wagon), hide (from the very scary enemy monster), sneak (away from the monster!), tumble, climb, bluff, intimidate, ride, and do everything else imaginable. As a result, after the party made second level, my Powergamer pulled me aside and told me "This is a first, I have no skills at max ranks..."

That made me smile all week.

Another thing to do with smart players is the "Murphy's Law" effect. Wherein you imagine how their brilliant plan would go, from the worst possible angle. And then give players a fair chance against it... For example: That psion? I'm entirely in favor of him accidentally stepping on toes and getting his hat knocked off, or walking past a resting Warg who realizes something is up, or any of a wide variety of "Things That Can Go Wrong"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads