Poll: 1E or 2E?

If you had a yen for old school AD&D, would you rather run a game in 1E or 2E?

• I'd run 1E. Pure buttery Gygax goodness for me baby!

Votes: 126 51.2%
  • I'd run 2E. It made the 1E ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • 1E and 2E is what they play in old folks' homes! Why bother?

Votes: 37 15.0%

Cevalic

First Post
If going with a hybrid of the two, I would have to recommend Hackmaster. I know a lot of people laugh at it, but its basically just a mash up of 1E and 2E with a few new things added in (specifically the skills). You dont need to use the honor system or other little things, but it definately does a great job as a system. The humor can be taken out, and I think is dramatically overstated by people who dislike Hackmaster.

Remathilis

Legend
2nd edition: give me the clarity of a good editor (and a usable table of contents) over the meandering elegance of Gygax's prose anyday.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If anyone ever gets such a yen, come to a North Carolina Gameday. :) I've been running 1E Events for those on and off for about 3 years now.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I wouldn't be able to run 1e even if I wanted to, as it's almost impossible for me to figure out what the rules actually are, they're so badly presented and explained. And when I do finally grasp a rule, I realise it wasn't worth the effort.

So 2e. The rules are: a) comprehensible and, b) not as bad as 1e. Though really I'd go B/X D&D if I wanted old school.

The one thing you can say in 1e's favour is it encouraged a strong culture of houseruling. Provided you're into houseruling, that is. With 1e you have to be.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I voted for 2e but never really saw much difference in the games. What 2e had was a clear and user friendly layout. Also had much better support in terms of game supplements. (Yeah they got out of hand eventually but one can always ignore a new splat book.)

frankthedm

First Post
Hard to say, I'd probably use the best Of OD&D, 1E, Basic, Moldvay Basic, Elmore basic, 2E, Hackmaster and Castles & Crusades.

Last edited:

Aqua Vitae

First Post
Page said:
One problem - I don't know whether to run 1E or 2E!

Good question.

May I recommend Troll Lords Castles & Crusades? The authors had sentiments very much like yours! They were very nostalgic for 1E, but desired a smooth system with quick resolution mechanisms. So, they streamlined D&D 3.5 and repackaged it, under OGL of course, within an obviously nostalgic-for-1E structure.

They even dedicated their "Player's Handbook" to the late Gygax.

C&C also has the advantage of being (as someone said) 90% compatible with 1E and 2E materials. Conversion of adventures can be undertaken quickly. There is a nice assortment of classes, including our old favorites such as Assassins and Monks, with new ones, such as Knights, thrown in for additional flavor.

I'm actually using my own class system, one I grafted onto 3.5, but that is another matter, of course.

Anyway, go check it out! If you are skeptical, there is a PDF called the "Condensed" version of the game system. It gives you a very nice overview and enough rules to start playing.

Korgoth

First Post
diaglo said:
OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing.

diaglo threadwins, obviously.

For the purposes of the poll I said 1E. Whenever something ridiculous (like Initiative) comes up I'd just pretend I was playing Moldvay instead.

Looks like I'm going to get to run a trio through Tamoachan pretty soon. Which is a good thing... Tloques Popolocas Yohualli-Ehecatl, Master of the Outsiders, grows hungry after his long sleep. Here comes fresh meat!

Remove ads