Please break my "gritty" rules set.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm glad to help!

Just so we're clear, your list at this point is:

MU: Warlock (HR w/Hexblade's Curse power), Binder, Totemist
Warrior: Warblade, Crusader, Totem Warrior (AU/AE class)
Skill-guy: Rogue, Swordsage, Scout

Its a good list, but certain caveats still remain- mainly my concern (at least) that the Bo9S classes might tend to seriously overshadow the other classes you've chosen, especially the Totemist.

Seriously, Nifft's rankings are pretty close to the general consensus, power-wise. (Not that I'm overly concerned with balance & power issues, but in a campaign such as this, it could be a serious issue.)

If you seriously wish to keep the Bo9S classes as written, reconsider:

1) Melding the Ranger & Scout. In your case, I'd meld more Ranger stuff to the Scout than the usual path (which is the other way)- that will maintain them as one of your Skill-guy classes.

2) Whatever changes you'd have made to the Barbarian might also be in order with the Totem Warrior.

3) Boost the Totemist's & Binder powers in some way- shapechanging, some kind of Aura powers (like the Marshal, Divine Mind, or Dragon Shaman), or some such.

Morandir Nailo

First Post
Hmm. I'm beginning to think that the grim 'n gritty system is just too much. It's definitely interesting, but the crit system is just too complex, and it's a little too easy to one-shot opponents, nevermind keeping track of extra status effects. What effects do you guys see from switching to a Vitality/Wounds system instead? It's simple, and works off the current HP rules; much better for what I want.

Mor

Nadaka

First Post
Hmm. I'm beginning to think that the grim 'n gritty system is just too much. It's definitely interesting, but the crit system is just too complex, and it's a little too easy to one-shot opponents, nevermind keeping track of extra status effects. What effects do you guys see from switching to a Vitality/Wounds system instead? It's simple, and works off the current HP rules; much better for what I want.

Mor

I personally prefer the W/VP system. There are several different ways of doing them.

In D&D its typically quite easy to deal many tens of damage at a time at higher levels. You want to choose a W/VP system where a critical hit isn't 100% fatal under those circumstances. So I would suggest one where being dropped to or below 0 wounds causes a save vs death, rather than death outright.

Remove ads