Plenty Of Time To Die: A Shadowdark Review

1681246375267.png

Blockbuster Kickstarters tend to be examples of the old adage of “An overnight success years in the making”. The recent Shadowdark one that raked in over a million USD is a perfect example. While The Arcane Library wasn’t as well known as some third party 5e creators, it was doing excellent work in the 5e space and racking up a fan base that reacted well to Shadowdark. It also likely hit at just the right time as D&D fans were looking for a new flavor of dungeon crawl. Creator Kelsey Dionne was kind enough to give me an advance copy of the full PDF and discussed the game at Gary Con where she was running full table demos for enthusiastic backers. How does the game recapture that dangerous feeling of classic dungeon crawls while still keeping popular elements of 5e? Let’s play to find out.

Shadowdark throws things back to a classic dungeon crawl experience with quick character creation, deadly encounters that players must weigh between fighting, avoiding or outright fleeing. Dionne has said that she wants to deliver those old school elements but not be stuck with legacy mechanics. Take the best stuff from those older sourcers but also elements from more modern designs. There are also a few things in the game that make it unique. The most well known one is the use of a real life timer. Torches last one hour in the dungeon and things get much more difficult in the dark. Time and light also seem like resources that can endanger characters beyond the claws of monsters and the spikes of traps. Staying out of the dark becomes something the DM can use to complicate encounters. Monsters go after whoever holds the light source first. Players have to find a place to stash the torch during a treacherous climb. That timer also puts pressure on the players to act rather than planning to plan.

Character creation wears its ancient influences on its bracers. Six traits, 3d6 for each all the way down with four classes to choose from. All of these classes fit on one or two pages for ease of reference and simplicity of choice. That randomness extends to a handful of charts where players can roll for a completely random character. The breeziness of the process makes it easy to ditch a set of rolls for a new character or not get too broken up should that character become a grue snack early on in the game. Randomness continues as characters grow with level ups coming off of a chart that contains the usual mix of class talents, ability improvements and such. Rolling a 12 means the player chooses, otherwise progression is left a little to chance. XP is handled by collecting treasure, allowing for players to grow without having to throw down in combat. As someone who prefers to design characters, this isn’t my usual cup of tea, but I’ve also come to enjoy playing characters as they lie too. Gaining a +1 to longsword attacks tells an emergent story based on what happened in the dungeon. It brings to mind those moments where a fighter pulls out their trusty weapon and says “We’ve been through a few things, haven’t we?” that fits this kind of story better.

There are also modern bits of design in Shadowdark. The most obvious lift is advantage and disadvantage but there are others that stand out from the general classic D&D base. Ancestry is another, both in using the modern terminology and being a broad feat-style bonus rather than a predetermined number of bonuses and penalties. These characters also are given smaller, wider bonuses as they level rather than cranking up the math to higher levels. Armor Class goes up, ability scores turn into d20 modifiers and casters only lose spells on a failed casting roll. Though the fights are brutal, death saves of a sort exist. Characters have 1d4 plus their CON modifier to either roll a 20 on their turn or get healed/stabilized. Enough of these elements exist that make this an excellent game for older D&D players to show new 5e fans how things were done in the “old days” without worrying about explaining THAC0 or why the wizards must carry around a dagger.

A few elements blend the old school and the modern together. Players gain XP for gaining treasure but they also gain it for spending treasure on raucous nights at the pub. The more players spend, the more XP they gain. There are charts of course, that offer other consequences of those blurry nights of carousing. Consequences that can tie in to later adventures. When that mysterious tattoo the wizard picked up during their last trip to town starts glowing in the dungeon, it’s a good way to weave a longer story into the game.

And if the rules included aren’t enough, Shadowdark provides options. Even something central like the torch timer has options as something the players can watch on the clock or something the DM tracks behind the screen. GMs can turn the dial towards hardcore with choices like death at zero hit points or making stabilization harder or they can lower the difficulty through more use of luck tokens or giving out XP for dead monsters. Though the four basic classes offer a lot of options more official ones, like the Pit Fighter and the Hell Knight, have been seen in upcoming Cursed Scroll supplements. Kickstarer backers also chose the ranger and the bard to be developed as stretch goals. The lightness of the classes means making one that feels like an old favorite very easy for homebrew and third party options.

Beyond official expansions, rules edits or third party community choices, Shadowdark captured one of 5e’s most underrated strengths: adaptability. With a minimum of prep time, I feel like I could run everything from King’s Festival to The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho tonight for a mix of players who’ve never played and ones that have been around since the 80s. Shadowdark cuts most of the fat of other versions of D&D, leaving a lean, mean dungeon crawling machine.

You don't have to take my word for it. This Shadowdark Quickstart contains everything you need to try out the game.

Last edited:

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
For me, it’s the building on a 5e base, which is more comfortable to me. And it’s the elegant simplicity of the classes. And it’s the reduction of scale for things like xp, and the straightforward nature of “a bag of treasure” as the basic unit. It’s the particular aesthetic, with the great art and Dionne’s amazingly smart page designs. And almost above all, it’s the dismissal of Gygaxian casting and the use of a magic system I actually like.

Many of those elements are available elsewhere. But disabilities make me happy for all-I’m-one solutions where someone else did the work. And nobody else could bring her aesthetic, in the same way that nobody could imitate, say, Luka Rejec.

Nine of that has to matter to anyone else. But all of it does to me.

This is one of those games that I admit I just don't get. There was a huge amount of excitement over the game, and it made huge numbers with the Kickstarter but ... it looks like just another take on the OSR. And that's not a bad thing but why would you need this game versus the dozen or so offerings that are already out there? It has a solid graphic design and look but what's in the offering to bring it to the table?

I'm definitely not attempting to yuck on anyone's yum but I'd really like to know what's special about it.
I've bounced off of many of those OSR games. I think SD resonates with me because it captures the feel of those dangerous early dungeon crawls without feeling beholden to design choices made 40 years ago. I like that it has customization options in the rules. I like that ancestry plus class is a thing rather than an "elf" class. I like difficulty as four DCs on one axis and advantage/disadvantage on the other. I like the feeling of making characters and being neck deep in a dungeon within an hour.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The breeziness of the process makes it easy to ditch a set of rolls for a new character or not get too broken up should that character become a grue snack early on in the game.
But there are no grues in the core rulebook, alas!

Ran another game of Shadowdark this weekend, running two players (both trying out wizards and the roll-to-cast system for the first time). Complete blast, extremely intuitive to both play and DM -- and very deadly.

One player kept easily making his spellcasting rolls to fire off magic missile over and over again (the combination of a high Intelligence and being an elf made him a bit cocky). But once their luck began to run out, it ran out very quickly.

I backed the full book, but I concur that the quickstart rules are so shockingly complete, that I urge anyone curious about the game to pick them up. They're the equivalent of an old school basic boxed set, with enough content (including a good-sized dungeon) to keep a group occupied through level three at least.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is one of those games that I admit I just don't get. There was a huge amount of excitement over the game, and it made huge numbers with the Kickstarter but ... it looks like just another take on the OSR. And that's not a bad thing but why would you need this game versus the dozen or so offerings that are already out there? It has a solid graphic design and look but what's in the offering to bring it to the table?

I'm definitely not attempting to yuck on anyone's yum but I'd really like to know what's special about it.
Hasn't this been asked and answered several times in the past?

Most OSR games are retroclones, bringing a late 1970s/early 1980s mechanical chassis to the table. That's great if you want it, but it's a turn off for plenty of people.

In contrast, Shadowdark will be extremely familiar to 5E DMs and players, with a unified d20 resolution system, advantage/disadvantage and ascending AC. But it leaves out a lot of the 5E complications, like explicit skills, feats and multiple action types. It also dumps Vancian casting.

Yes, an OSR enthusiast with a big collection could assemble Shadowdark out of half a dozen games that are already out there. It turns that that's not what most people want to do, though, so "we've got this already" isn't really true.

Someone went through and catalogued the most recommended OSR games. It's an interesting and helpful list--about half of the commonly recommended games are not retroclones, but "new school revolution" games. I think Shadowdark fits most within that latter group of games (i.e. "NSR" games).

This DIY and hacking mindset led to a formation of a category that can be viewed either as a subset of the OSR proper, or as a separate parallel scene. It is variously called NSR (New School Revolution), Nu-OSR, post-OSR, or “OSR-adjacent”. Again, there are multiple divergent definitions out there. But I think it’s best to understand the NSR strand as characterized by the focus on mechanical innovation, a more adventurous approach to settings, and a lack of strict mechanical compatibility with the original games of the 1980s. The NSR systems are often minimalist and treat the actual old-school games as sources of inspiration rather than dogmas to be followed.

Shadowdark seems to do some innovative things here that similar games don't. For example, the way it explicitly gamifies torches/monster behavior (beyond just the 1 real time hour limit thing):

Time and light also seem like resources that can endanger characters beyond the claws of monsters and the spikes of traps. Staying out of the dark becomes something the DM can use to complicate encounters. Monsters go after whoever holds the light source first. Players have to find a place to stash the torch during a treacherous climb. That timer also puts pressure on the players to act rather than planning to plan.

Last edited:

martinlochsen

Explorer
It is a very well designed game IMO. On the surface, there is nothing special about it. All the rules seem familiar and nothing revolutionary (except maybe the real time torches). But I think what makes the game special is how all the design choices work together towards supporting the intended play style. It's just really well considered in every aspect.
It's also all the things people have been saying above. The evocative style of the layout and art, the simplicity. It also seems like a really easy game to mess around with and house rule as you want because everything is so straight forward. I simply love it. The only other game that I think is close to this in terms of awesomeness is Sharp swords and sinister spells, which is a lot less talked about than it deserves to be I think.
Anyway, for anyone curious, just pick up the free quickstart rules, like others have said. It gives you a really complete impression of the rules.

It's kind of a curated best of OSR...or maybe best of "Nu-SR". It takes good ideas from many different sources -- 5e, Black Hack, Dungeon Crawl Classics, others -- and fuses them together into a coherent whole, with a few clever takes of its own (like the carousing for XP system). No one thing about it is incredibly special or unique, but the way it all fits together is quite nice.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases