Podcast #113 Exploring Eberron with Keith Baker (Win Exploring Eberron Hardcovers!)

This week, Morrus and Peter are joined by Keith Baker to talk about Exploring Eberron! In the news, Dungeons & Dragons 2020 survey, Masters of the Universe RPG, Star Trek Adventures Villains pack, ICv2 RPG sales rankings, Level Up: Advanced 5e from EN Publishing, and more! Plus Our Favorite Game in All the World, a brand new sketch about a party intervention, and a contest! Also Keith asks...

This week, Morrus and Peter are joined by Keith Baker to talk about Exploring Eberron! In the news, Dungeons & Dragons 2020 survey, Masters of the Universe RPG, Star Trek Adventures Villains pack, ICv2 RPG sales rankings, Level Up: Advanced 5e from EN Publishing, and more! Plus Our Favorite Game in All the World, a brand new sketch about a party intervention, and a contest!

Also Keith asks three questions (yes, you have to listen to the whole thing to hear them all) — three lucky winners will get hardcover copies of Exploring Eberron!

eberron2.png

Subscribe on iTunes | Google Play | YouTube | TuneIn | Stitcher | Blubrry | Podbean | Spotify | Android

Our Guest

Keith Baker (no title)

The Download Podcast The Download Podcast – Keith Baker & Andy Looney

Twogether Studios Twogether Studios

-------------------

News

Star Trek Adventures Iconic Villains KHAAAAAN! And Other Iconic Trek Villains

Death in Freeport 20th Anniversary Edition for 5e Death in Freeport - 20th Anniversary Edition - Green Ronin Publishing | Fifth Edition Compatible | DriveThruRPG.com

Legends of Grayskull: Masters of the Universe RPG You Have The Power! New Masters of the Universe RPG!

Starfinder Devastation Ark Adventure Path paizo.com - Community / Paizo Blog

Rivers of London RPG Design Team Announced Press - Rivers of London RPG: the creative team is assembled!

Level Up Advanced 5e from EN Publishing Level Up - Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Is Coming!

Take the Survey about Level Up Advanced 5e Level Up Survey #1: Broad Outlines

Twilight 2000 Kickstarter Twilight: 2000 – Roleplaying in the WWIII That Never Was

ICv2 Sales Stats for RPGs Spring 2020 ICv2's Top 5 RPGs for Spring 2020 - D&D 3PPs In The Chart!

News Digest for the Week of August 14 (Shadow of the Weird Wizard, News Digest for the Week of August 14

Goodman Games Castle Amber “Remaster” Available for Pre-Order OAR #5: Castle Amber Now Available for Pre-Order!|Goodman Games

Wizards of the Coast Dungeons & Dragons Survey D&D Survey 2020 | Dungeons & Dragons

-------------------

Kickstarters

Svilland Svilland: 5E Norse Setting & Freyja's Tears A Grim Adventure

Magic School Mystery Magic School Mystery

Find all the RPG crowdfunding projects ending soon every week with Egg Embry’s RPG Crowdfunding News on EN World RPG Crowdfunding News – Svilland, Axon Punk, Lands of Theia, and more

-------------------

Exploring Eberron

Exploring Eberron on DMs Guild Exploring Eberron - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron (5e) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeon Masters Guild

Eberron: Rising from the Last War Eberron: Rising from the Last War (D&D Campaign Setting and Adventure Book) (Dungeons & Dragons): Wizards RPG Team: 6225632853273: Amazon.com: Books

Keith Baker’s Website (no title)

Keith Baker’s Patreon Keith Baker is creating Web Content for RPGs | Patreon

-------------------

Contest Entries should be submitted to morruspodcast@gmail.com with the answers to all three questions, which you can find by listening to the podcast. Entries must be received by Friday, August 21, 2020, at 2:00 PM BST (9:00 AM Eastern Time), winners will be announced on the podcast released on August 29.

-------------------

Please support us on Patreon at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon

Don’t forget to join the Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk Facebook group at Facebook Groups and join us on Discord at Join the Morrus' Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk Discord Server!!

-------------------

Hosts: Russ “Morrus” Morrissey and Peter Coffey

Editing and post-production: Darryl Mott

Kickstarter News Column used for the Kickstarter Game: Egg Embry

Theme Song: Steve Arnott

Kickstarter Game Theme: Lyrics by Russ Morrissey, Vocals by “drwilko”, Guitar by Darryl Mott

Malach the Maleficent played by Darren Morrissey

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

ChaosOS

Legend
Great episode! Interesting questions, people are going to really need to dig deep to find the canon answer to question #2

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Ok, you got me. I'll be listening to the podcast. I LOVE your content @Morrus , but the podcasts are too long individually - really? An hour 40 minutes? Too long. I wish they were more frequent yet shorter 20 minute pods.

And what's the deadline to the contest?

Abstruse

Legend
Ok, you got me. I'll be listening to the podcast. I LOVE your content @Morrus , but the podcasts are too long individually - really? An hour 40 minutes? Too long. I wish they were more frequent yet shorter 20 minute pods.

And what's the deadline to the contest?
I try to keep the episodes to 60-75 minutes if possible when editing, but there are times when it's difficult. Even though material that's cut isn't "lost" because it's available to our fabulous Patreon backers at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon as part of the weekly Bonus Content episode available the day after the main podcasts releases (plug plug), it is still going behind a paywall since the Bonus Content episode is Patreon exclusive. So my choices in editing are cut news stories (which it's a news podcast, I can't really do that), cut material from our guests (which I rarely do because they're our guests and highlighting their content is the reason we have them on), or cut anything that isn't directly related to the show like jokes (which makes the show come off as dry and saps it of its personality).

Unfortunately, that means some episodes creep past the 80 minute mark or go up to an hour and a half. I know this can be an issue for some listeners because they listen to podcasts as part of a daily routine - commuting, exercising, etc. and longer episodes means finishing the task before the podcast's finished playing. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of giving listeners more content because...well, you can always pause it and come back later. Listen to the news segment and Our Favorite Game, pause, come back the next day and listen to the sketch and the main topic. Two podcasts for the price of one!

But in case you think that means there's nothing left for our lovely Patreon backers at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon (plug plug), think again! I swear I cut a good 20ish minutes of Star Trek talk that was completely unrelated to the new release from Star Trek Adventures and that's before I get to go in and record my two cents to add during editing :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At one point we were worried (not worried) it was turning into a Star Trek podcast! But it sounds like most of that content ended up in the bonus episode on Patreon.

As long as all the callbacks still work!

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I try to keep the episodes to 60-75 minutes if possible when editing, but there are times when it's difficult. Even though material that's cut isn't "lost" because it's available to our fabulous Patreon backers at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon as part of the weekly Bonus Content episode available the day after the main podcasts releases (plug plug), it is still going behind a paywall since the Bonus Content episode is Patreon exclusive. So my choices in editing are cut news stories (which it's a news podcast, I can't really do that), cut material from our guests (which I rarely do because they're our guests and highlighting their content is the reason we have them on), or cut anything that isn't directly related to the show like jokes (which makes the show come off as dry and saps it of its personality).

Unfortunately, that means some episodes creep past the 80 minute mark or go up to an hour and a half. I know this can be an issue for some listeners because they listen to podcasts as part of a daily routine - commuting, exercising, etc. and longer episodes means finishing the task before the podcast's finished playing. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of giving listeners more content because...well, you can always pause it and come back later. Listen to the news segment and Our Favorite Game, pause, come back the next day and listen to the sketch and the main topic. Two podcasts for the price of one!

But in case you think that means there's nothing left for our lovely Patreon backers at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon (plug plug), think again! I swear I cut a good 20ish minutes of Star Trek talk that was completely unrelated to the new release from Star Trek Adventures and that's before I get to go in and record my two cents to add during editing :p

Another option is to have 3 different podcasts, but all in the same subscription stream. So have a news episode, a guest episode, and a commentary episode. And they are episodes 123, 124, and 125 in the stream and so forth and so on. But each is only 25-30 mins long; and release 2-3 times a week.

Also note, I'm one voice in the wind. You guys have probably done surveys of your listenership and shown that they prefer the longer pods. So go with those guys - they were already your supporters.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Ok so what overlaps are there between these 3 that I should be aware of? Which overlaps take precedence?

Exploring Eberron
Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron
Eberron: Rising from the Last War

Ok so what overlaps are there between these 3 that I should be aware of? Which overlaps take precedence?

Exploring Eberron
Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron
Eberron: Rising from the Last War
Eberron: Rising from the Last War is an official Wizards of the Coast release. It is the 5e Eberron book as WotC is concerned.

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was a prototype, a "test document" of sorts to see if there was interest in official Eberron material. It covers many of the same topics as Rising, and as of Rising's release, it's considered outdated.

Exploring Eberron is entirely 3rd party/homebrew and not associated with WotC in any way. It is Keith Baker's personal vision of the setting - with input from Will Brolley, Wayne Chang, and Laura Hirsbrunner among others, but still primarily Baker's work. Exploring Eberron focuses on topics that were not touched on in Rising, or in Eberron material from past editions for that matter. Hence there isn't a lot of overlap between Rising and Exploring, outside of common, setting-wide themes and elements.

Ideally I would say that the order would go Rising -> Exploring -> Wayfinders', but Rising has quite a few typos and lore mistakes that slipped past editing, so personally I'd place Exploring above Rising.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads