D&D 5E Playing through a Sample Stat Draft (COMPLETED!)

This reminds me of a thing I saw online years ago, but I can't remember where. In that version, the pre-rolled stats were lined up on a grid, and players would take turns "drafting" a whole row or column at a time. Does anyone remember seeing that method?
I'd have to see that to understand how it works - but I am interested in all variations on stat drafting.
I believe these are the droids you’re looking for:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So... How did you come up with the matrix? Massage the typical array with one row per character?

I started with the standard array and then raised and lowered numbers for each set to keep them close and look like a good range of numbers in the middle (for the first matrix). I did the same thing for the second matrix, but raised more numbers to 16 and lowered more numbers over all to get a high and low range with less in the middle.

I then added up all the numbers in each set and compared and tweaked until both had the same total number. In the past I have kept them within five points of each other - but this time I wanted to try using equal totals.

I also tried to make sure that everyone could have at least one 16 to 18 or two or more 15+ using the floating ASI.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I started with the standard array and then raised and lowered numbers for each set to keep them close and look like a good range of numbers in the middle (for the first matrix). I did the same thing for the second matrix, but raised more numbers to 16 and lowered more numbers over all to get a high and low range with less in the middle.

I then added up all the numbers in each set and compared and tweaked until both had the same total number. In the past I have kept them within five points of each other - but this time I wanted to try using equal totals.

I also tried to make sure that everyone could have at least one 16 to 18 or two or more 15+ using the floating ASI.
I kinda liked that one had more high and low scores and the other had more average ones. That made it possible to make one character with very “safe” picks and one I could play a bit riskier.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hey hey to those participated in this (@TwoSix, @FitzTheRuke , @Charlaquin, @Baron Opal II @Swarmkeeper & @prabe) or followed along or is interested after the fact. . . I just released my latest HOW I RUN IT zine which includes instructions, sample arrays, and an example draft based on the one in this thread (I changed/shortened participant names for clarity and to shield their identities ;) :ROFLMAO:)
Anyway, links to how to order it if you're interested are found in the last post of this thread.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Just resurrecting this to say I ran through one in person today for my new "Primordial Evil" campaign (based on ToEE)

1675557596997.png

Remove ads