D&D 5E Point buy vs roll

Which method fo you use for generating ability scores?

• Point buy

• Roll

• Both

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oofta

Legend
I don't think it matters as much as the reason for having an overpowering character in the first place, is it because some enjoy the feeling of power, is it because of jealousy towards other players, or is it (as I've seen a number of time) the player being afraid of either his character dying or a kind of "peer pressure" of having an efficient character ?
It's not about jealousy or peer pressure if I had a sub-par PC, that's putting a quite negative spin on it. It would be more disappointment that I wouldn't feel like I was contributing to the team.

To a certain degree it is feeling like my PC is one of the best at what they do. What can I say? I don't think some wish fulfillment while playing a game is a bad thing. I've always been proud of my success at my chosen career, I don't want to play someone who's below the curve. On the other hand I don't want my PC to be a Marty Stue either I want trade-offs when I level and get an ASI, it's part of the fun.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And I will spend at least a 100 to 1 ratio of actually playing my character rather than creating it, so I'd rather have an equal footing for the playing than the basis for generation.
Whereas I like @Lanefan prefer equitable footing. It seems Lanefan is conflating equal and equitable. Point Buy is also equitable, but with a more narrow range of possible disparity. Array is equal.

I wonder if that's a major driver or how people feel: an overpowered character is fun at first but that wears off pretty fast (a couple months at most), whereas having a concept you're really interested in (and able to express) stays engaging for years.

Some DMs are also not good at adjusting their campaigns to compensate for either a bunch of sub-par or overpowered PCs, especially if they are running published modules. You either end up with a TPK or a bunch of bored players.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok. I haven't been following it regularly, but it seemed to me that point-buy was always in the lead. I could easily be wrong, however. 🤷‍♂️
Nope. I was watching it fairly closely, because rolling was in the lead for several hours and I was interested to see if point buy would gain. Then one time when I came back and looked, suddenly point buy was ahead.

Oofta

Legend
Ok. I haven't been following it regularly, but it seemed to me that point-buy was always in the lead. I could easily be wrong, however. 🤷‍♂️
I don't remember seeing a jump one way or another either. The numbers have been consistent once there were more than a dozen or so people answering.

Also fairly consistent with previous polls.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases